New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Vikings' Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case - CNN.com

"A grand jury has indicted star NFL running back Adrian Peterson on a felony charge of injury to a child, spurring the Montgomery County, Texas, Sheriff's Office to issue a warrant for his arrest."

He "disciplined" his 4 year old son with a tree branch.
Pictures of the injuries: http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/w...dicted-in-child-injury-5751666.php#item-33389

I don't care if this is how he was raised. This to me isn't an excuse. How can you not be able to tell wrong from right? His attorney said he hit his son 14-15 times and it was "an act of love." Maybe he should "love" him a little less.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
It's called a switch. It sounds like perhaps you've never heard of the practice. A supple, thin length of "branch" is applied to the backside. It looks like Peterson went well beyond corporal punishment. Poor kid.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's called a switch. It sounds like perhaps you've never heard of the practice. A supple, thin length of "branch" is applied to the backside. It looks like Peterson went well beyond corporal punishment. Poor kid.
You are correct. I have never heard of the "practice". I have never whipped/abused my kids.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
OMG!! Buford ... say it for me ....

I'll tell you what. You ask anyone that was brought up in the 70's, 80's and earlier and ask if they EVER did something again after getting smacked with a belt or a switch (stick) or some other smack from a parent!! Kids nowadays CAN'T be disciplined at all ... because the govt knows what's best for you and your children whom will grow up with so much disrespect that they'll order you around!! They won't say please, thank you, may I, nor will they do something for someone else out of respect. **** this country's BS govt and that govt's BS agencies!! Don't get me wrong ... beating a kid with anything out of your own anger is NOT what I'm talking about. I'm talking about ... say a kid smacks the neighbor's child intentionally with a stick to be the "tough one". When Daddy finds out ... the kid gets it right back to see how it feels!! Lesson learned hence the saying .. "OWWWW!!!! THAT SMARTS!!!" .... or you can choose the way it is now and when they turn teenage, they wear their pants down at the knees and the hat sideways and listen to gangsta rap because they wanna be a thug because they KNOW noone can touch them and being a criminal like in the videos showing drug sales and pimping and looting are AWESOME!! Don't forget the wads of cash that's in the hands of the rappers in the vids either!
That's what the govt thinks is best. (damn I'm sounding like my Father the older I get.) I'm looking at this as the Mother is looking to cause trouble for AP because one ... he has and ass ton of money and two .... she thinks she can get more out of him AND ruin his career. Did anyone else notice that the pics were removed?? They can't confirm that the pics that were up were pics of his child!! They didn't forget to mention he has 3 homes in a certain area and he has this and that and ...... money money money!!

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely am against more government intrusion. I do believe in disciplining children and teaching them right from wrong. I do believe in teaching children to respect others as well as themselves. I do believe that the current generation is spoiled beyond belief. My wife and I have raised two boys, 14 and 17. They are straight A students, happy, healthy productive members of society. They are polite, say thank you, you are welcome, please, etc.. From the beginning, we have always been complemented on how they act in public. Just the other day, one of our neighbors made a point of telling my wife how impressed she was with our older son and what a great job we have done in raising him. We have done all of this without ever laying a hand or "switch" on them. I am not saying this to start an argument or to pat ourselves on the back and say how great we are, I am saying this to point out it can be done without being physical.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
My mother had no problem giving me a good slap across the face if I got out of line with an adult. And it worked, she only had to do it once or twice. This is different than that. Far different.

That kid looks like an extra from the movie 12 Years a Slave. They need to give Peterson some jail time for that, and follow up afterwards with probation until any child he has is of legal age. Just another baller who needs the criminal justice system to show him right from wrong.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Watching the discussion right now about this. Ray Lewis and Keyshawn Johnson saying how their mom's whipping and hitting them have made them better men and it was the best things for them. Yeah, Ray Lewis turned out great Slayings not forgotten, Ray Lewis not forgiven All they are good at is playing football. I get that this is all they know based on their upbringing, BUT IT WAS WRONG. Again, I have NEVER laid a hand on my boys. HOW THE HELL HAVE I RAISED TWO GOOD KIDS THEN????? I can't take this mentality. Chris Carter is one of the few who gets it. He passionately spoke on the panel and basically called out Lewis and Johnson. He said he is proud that his former team, the Vikings, deactivated Peterson. How about that, a black athlete not condoning abuse because they were raised the same way.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Im born 1974, lived here in Putnam 30 of 40..from a great polite nice well mannered family and blah blah blah..me and my sisters got the kitchen "wooden spoon" every once in a blue moon, and we got the belt from dad maybe 2xs in my whole life. Nobody sued and i never yelled back or disrespected my parents again, i was embaressed and i learned my leason. Now im a parent of a 14 and 12 years old. tis a funny world where..1st off i would never hit them with anything 2nd the society has made it so we have been brainwashed into thinking youd be such a terrible parent and all over the media..stupid world we live now, were all the kids do is ignore us and disrespect and yet nobody is allowed to disciplin your children without fear of repurcussions..BAH!

oh yea ps..
Dr E..i love the thread title..cracks me up..well played

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
There's a difference between spanking your kid and beating your kid. IMO, this clearly falls into the latter.

I was spanked twice as a child. Once when I was 4 or 5. My sister, who is a year older, and I walked down our driveway and down the road 1/4 mile. We lived out in the country, but it was a fairly well traveled road. The other time, I was about 7 and threw a rock at my sister. I hit her from 15 or 20 yards away. My parents never hit me out of anger or frustration and I deserved it both times.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
Another playa gets arrested! It's all about money, as soon as sponsors dumped Vikings they suspended Peterson. As long as fans are willing to spend outrageous money on tickets, food and parking to watch bunch of thugs play ball NFL couldn't care less what they do off the field: beating women, children, murder, rape and assault.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Did anyone else notice that the pics were removed?? They can't confirm that the pics that were up were pics of his child!!
Child/domestic abuse may be only one of the issues the NFL is currently facing with these cases. The other issue would be our society's current willingness to hold public lynchings based on media reports that forgo proper investigation in favor of generating ratings. What if it turns out that these photos weren't of Peterson's child? What if this actually turns out to be a blackmailing money grab?

It's dangerous the way the media makes everything into a circus these days, and how news outlets take sides in cases instead of reporting the facts. Add in the race baiters who live off controversy and an attorney general who has been reportedly promoting unrest, and we're successfully undermining the criminal justice system.

Congratulations! The courts found you innocent, but your life was already ruined long before your case ever went to trial.

Obviously the NFL has some work to do regardless of Peterson's guilt or innocence. The guys playing in the NFL are in the media spotlight AND their wealth tends to attract unsavory characters. That's a pretty potent mix. These players really need some coaching and instruction on their personal conduct starting the day they are drafted. I know it's not likely to be suggested, and plenty of people will laugh at me for suggesting it, but sleeping around really isn't a good idea for these guys.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
No, the NFL Is Not a Hotbed of Wife and Child Beaters

NFL - National Felon League
This is apparently NOT TRUE.
_____

No, the NFL Is Not a Hotbed of Wife and Child Beaters | RedState

Morris found that NFL arrest rates for DUI were about one-fourth the general rate; for non-domestic assault, about one-sixth; for sex offenses, about one-half; and for non-violent gun-related offenses, about one-half.

Overall, arrest rates in the NFL are only 13 percent those for the general public among men aged 25 to 30.

Morris shows that NFL player incidence of criminality is less than the general public in every single category. The facts speak for themselves: The NFL is not a hotbed of criminals, wife-beaters, child-abusers and rapists. Yes, each time one of these incidents happens, it is deplorable. But to single out the NFL and its players as an institution that must be targeted for punitive actions is just plain wrong.
_____

Let us not allow ourselves be led by what the mainstream media puts on our screens every day. Instead, let's try to figure out the agenda advanced by those who inisist on painting images for us to absorb.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Football players are paid to be monsters on the field. I can't imagine you can easily turn that off when you go home. But as Phazer said, the media is targeting them in the same way they target the 2A.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
These players really need some coaching and instruction on their personal conduct starting the day they are drafted. I know it's not likely to be suggested, and plenty of people will laugh at me for suggesting it, but sleeping around really isn't a good idea for these guys.
They do get it. However, it's only a few days long and most of it is probably forgotten rather quickly.
NFL Communications - NFL Rookie Symposium Kicks Off Sunday, Sessions to Stress History, Total Wellness, Experience & Professionalism «

1 - 16 of 16 Posts