Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy!

So, I've had my CCW for about 2 years now, and just finished putting together my first rifle (an AR15). I got to shoot a 22 a few times as a kid, and a 12 gauge exactly once (for my hunter safety class). I'd say I have pretty minimal contact and experience with firearms, kinda self-educating and learning as I go.

I was a member at RRC, but let my membership lapse, partially because every time I went after joining, the place was closed for repairs. I also wasn't so keen on some of their rules. I'm not shooting for competition, I'm shooting for training and familiarity. So, now I'm really looking for a place that's not too expensive and I can go and shoot both my pistol and my AR (which still has not had a single round down the barrel). Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I'm hoping to keep educating myself here.

-- Rich

·
Registered
280 Posts
Welcome!

What do you consider "not too expensive?" I think Brockport Conservation Club is $100 a year. I just re-upped at Genesee Conservation League for $167 but that includes the indoor range.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$100 is reasonable. That's about what I paid for RRC. I considered the Genesee Conservation League, but it's like $126 + $149 initiation fee + $12 certification fee. That's almost $300 for your first year. I'll try looking into the Brockport Conservation Club.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Don't know where in Roc you are, but you also have Brooks in Henrietta / Rush area, can't think of the name but there's a small one in Canandaigua, and you also have Ontario Rod & Gun club -- I checked it out a lil while ago, they had 50, 100 and 200 bench seats (1 each) and they were finishing up a massive u-shaped mound for the pistol area, as well as the tactical/moving area for rifles & pistols.

I don't know what brooks or canandaigua is, but Ontario is like 65 for 1 or 75 for family per year, and that's it

Find the user " beararms " on here for Ontario for more info - his name is Ken, he's the VP over there. You can meet up w/ him as a guest to check the place out and shoot for a bit to get an idea of the place

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ontario Rod & Gun would be closer to me, and would only be a short jaunt away from work. I'll have to look into that more. I found their website, but it was a bit sparse and hard to find more info on them. I'll try to find "beararms".

·
Registered
280 Posts
IIRR Brooks is $200 a year(?) I'm actually closer to Brooks but don't shoot shotgun and IMHO GCL has better handgun and rifle ranges. I guess I have a problem supporting all the shotgun ranges I won't use.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm a member out at Ontario Rod Gun. First rounds went through my AR. Nice place, cheap, they seem to have a good community that's very open to new membership.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I like Rochester Brooks. 200 a year plus 50 initiation for first year. The rifle range is nice. 50/100/200 pistol bay are ok but need some work on structures. I don't shoot shotgun sports much but I have been a couple times and will probably doo more since it is there. My bigest complaint....the pavillion structure that is so nice on the rifle range is there is an sprinkling of bright sun...SUCKS when some of the guys with heavy muzzle breaks get in there. Lat time I was there my daughter wouldnt go in there because of the noise and we werein plugs and muffs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.