New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Hope everyone's having the best holiday season one can given the circumstances. I know it's a tough time for a lot of us. Some of us may have lost friends, family, loved ones. Some of us might've even joined the gun ownership club for the first time because of all this craziness- like me.
I'm a 36 yr old real estate professional living in Westchester County. My family owns/ operates properties here in Westchester and the Bronx. I've got a wife (36) and two kids, boy (10) and a girl (6). It's been a tough/ scary year, for sure with shutdowns, quarantines, remote schooling and everything.
I started my foray into gun ownership with a Smith & Wesson M&P15 in .223/ 5.56 in June 2020. Now, I must admit- I was never anti-gun. But something about firearms scared the hell out of me. The world of guns was totally foreign to me and I didn't understand.
When I bought my rifle, I couldn't sit straight for 3 days. I respected the gun as much as I feared it. I was very new to ownership and it just gave me anxiety- until I took it to the range for the first time. Nowadays, I try to explain to as many people I can that the most paramount factors to preventing accidental firearm accidents is educating oneself and family to firearm safety. My 10 year old understands the basics, but I never let him handle the firearm alone. I keep it double locked with a trigger lock and in a safe.
After the AR15, I learned very quickly that once you get one, you need another. So, I picked up the home defense piece- the legendary Mossberg 500 12 ga with the whole Flex Conversion kit.
I had been to the range a few times, when I saw the SWAT dudes training with their long range guns. The new bug hit me and so I picked up a Tikka T3X Tac A1 in .308 Win/ 7.62.
I prepared my pistol permit application and am waiting for an interview date in December 2021- FML. As part of the application process goes, I was able to find a Sig Sauer M17 and it's being held at my FFL until 12/2021. But, such is life. I understand that there is a huge influx of new gun owners and patience is and always has been an important virtue, right?
All in all- I'm glad I joined the world of gun ownership. I'm glad to have found this sense of peace and security knowing that I don't fear the firearm anymore and am also glad to have found this site.
Cheers, all. Happy New Year.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Albanian Guy. Hope you get your permit soon so you can pick up your Sig M17!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey there. It's been a tough year, but we have a new one, new beginning, and this is a great place to start. See you around!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I had been calling the licensing unit in Westchester County nearly every day and they bumped me up to June 2. So my interview is right around the corner. I think I have everything in order. Does anyone have any experience in Westchester? What should I prepare for? How do I know if I've got everything I need?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update- Money Order cashed on/ about 8/6/2021 (8+ weeks since interview).
It has since been 2+ weeks since cashing.
Still no letter.
When I call the office for status, they tell me not to call and it will take 6 months.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:
Finally got my license.
I realize this could have been a much simpler and shorter process if I had done everything a little more expeditiously.
i did the safety course in 6/2020
I didn’t call for an appointment until July.
My appointment is as initially scheduled for 12/21 but I was able to get it on 6/2021
MO cashed 8/6/2021
Letter in the mail 9/1/2021 (dated 8/27/2021)
I was able to make an appointment same day. Got the permit 9/1/2021
Went to blue line to pick up the pistol.
NICS check delayed. Hurricane Ida next day, store closed.
finally picked up the pistol Saturday. 9/4/2021

1 - 9 of 9 Posts