New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally completed NYC permit process. I took my first purchase, a Ruger security six (1978) .357mag. I cleaned it, changed front site and went to the range. (BTW, bought used of course on one of the major websites). Took 100 rounds of 158g .38spl fmj. I had a locked cylinder about 12 times and about 40 failures. Line officer said try 6 rounds that I have (different manufacturer) but cylinder failed on 3rd round of his stuff. Took upstairs to the smith, he said timing was good, he tried it downstairs at the range and couldn't get it to fail. He did say he thought it was dirty down deep. Came home, sat down, followed vid on YT and totally disassembled. Cleaned to an inch of it's life and re-assembled. Dry firing everything is working as it should, but since I never did this before I am a bit scared I did something wrong and it's going to blow up in my hand next time. I am a pro mechanic in another field and extremely proficient with tools. I did find a tiny burr on the leading edge point of the hammer. I used 320 emory to clean and smooth it, and polished up to 4000 grit. I can't find any vids that address function testing on a revolver, so can anyone offer a pointer or two? Just trying to be a safe and responsible new owner.

· Registered
406 Posts
The Ruger Security Six has a reputation for being built like a tank. Disassembly, cleaning and reassembly is not going to hurt it. If pulling the trigger makes the hammer fall in single action, and makes the cylinder go round and the hammer does what it is supposed to do, you put it back together correctly. It won't blow up, especially with .38's.

Ain't YouTube great?

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Ruger Security Six has a reputation for being built like a tank. Disassembly, cleaning and reassembly is not going to hurt it. If pulling the trigger makes the hammer fall in single action, and makes the cylinder go round and the hammer does what it is supposed to do, you put it back together correctly. It won't blow up, especially with .38's.

Ain't YouTube great?
Thanks!

· Premium Member
436 Posts
I have A newer Ruger Stainless Steel SEC SIX .357 MAG . 4" Factory Rubber grips.. Sort of had the same problem. I was A contractor NRC Nuclear Security, issued old 9mm Browning High power. Could carry what ever you could Qual. with. I Got my Queen , practiced like hell . Now here on Long shit island .357 Ammo is big $$$$ so used cheap and cheaper re-loads. The mistake you and I made is dirty AMMO. Cylinder to Barrel gap on the Ruger security six is set to go into combat, not at a nice police range. . Use Factory fresh .38 and . 357 Mag. Practice with a MIX of 4 38 and 2 357. You will understand why when you do. . Best of luck, may you never have to use her to defend you LIFE

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have A newer Ruger Stainless Steel SEC SIX .357 MAG . 4" Factory Rubber grips.. Sort of had the same problem. I was A contractor NRC Nuclear Security, issued old 9mm Browning High power. Could carry what ever you could Qual. with. I Got my Queen , practiced like hell . Now here on Long shit island .357 Ammo is big $$$$ so used cheap and cheaper re-loads. The mistake you and I made is dirty AMMO. Cylinder to Barrel gap on the Ruger security six is set to go into combat, not at a nice police range. . Use Factory fresh .38 and . 357 Mag. Practice with a MIX of 4 38 and 2 357. You will understand why when you do. . Best of luck, may you never have to use her to defend you LIFE
Thanks, however I thought I was using good ammo. It was Federal .38spl 158 grain. I ordered it from Beneli in Florida because it was the only place that had target rounds.

· Registered
377 Posts
I would send the Revolver back to Ruger. They will replace any worn or defective parts. If the revolver was misfiring or jamming the cylinder that many times, it could be a worn hand and cylinder issue.

· Registered
389 Posts
Ruger stands behind all of their guns 100%. Ive had a few issues with my half dozen Ruger firearms, and every one of them was repaired, no questions asked. Half of the reason my wife and i are Ruger people is that warranty.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would send the Revolver back to Ruger. They will replace any worn or defective parts. If the revolver was misfiring or jamming the cylinder that many times, it could be a worn hand and cylinder issue.
I hope you are wrong because I called Ruger this afternoon. They said parts aren't really available anymore. They said if I send it and they can duplicate the issue they will see if it is repairable. Now does anyone know if a NYC permittee can ship direct to them? (Ruger said yes) I am guessing I will have to my FFL do it. Also once it is shipped it is out of control, so if it is lost/stolen could you be held criminally liable if it turns up in a crime? Thinking I was being careful and responsible I opted out of a new Glock 45 for this gun and it might cost me 6 month wait to replace it and a hefty$ loss to boot. Not a happy new owner.

· Registered
377 Posts
I hope you are wrong because I called Ruger this afternoon. They said parts aren't really available anymore. They said if I send it and they can duplicate the issue they will see if it is repairable. Now does anyone know if a NYC permittee can ship direct to them? (Ruger said yes) I am guessing I will have to my FFL do it. Also once it is shipped it is out of control, so if it is lost/stolen could you be held criminally liable if it turns up in a crime? Thinking I was being careful and responsible I opted out of a new Glock 45 for this gun and it might cost me 6 month wait to replace it and a hefty$ loss to boot. Not a happy new owner.
Ruger is still a reputable company, we had Ruger Security Six revolvers along Smith and Wesson revolvers in our department before going to the Glock 9mm. When I read your post about the revolver jamming up that many times, it is likely a mechanical problem. We had revolvers jam up. Not saying revolvers are unreliable. They are prone to malfunctioning when not properly maintained. From bent ejection rods to bullets that jumped the crimp in the cylinder locking up the revolver. These things happen, it’s not something you want in a real life and death situation.
Buying new or used from a local gun store who will back up the sale is always a bonus.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ruger is still a reputable company, we had Ruger Security Six revolvers along Smith and Wesson revolvers in our department before going to the Glock 9mm. When I read your post about the revolver jamming up that many times, it is likely a mechanical problem. We had revolvers jam up. Not saying revolvers are unreliable. They are prone to malfunctioning when not properly maintained. From bent ejection rods to bullets that jumped the crimp in the cylinder locking up the revolver. These things happen, it’s not something you want in a real life and death situation.
Buying new or used from a local gun store who will back up the sale is always a bonus.
I am just hoping that it can be repaired easily, and thanks for the response.

· Registered
178 Posts
Do yourself a favor and pay a gun dealer to ship it and receive it.
Just curious why you chose this model?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts