New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just built a ruger mini 14 from accuracy systems and want to zero in an eotech and test out a magnifier. Any recommendations for a place near Nassau that has braces and 100 yards? This is also the first zero I’ll be doing myself so patience is good too.
Gunsmith helped me zero the vortex on my spr.
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I have learned anything, it's that zeroing close when you don't know your mechanical zero saves a TON of headaches. Everything from a cheapo Vortex Pic bolted on and fired to custom inclined and hand lapped Talley ring/bases is a crapshoot. I have not had good luck with laser boresighting (it's generally either totally unecessary or doesn't seem to save even a fraction of its cost in sighting ammo). A lot of paper, rounds and years later, I now swallow my pride and shoot pistols, pistols with optics, pistols with scopes, rifles with small optics rifles with iron sights and rifles with giant optics at 25 yard paper. At that point one of three things happens: 1) a carbine just needs a few minutes from a calculator to get a 100 yard zero (i.e. M193 will print 2-3 MOA and M855 will do 4 MOA, so guesstimating the correction leaves you within the margin of error) or 2) a precision rifle, in which case there WILL be vertical movement of groups as I adjust powder charges 3) most pistols want a 25y zero.

If you're using M193 from a Mini-14, you may not notice any difference between shooting at 100 and zeroing at 25 and then correcting from data. This may be helpful: M193 ballistics.

I hope that helps and maybe saves you some effort. Also, if you DO find a 100 yard range, let me know as I may wind up in Brooklyn soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts