New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm currently engaged in a dialogue with the NYTimes about the national concealed carry reciprocity legislation. They printed an opinion piece stating that if the national bill passes then anyone can carry in Times Square. The Times has conceded all state laws would apply. Everything I've ever read says permit holders from New York State can not concealed carry in New York City. Does anyone know which statute of New York City states this? I looked it up on the government webpage, searched the net, searched this site, tried find it in the actual statutes, and am stumped. If anyone can tell me which statute prohibits concealed carry permit holders from carrying in New York City I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Here you go, this is a NYS law.

6. License: validity. Any license issued pursuant to this section shall be valid notwithstanding the provisions of any local law or ordinance. No license shall be transferable to any other person or premises. A license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, not otherwise limited as to place or time of possession, shall be effective throughout the state, except that the same shall not be valid within the city of New York unless a special permit granting validity is issued by the police commissioner of that city

Laws of New York

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a million, I read that three times and still misunderstood. I feel like a moron, but thanks a million! I'm from NH - you are welcome to come up here and open carry any time you want

·
Registered
745 Posts
Here you go, this is a NYS law.

6. License: validity. Any license issued pursuant to this section shall be valid notwithstanding the provisions of any local law or ordinance. No license shall be transferable to any other person or premises. A license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, not otherwise limited as to place or time of possession, shall be effective throughout the state, except that the same shall not be valid within the city of New York unless a special permit granting validity is issued by the police commissioner of that city

Laws of New York
Now the follow-up question, what makes NYC so special? And what prevents some random city in NY from asking for something similar? Pretty soon you'd have hundreds of towns and villages that don't honor the STATE pistol license, and you'd go insane trying to keep track if you're driving through the state.

·
6,795 Posts
NYC is so special because its the most corrupt city in NYS and always been corrupt. The City government probably wanted to disarm the gangs and anyone else who stood in the way of what they wanted.

It looks like the law allows other cities and towns to outlaw carrying pistols.

·
Registered
183 Posts
the n y c sullivan law is and was designed as a purely racist act aimed at black and italian groups in the city run by the irish because unarmed these groups could not defend against the city machine run by the irish politicians and police dept.
i'm not anti irish just speaking the law as i know it to be it and the different people who came to power after them expanded and exploited it take the current tyrant living in gracie mansion.

·
6,795 Posts
I do find it interesting though that a drivers license (privilege that causes a lot of deaths each year) is good throughout the state, yet a pistol permit (right) is not.
Also when your a kid you have less freedoms to do what you want but as you get older you are allowed to make more choices for yourself. Yet the older the country becomes the less we are allowed to do and the less the Constitution means anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts