New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am new to Ontario county and firearms in general. I have never fired a gun but this is a sport I've wanted to get in to for the last decade. I just submitted the paperwork for a pistol permit today as well. I am on the lookout for a good shooting range in the Rochester/Canandaigua area. I am also looking for someone willing to give me some pointers and get me on the right track for good technique.

I am planning to purchase my first rifle in the spring and a pistol when I get my permit.

Any advice or help is appreciated!

Greg

· Registered
2,127 Posts
Welcome! Glad to have you here!

Any idea what discipline you are looking at getting into? You mentioned a rifle, so long range precision shooting? There are so many different shooting sports and some clubs focus more heavily on one or the other...
Good luck with your permit! When you get it, make sure you handle as many pistols as you can. Finding the right fit for your hand is key. If it feels good, you;ll like shooting it and shoot it more often. Take a class or two. One of the site sponsors might be a good place to start for some pistol training.
MDTS Training, LLC

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At this point I'm not sure specifically what discipline I want to focus on. I only mentioned rifle because it seems like a good place to start for general practice and orientation into the world of shooting. I know I would like to get into pistol competitions once I have the permit. I would also like to give clays a shot. At this point everything looks fun so I want to try as much as I can.

· Registered
2,127 Posts
At this point I'm not sure specifically what discipline I want to focus on. I only mentioned rifle because it seems like a good place to start for general practice and orientation into the world of shooting. I know I would like to get into pistol competitions once I have the permit. I would also like to give clays a shot. At this point everything looks fun so I want to try as much as I can.
You dont HAVE to go with only one! Enjoy em all! (I warn you it will get expensive!) I just wast sure if you had one or two that you had a specific interest in.

· Registered
151 Posts
Welcome

· Registered
5,312 Posts
Greg -

Welcome to Ontario County and NYF!

I have a marina on Canandaigua Lake and am a member at Canandaigua Sportsman's Club. It's a nice club and will afford you the facilities to shoot clays, rifle and handguns. Dues are only $125 a year.

Drop me a pm with your contact number if you need more info and once again, welcome!

· Registered
151 Posts
......am a member at Canandaigua Sportsman's Club. It's a nice club and will afford you the facilities to shoot clays, rifle and handguns. Dues are only $125 a year.
They have one of the best clay ranges I've seen. My parents are members.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.