New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pre-Ban Bushmaster V-Match Freefloated 20" H-BAR .223/5.56 that I purchased in 1993 before the ban. It has never been fired and has been a "safe queen" for close to twenty years. I'm thinking of selling it. Would appreciate any opinions of it's current value Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Lowers worth +/- $800/900 by itself
upper I'm not familiar with but I'd guess $500 by itself to the right buyer
rifle complete worth about 1100-1200 here.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Looking for opinions on value, or trying to sell it by attempting to not break the rules here?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
" Looking for opinions on value, or trying to sell it by attempting to not break the rules here? "​

Looking for opinions on the value. I bought it in 1993 when I lived in upstate NY. I now reside in Oklahoma where the whole pre-ban thing means nothing. I will be visiting NY soon and was considering selling it while there. Not trying to break any rules here.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Thank you Dieter, I appreciate it.
no problem, but also be mindful if you come here on a trip, you cant just sell it to a private citizen in a FTF transaction. It would need to be sold to a dealer. Being it would have to be sold to a dealer (or through a dealer for a fee), you can expect to get 40-60% of the value I stated, at BEST. Expect incredible low balls.

My best advice, list it here online on the forum for sale...then ship it to NY to a FFL.

Its safer, no flying or driving with it, you have the piece of mind its going through a dealer/background check, and you will get the most $$$ for it.

Just my 02 cents....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
because he's not a NYS resident, correct? (first cup of coffee)
Correct, only interstate sales are acceptable in NY. Buying a long gun from any other state requires (as stated above) an FFL transaction.

What I'm not sure on (assuming someone will chime in) is, what if a NY resident travels out of state and purchases the gun, how can they bring it back to NY w/out issue

·
Registered
241 Posts
who knows any different if he bring it to ny and does a face to face its a done deal .......whats wrong with that

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
, what if a NY resident travels out of state and purchases the gun, how can they bring it back to NY w/out issue
They can buy from a dealer and drive it home or they have to have a private seller mail it to a NY FFL for pickup.

·
Registered
241 Posts
it's a felony for a long gun?......... i thought it was just for a hand gun

·
Registered
202 Posts
http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/28425-out-state-long-gun-purchases.html

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/rifles/30186-out-state-purchase.html

Here's my understanding of the law pertaining to buying long guns out-of-state:

If you want to buy a long gun from a private seller in a non-contiguous state, it has to ship from a FFL in the seller's state to a FFL in your state.

You can buy a long gun directly from a FFL dealer in any state and transport back to your home state without shipping through FFLs.

You can buy a long gun from a private seller in a contiguous state, and transport to your home state without using FFLs.

As always, it's up to the buyer to ensure the firearm they're purchasing is legal to own in their home state.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no problem, but also be mindful if you come here on a trip, you cant just sell it to a private citizen in a FTF transaction. It would need to be sold to a dealer. Being it would have to be sold to a dealer (or through a dealer for a fee), you can expect to get 40-60% of the value I stated, at BEST. Expect incredible low balls.

My best advice, list it here online on the forum for sale...then ship it to NY to a FFL.

Its safer, no flying or driving with it, you have the piece of mind its going through a dealer/background check, and you will get the most $$$ for it.

Just my 02 cents....
Thanks again. I may just list it on Gunbroker. I was not aware that I couldn't do the FTF deal so I will not be bringing it when I visit. I miss upstate NY but I sure don't miss all the liberal gun control and other b.s. Oklahoma is definitely pro-gun country but it doesn't have anything close to the Adirondack Mtns and our summers here are 100+ degrees for months!!! If Oklahoma & NY switched gun laws I'd move back home in a heartbeat!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The law that say you can't do FTF isn't NYS, it's federal government.
Not true unless I am not understanding you correctly. People sell face to face at gun shows and garage sales here in Oklahoma all the time. Were you referring to the fact that I'm not a citizen of NYS or a connecting state?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Not true unless I am not understanding you correctly. People sell face to face at gun shows and garage sales here in Oklahoma all the time. Were you referring to the fact that I'm not a citizen of NYS or a connecting state?
That's the kicker.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts