New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as: (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; (vii) Steyr AUG; (viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the StreetSweeper and Striker 12
Only the Colt AR-15 named in the ban is banned - an Armalite M15 is not a Colt AR-15 as far as the law is concerned, neither is a DPMS Panther. Just as a WASR is not considered a Poly Technologies AK
I've often wondered this myself given the part in bold

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Well it was based on the federal AWB but NY made changes to it so it was never exactly the same. Plus it never expires.

This is the tricky part:
d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as: (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; (vii) Steyr AUG; (viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the StreetSweeper and Striker 12
It specifically lists models and then goes on to say to specify "or copies" of these weapons. I think most would agree that pretty much any AR is a copy of the Colt. That's like saying a Kimber isn't a 1911 because it isn't a Colt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.