New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just figured I would share this here and get some opinions/suggestions. I just picked up a new XDs9 from Johnsons in Lkpt. I have bought there a bunch of times, had firearms shipped there using them as a FFL and also bought fishing gear and apparell there. I think they are a pretty good bunch. So I bought the gun the other day right when they got a bunch in stock. I went and saw Patti at the permit office today and then back to Johnsons to pick up my new bang bang.

So I do the NICS check and all is good. I show one gentleman the sights on the gun....puzzled he looks at them....tries different lighting...and says "hmmm..." THe rear sights on this gun are terrible. I did compare it to a couple others they got in as well as the fondeled counter gun....all about the same. The left dot is almost brown. It looks like it has oil or dirt in it. The right dot is bright white but is missing a chunk of paint. WTF. This is a brand new gun and I let them know I wasn't happy. They said I wasn't the first to notice and that they had contacted SA about the issue with no help. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I sent an email to Springfield sales as soon as I got home and look forward to a response. Yes, I knew about this before the purchase so some will say "too bad, should have moved on...". While I like to support my locals, maybe I should have chanced a Gunbroker deal.

In the meantime, what kind of paint could I use after cleaning these up? Is there anything glow in the dark? Model paint was suggested by Johnsons and will probably be the route I take. Again...I am not pleased about having to fix a new gun. Thanks for hearing me out and any help.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
Siteglow.com
I've used this with fair luck on guns that the sights are not interchangeable. If you can change them out to night sights, that would be preferable.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I pretty much hate dots on sights so when I get one with dots first thing I do is black them out! Even with dots you must still align sights ( equal height equal light) which often does NOT equate with lining dots up- I have seen many shooters align dots instead of sights and get very high or low groups on target. I can see a very limited application for night sights but painted dots suck.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Just picked up an XDs in .45 yesterday - SAME DEAL, the left dot is EXACTLY as you described it. I usually use a White Out pen to touch up the sights on my Beretta, but I'm going to call Springfield and ask them about it as well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a response from SA today via email. I can contact customer service and have a shipping label sent out and return the firearm for inspection or what they recommend is to purchase a bottle of Testors model paint in bright white and touch them up with a toothpic. I am undecided if I will go throught the trouble of sending it back but maybe they would make good on it with a free mag or something. I hate to send a new gun back to them for something as little as this but it just isn't right.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Doubt they will give you a free mag. Quick fix is the testors. Sooner or later you will most likely upgrade.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I got a response from SA today via email. I can contact customer service and have a shipping label sent out and return the firearm for inspection or what they recommend is to purchase a bottle of Testors model paint in bright white and touch them up with a toothpic. I am undecided if I will go throught the trouble of sending it back but maybe they would make good on it with a free mag or something. I hate to send a new gun back to them for something as little as this but it just isn't right.
Honestly, I'd use the model paint, or do what I did on my Beretta 92FS when the sights started getting tired- used a White Out/Liquid Paper pen. Worked great, the point gets right into the dot. Going to do that with mine. A free mag would be nice, but I doubt that'll happen.
BTW, I sent an email to them also, so far no reply...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wishful thinking is all. I will end up doing a paint job on them myself. Again it just stinks to do this to a new gun. Rant over. Thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have to believe if you don't do the paint, that is what they are going to do. Cost of paint versus time without the gun points me to the paint. As an xds owner, I will pay attention to another SA before I buy.

keep us updated please.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
So I got an email response Friday to call customer service. Called them, the guy said to get a qtip and clean out the sights with acetone since its just paint, then use the model paint with a toothpick. Or send it back. Model paint it is.
BTW - I love this gun, the more I shoot it, the better my groups get. How 'bout that! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts