New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I'm looking to get into hunting after moving back to Syracuse. I've got a few buddies that have been hunting since they were kids. I'll be joining them this year and am currently taking my hunter education course. I've searched around the forums and gathered tons of information but I'm still wondering what I should purchase for my first gun. I plan on doing a little bit of everything, deer, turkey, whatever else my friends get into. I've shot a bunch before, so I'm not brand new to shooting. I'm 25, with a pretty small frame, 5'7" 135 lbs. I've been looking at the Remington 870 Express combo or the Mossberg 500, both in 12 gauge. I went to Gander Mountain this weekend and held both and am leaning towards the 870. The combo would be nice, as it includes an extra barrel. Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey all! I'm looking to get into hunting after moving back to Syracuse. I've got a few buddies that have been hunting since they were kids. I'll be joining them this year and am currently taking my hunter education course. I've searched around the forums and gathered tons of information but I'm still wondering what I should purchase for my first gun. I plan on doing a little bit of everything, deer, turkey, whatever else my friends get into. I've shot a bunch before, so I'm not brand new to shooting. I'm 25, with a pretty small frame, 5'7" 135 lbs. I've been looking at the Remington 870 Express combo or the Mossberg 500, both in 12 gauge. I went to Gander Mountain this weekend and held both and am leaning towards the 870. The combo would be nice, as it includes an extra barrel. Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mossberg 535 Triple Play. There is no better ratio of gun for your money. I have a more detailed post here:

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/hu...rested-hunting-how-do-i-start.html#post435684

I've put 2000 + shots through that gun. The most I've done is tighten the stock to receiver bolt and basic cleaning. There is something to be said for combat shotguns.

Sorry, did my mention that the Mossy 500 is a combat shotgun bother King Cuomo?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually looked at that gun and really liked it. The only thing that threw me off was that it seemed that the pump was a little wobbly, don't know if that's a common issue or just an issue with the one at Gander Mountain.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I like the old Ithaca model 37 pumps, I have a 16 gauge and a 12 gauge. If I see a 20 gauge in decent shape at the gun shows I'm going to pick it up. The local cabelas has a old 12 gauge 37 in decent shape for $249 that I might buy if they still have it next Wed. I've shot a lot of game with the ones I have. Gun Broker & the other auction sites have nice used guns some times at a decent price.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum. Second, I believe you are starting out correctly chosing that first gun. The 870 combo or Mossberg 500/ Either gun will serve you great. I own an 870 combo as well. I own several shotguns and have $1000s invested in them but find myself constantly going back to that old 870. You will not go wrong here, that is the most versatile weapon I own. Deer, Bird, Waterfowl, HD, SHTF you name it it works and works great. It is inexpensive and ammo is available so far. Best of luck in your quest.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree that the 870 is a great choice, but spending the extra money to get the next level above the Express is worth it.
Would the next level above express be the wingmaster? I may just pull the trigger (pun intended) on the 870 express combo due to it's low cost. It'd allow me to get a little experience hunting with a 12 without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
welcome to the forum. remy 870 and mossy 500 are great sg's. i personally prefer the mossberg due to the slide release and safety locations. the newer remy 870 express is a budget model, but easily upgraded with some better parts (read this link The difference between a Remington 870 Express vs Remington 870 Police | Boom Boom Tactical on the Web ) however, you could get the mossy 500 and be gtg from the start. mossy makes combo guns too.http://mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-500-combo/52272

·
Registered
983 Posts
At your size, I wouldn't hate a 20ga. Don't let anybody tell you it's not enough gun. I've seen dozens of deer taken with them and I know people who've taken plenty turkey and geese with them too.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I am 5'10" 130 lbs and I have no problems with my 870 or 500. I can go shoot 4 rounds of trap or take out 15 birds on the water no problem. I did both one day and I was a little sore lol but then again if you see some of my other posts my favorite pistols are my DE 50, maybe there is something wrong with me haha

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Welcome to the boards!

All these choices are good ones. I have the Ithaca model 37 pump in 12, 16 and 20, the 20 was my deer gun when I was 12 and stll is. I went to the rifled barrel about 20 years ago. I have the Mossberb 500, 535 and had an 870. Pick any one of these guns and you will be happy. If you get the mossberg combo with a turkey and longer bird barrel you can buy direct from Mossberg a rifled deer barrel for about $200 3 guns in one.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the Express vs. higher levels of the 870. The only difference is the finish.

My express is 10-15 years old and I hate the finish. I will have it Cerakoted at some point. However, my friend and I bought him an 870 Express a week ago and the finish is beautiful. A lot better than they used to be on the Express. Buy it, shoot it, and if you have a problem with the finish, you can get it Cerakoted for less than $100 and that is going to be a better finish than any factory gun comes with.

The functionality of the gun won't be affected by the finish in 5 lifetimes. It is purely an aesthetic thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome replies everyone, I really appreciate all the information.

After a lot of consideration I'm feeling really good about the Remington 870. It seems like a perfect gun to start with, though I must say that the Ithaca 37 is beautiful! I might have the opportunity to shoot an 870 12 gauge this weekend. If I'm not comfortable with it I think I'm going to go with the 20 gauge.

I can't wait to get out and practice and hopefully put some meat on the table this season!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Awesome replies everyone, I really appreciate all the information.

After a lot of consideration I'm feeling really good about the Remington 870. It seems like a perfect gun to start with, though I must say that the Ithaca 37 is beautiful! I might have the opportunity to shoot an 870 12 gauge this weekend. If I'm not comfortable with it I think I'm going to go with the 20 gauge.

I can't wait to get out and practice and hopefully put some meat on the table this season!
Enjoy it and good luck!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
The only difference is the finish.
Simply not true. I'd suggest you go search on shotgunworld for this-- there are a lot of threads there about all of the extra polishing needed to get Express models to function as designed-- especially in the chambers, where the Express has a propensity to hang up on steel based shells due to poor chamber polishing.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Simply not true. I'd suggest you go search on shotgunworld for this-- there are a lot of threads there about all of the extra polishing needed to get Express models to function as designed-- especially in the chambers, where the Express has a propensity to hang up on steel based shells due to poor chamber polishing.
I have. I remember reading a few reports on this but the majority opinion that it was the very first Express models that came out. Not what the OP would be purchasing here. The most common feedback I can find it what I posted in this thread; that current (and most old) Express models are just as functional as the Wingmaster or Police models, and the finish is the only difference.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.