New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am a new member/home owner in the Bronx. I am in holding pattern awaiting my shotgun and premise permits. Due to the long wait I am researching/studying all my future buying options, and NYC has me so confused it is difficult to know what to do. On the shotgun front I am going for a Remington 870 express (4shot mag). But really confused with everything else. Locall FFL shop a Henry lever action Big Boy X in .357 is illegal due to 7 round magazine. Spoke to Tracy at Henry and she said not true, they make a tube insert that is perfectly legal for NYC and they sell all the time. Gun shop says it isn't right. I wanted to get a Glock, but can't figure out if any are legal with a 10 shot mag? Back up idea was to go S&W 686Plus, and only move to a semi after we retire and go south where life is a whole lot different. Just got back from Florida (went to a local range with a resident who is retired LEO/Swat, and the young guy behind the counter saw the grin on my face and asked "you are from NY, aren't you?" we see that smile all the time from NY'er. After countless hours online could you help clear up my confusion. Also any ideas about range practice? Rodman's not open to the public, and closest range not open evenings. Is laser training the only option?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey welcome to the forum. Should have bought a house further north, maybe Westchester, would not have to deal with some of the BS. I've lived in the boroughs for a while and had the Rifle/Shotgun permit, needless to say the people working there are clueless on what is ok and what isnt. Regarding the plug, yes the FFL is correct, that is not legal. I had a Marlin 335 that I had to return because it had a 6 shot tubular magazine. They would not let me register it. I think inorder to be legal and them willing to register you would have to take in to a gunsmith and have them permanently block the tube to only accept 5 rounds and give you some sort of letter stating that the work is done. What I realized is that when you bring your registration paperwork to the licensing office all they do is google the gun and if it says it over 5 rounds they will reject it. As far as pistols are concerned, the 5 round limit does not apply, its 10 like in the rest of the state. So your good to go on that Glock. Anyway, my experience is from over 10 years ago, not sure if things changed. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
the FFL will toss the illegal mags. Buy 10 round mags online before Biden makes it illegal to do anything online. Just tell the FFL you don’t need the mags when you get it.

you can get 10 round mags anywhere.

not sure about the Remington. Maybe get another model??

as far as the ranges go, look in Westchester.
blueline in Elmsford
Pioneer in mt vernon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts