New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Niagara County inundated with pistol permit, 'opt-out' applications - City & Region - The Buffalo News

I am absolutely flabbergasted on why, in world of increasingly scare tax dollars, that "opt out" is not the default condition for availability of pistol permit info. I can't think of a single reason why any one would want to have their permit info freely available. Absolutely infuriating that our legislators show such lack of interest in saving money AND protecting the personal information of law abiding citizens.

· Registered
513 Posts
Niagara County inundated with pistol permit, 'opt-out' applications - City & Region - The Buffalo News

I am absolutely flabbergasted on why, in world of increasingly scare tax dollars, that "opt out" is not the default condition for availability of pistol permit info. I can't think of a single reason why any one would want to have their permit info freely available. Absolutely infuriating that our legislators show such lack of interest in saving money AND protecting the personal information of law abiding citizens.
Once the purchase of ammunition begins being recorded will that NEW database require an opt out to protect the buyer's information?

bosco

· Registered
82 Posts
I just filled out that form for Ontario. It is ridiculous that they are asking that I have "grounds" for not wanting my information public. This is just another way the state is intimidating gun owners. As a side benefit they can release our information and point the cause of home invasions on gun ownership. This may be better known as the "NYS 2nd Amendment Gun Nut Registry". I have generally rejected all these conspiracy theories but I'm starting to get nervous.

All pistol permit holders should do this so I am not isolated as an upstart;-)

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Niagara has always held a policy of refusal to disclose pistol permit holder info. That was their default. What I'm wondering is if the SAFE Act actually did the opposite - mandated counties to disclose pistol permit info UNLESS the opt-out form was completed.

· Registered
3,611 Posts
Niagara has always held a policy of refusal to disclose pistol permit holder info. That was their default. What I'm wondering is if the SAFE Act actually did the opposite - mandated counties to disclose pistol permit info UNLESS the opt-out form was completed.
Chris, I wouldn't doubt that the change was caused by the unSAFE Act!

· Registered
75 Posts
Niagara County's default was not one of refusal. I spoke personally with the clerk, he assured me that is FOiL was filed, he would have been forced to disclose the info.

· Registered
53 Posts
Niagara County's default was not one of refusal. I spoke personally with the clerk, he assured me that is FOiL was filed, he would have been forced to disclose the info.
The opt-out provision is effectively useless.

You have two options:

1) You do not make your information private, in which case a Freedom of Information Law request asking for your name and address on a pistol permit application will be disclosed;

OR

2) You do make your information private, in which case a Freedom of Information Law request asking for your name and address on a pistol permit application will not be disclosed and the requestor will be advised that the information is "specifically exempted from disclosure by state or federal statute. See Public Officers Law Article 6, Section 87.

But in either case, a person will know if you have a pistol permit and eventually your address. It will take longer in 2) - about as long as it takes for someone to look up your address on the Internet.

The protections offered by this portion of SAFE are useless - and frankly, it was intentionally designed to be that way.

One of the proposed amendments to the law should be to make all the information private by default, but I doubt that will happen. One note - ONLY name and address on the application for a GRANTED license is disclosable ("the name and address of any person to whom an application for any license has been granted shall be a public record." ( NY Penal Law 400.00.5)

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Hmmm. They were interviewed on the media on at least 2 occasions recently (before the UNSAFE Act) where Patti claimed that they would not release pistol permit holder info. I know they denied the Buffalo News.

· Registered
3,225 Posts
Hmmm. They were interviewed on the media on at least 2 occasions recently (before the UNSAFE Act) where Patti claimed that they would not release pistol permit holder info. I know they denied the Buffalo News.
Livingston County, I've been told, has the same policy; never did and never will give out any info.

Hurricane, your point in number two above is very interesting. I'm going to have to look into that.

· Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OR

2) You do make your information private, in which case a Freedom of Information Law request asking for your name and address on a pistol permit application will not be disclosed and the requestor will be advised that the information is "specifically exempted from disclosure by state or federal statute. See Public Officers Law Article 6, Section 87.
Yeah but wouldn't the requester have to provide the name of the person they are requesting info for? Example: I want to know if Joe Blow has a pistol permit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.