New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im new to the ar platform, and am just getting into looking for my first rifle..im looking for something econimical but trustworthy. I will use it from targets to coyote hunting..need some suggestions..i know i can spend a ton of money that i dont have but also dont want something thats not reliable..any suggestions while i shop would be greatly appreciated..en im done saving ill be looking to spend betweem 7-850...what do you guys think...thanks in advance

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I bought a NY compliant RRA in 5.56 new for about $800 (I think, lol). I know some guys here will flame RRA, but so far its been a great gun. Very accurate and reliable. I ran it hard on a class last year with no problems other than an intentionally induced FTF that resulted in a severe jam due to lack of proper lubrication on my part. No problems since. There's lot's of other things you can do in the $7-850 range, that is certainly respectable. At that price point, I'd concentrate on getting a good gun with iron sights and worry about optics later on.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Wow, I just looked on RRA website and I think prices have gone up (I bought through an FFL who sold it to me at his cost, so that might have had something to do with it). I got the A4 version shown here Rock River Arms: Mid-Length A2 / A4. Great gun. Current price is a little higher than your budget. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
i would recommend palmetto state armory, you can build a complete rifle for about 590.00. ive built 4 now and my friends have had quite a few with NO issues at all.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
i would recommend palmetto state armory, you can build a complete rifle for about 590.00. ive built 4 now and my friends have had quite a few with NO issues at all.
$590 for the kit , less receiver maybe, and no sights. Their kit prices went up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My honest opinion? Wait just a little while longer, save up $200 more, and get yourself a nice NY-compliant Colt, BCM, Noveske, or LMT.

Yes, brands like these are a bit more expensive, and you probably don't care about milspec standards. But the level of quality means you will have less or no issues later on, as long as you do basic maintenance once a month or so. The trouble with DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, CMMG, and other "budget rifle" manufacturers is that they cut corners in order to keep costs down and that leads to problems that develop in the gun over time. Parts made by those manufacturers may not be made to standards, meaning they may not "play" well with other parts in the rifle and cause wear and malfunctions that could be avoided using parts from a more reputable manufacturer. Now, this doesn't happen to ALL rifles made by these companies. Some of these AR 15's run just fine and never have problems. But why take the chance? If something breaks, you'll end up spending the money you could have used to get an AR with better fit and finish anyway, possibly more.

There's a valuable lesson I learned over the years from sending my firearms out for repairs: "Buy once, cry once."

Here's a quick reference list of features you should look for in any AR 15:

M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension (USGI)
USGI 1/7 Twist Rates
USGI 5.56x45 NATO Chamber
Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
HPT (High Pressure Test) Barrels
MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) Barrel

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I would agree,they have a multitude of uppers in many price ranges to get what you can afford/want!And most are in stock ready to ship,if not they state so in there description.Try to order one from other places and you go on a list,meaning take a number and you will get it when we get to it!

·
Registered
982 Posts
If you go with Palmetto, there are a couple of things to expect.

#1: When I bought my upper, the 15 business days to ship really was 30 business days.

#2: If you get a troy muzzle brake and the brake doesn't come to them pre-drilled from the factory, they will NOT pin and weld it no matter how many times "customer service" tells you it will be done.

#3: If you complain about 'service' on Barfcom, they WILL edit your post until it is completely different than what you wrote and then lock the thread.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Palmetto doesn't do compliant stuff, it's on you. They were very up front about that with me.

All their stuff is milspec as well; Don't lump them in with DPMS and crew.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
You can get a brand new Stag Model 2 for around $795......Great rifle.....!!

Stag Arms

·
Registered
450 Posts
I just bought a S&W MP 15 Sport for 660.09 shipped with a case and some targets, from budsgunshop. The only things it doesnt have is forward assit and a dust cover.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Your best bet? (IMHO) research, research, and research. Then build your own with YOUR parts that you feel confident with, It's got its ups and downs, but cheaper and it gives you the opportunity to see every single part go in and what that part does, If at any point you run across something you're not sure of...you have alot of extremley inteligent (tifosi) guy's here that can answer ANY question about this platform and it's many calibers of ammunition (meke)

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
What are your guys' thoughts on a stag model 2...got a friend at work that highly recommended it as well.
That's what I would buy if I were in your position. A flat top stag with flip-up sights and add optics later.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
While I agree with default in principle, I think Stag is a good choice to get your feet wet within your budget. I've got a Stag upper receiver waiting on my doorstep to match a lower I bought from firefly a few weeks ago. Will post later if there are any issues but don't expect any. Problem with picking your own parts is it adds up very quickly. I'm in process of 2nd build and both came in at 2-2.5x your budget, but I did get the parts I wanted. Great knowledge base here if you decide to build your own, but I think you'll be happy with the Stag. Good luck.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Is that Stag a NY compliant gun,not sure on the law but if its not do you have to make it compliant before it leaves the FFL?

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
I just (two days ago) picked up a Windham Weaponry (Formally Bushmaster) AR-15 in 5.56 with a pinned stock and optic ready for $858.60 including tax. ($795 plus 63.80 tax)

PLUS Dave threw in 4 boxes of ammo because I filled out the 4470 without screwing up the form LOL

Go to Beikirch's over in East Rochester. Tell them your budget and they will find you a nice rifle.

My Buddy just went to Gander Mountain and picked up a Panther Arms AR in 308 for $1199 (literally, just about an hour ago)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts