New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, there has been a rash of reports from students about the following: When you go to buy ammo, the store asks you for your permit, takes it, writes down your name, permit number, and amount of ammo purchased in some 'book'.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL

Although any store can place any restriction or policies on the sale of any item to any person as long as they do not discriminate under the federally protected criteria, some are going way above and beyond.

From the BATF:

Q: Are the ammunition record-keeping requirements the same as for firearms?
A: No. No records are required for ammunition other than armor piercing ammunition. Disposition records must be kept by licensed manufacturers, importers, and collectors for transactions in armor piercing ammunition.
[27 CFR 178.125]

No retail store is required to collect ANY info regarding the sale or transfer of ammunition. Some have even made copies (front and back) of the permit as well.

NY State law requires you to be 21 to buy pistol ammo. There is no mention of a permit. If you go to get ammo and they ask you for anything more than 'possibly' to look at your permit, not take it from you and copy any info from it, then ask to see a manager. Ask them why they need to do what they are asking. If they say anything like "It's a law" then have them prove it. Show you the "law". (Don't worry, it does not exist)

It's one thing to have ridiculous policies that do not make sense, but it is a whole other level to pass the buck and say that "It's a law" when it is not. They are preying on the fact that we are all too milling to 'fall in line' when someone says "It's a law. You have to do this" when we don't even have the idea to actually verify.

Obviously, you could be faced with a couple outcomes: They stick to their policy and you can't get the ammo unless you provide what they ask, they give in and allow you to purchase the ammo without you having to provide the irrelevant info, or you simply walk away and refuse to give them your money.

Just keeping you informed.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Do you know what stores use this ammo log book?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I certainly hope what Dave outlined in the OP continues to hold true, especially in light of all the negative PR floating around right now about ammo purchases in general. Seems like even if permit checks aren't law now, they could be in the future if certain politicians get their way...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Right Chris, I agree with you. The whole Dick's Rant I had was that with the diversity of carbines and rifles, it is very difficult to differentiate and determine exactly what ammo is 'pistol only' ammo.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Gander in Henrietta no longer asks to see a permit for handgun ammo. They ask for birthday but don't ask for a DL.

What store is wrting down this information?

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Last time I bought ammo it was from Dicks, they didnt ask for anything other than payment

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Dicks in Vestal had me answer a "are you a U.S. citizen" question on the card reader. I thought that was odd. Never had to do that before.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's some more info:

From NY PL Section 270 (4) and (5):

4. Sales of ammunition not prohibited. Nothing contained in this
section shall be construed to prevent, or interfere in any way with, the
sale of ammunition for revolvers or pistols of any kind, or for rifles,
shot guns, or other arms, belonging or which may belong to any persons
whether as sporting or hunting weapons or for the purpose of protection
to them in their homes, or, as they may go abroad; and manufacturers are
authorized to continue to manufacture, and wholesalers and dealers to
continue to deal in and freely to sell ammunition to all such persons
for such purposes.
5. Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision four of this
section, it shall be unlawful for any dealer in firearms to sell any
ammunition designed exclusively for use in a pistol or revolver to any
person, not authorized to possess a pistol or revolver. The violation
of this section shall constitute a class B misdemeanor.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I bought .270 ammo at dicks, no problem.
I bought .40 ammo at a local gun store in batvia and they took down my DL numbers and such, They asked for my permint but I told them I didn't have one yet.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
age verification, them having all the information on file is just an unfortunate consequence. Not sure of another way to verify age.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, why would you submit your info even though it is not required? That's what the sheep do, not a sheepdog like you! LOL

More on this from a student:

Hi Dave,
yesterday, I went to Dick's at the Greece Ridge mall.
They have 9mm Remington umc ammo on sale for 12.98, (2 bucks off).
So, I ask the sales guy for 10 boxes. no problem, he loads them up in a box for me. We chat a few minutes and I head to the register. Then another store employee chats with him and he follows me to the register standing off a bit, but it was obvious.
Once the young woman scans my first box of ammo her register screen popped up "enter date of birth".
There were people in line behind me so, I reluctantly told her. Then the screen popped up a Form to enter pistol permit number and date ! She asked me for it. I asked her," why? There has never been a problem before. Has the state or federal laws changed?"
she said ..."they changed our registers" I told her,politely, " I don't have it with me." (I had no intention of letting her store my PP info into their database) She then asked if the ammo was for a pistol or long gun... I told her "both". She hit the screen button and rang up my sale. I paid with a credit card and off I went. the store security guy that was watching me said, "Have a nice day Sir."

I called my NYS Senator George Maziarz's office and told them that Dick's is Compiling NYS pistol permit info Into their computer database for ammo sales. I also called a MC Judge that I know and told the aide the same story. They both are going to get back to me. ( I will let you know what they say)

Also, for those that "do" give that info to the cashier, all the people in line BEHIND them are watching and listening too.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
Barrett's Marine Sporting Goods in Batavia.
i can't stand that store. they tried to sell me obviously post-ban glock mags claiming they were preban.
i'm from batavia, so i know it all too well. good place to top off propane tanks though lol
all my friends 'back home' shop there though as what else are they to do locally, even though they've all been treated like sh*t at one point or another too.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's amazing that people will return to a place they got crappy service or even what they will accept (knowing they do not have to) out of convenience or absence of the thought process of researching options.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The local Wallmart had a sign about a year ago that read: "NY State Law requires Wallmart to verify a customer has a NYS pistol permit to purchase handgun ammunition". After I spoke to several employees and the manager, the sign was changed to read: "Customers must have ID showing that you are 21 or older before purchasing ammunition for a handgun."

·
Registered
808 Posts
i can't stand that store. they tried to sell me obviously post-ban glock mags claiming they were preban.
i'm from batavia, so i know it all too well. good place to top off propane tanks though lol
all my friends 'back home' shop there though as what else are they to do locally, even though they've all been treated like sh*t at one point or another too.
I'm not far from there, The other 2 local stores are WORSE. Yes A&K sale in corfu? wouldn't talk to me, took me 10 mins to be "buzzed" in.
The other place in batavia, is used cars sales men. So you ask if they have a AR they will talk to you for 20 mins of why you should buy the bolt action they have in stock.
There is ONE person I will deal with at barretts and he won't take down my info, if he isn't there I just walk out.
They took down my DL info, not my PP info, I told them the ammo was a figt for my dad.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you look at 270 (5), you see where they can't sell it to anyone that cannot possess a handgun.......

1 - 20 of 43 Posts