New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also - the storage law is a big one no one is talking about. All guns (even while hunting) have to be locked in a locking gun case in the car and NOT visible from the outside. That leaves a lot of room for interpretation by law enforcement. Also they can't even be in your car in areas that are restricted. What happens when stopping for gas / coffee to and from hunting or the range? Automatic felony for having a firearm in a restricted place?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'd like NYRPA to explain to me, how this is a huge Win.
Relying upon Justice Scalia's unwise choice of words in District of Columbia v. Heller, the bill defines nearly every public area except for a road or sidewalk a "sensitive area" where a permit holder is forbidden to carry concealed. All schools, hospitals, parks, zoos, libraries, churches, shelters, subways, trains, buses, airports, aircraft, airports, terminals, stations, stadiums, places of entertainment, theaters, museums, concerts, banquet halls, "special events" (such as parades), federal, state, county, and municipal property and places (including restaurants) that serve alcohol are forbidden. Times Square is specifically named as a forbidden zone.

·
Registered
606 Posts
they say “all the recent shootings occurred with legally purchased firearms”, yes, but omitted an important part, ILLEGALLY modified and ILLEGAL 30 round magazine. Yeah, and every drunk driving accident occurred with a legally purchased automobile, and legally purchased alcohol, every cancer death happened from cancer, hey Governor, what about a database to track alcohol purchases ? And prevent a family from getting run down ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
They became illegal once the shooter shot innocent people. I wouldn't ever support mag limits, any competent rifle shooter that trains can swap mags quicker than the targets can flee. Besides there are still a billion normal capacity mags in circulation and it would take 100-years for their springs to fail. Ban Springs!

Wondering if a soft case with a lock on it is a gun case? I think not, you'll need a steel case bolted to the car and a special lock that law enforcement will have the master key for.

I know that these bills will be struck down but "in the spirit of compromise" some aspects will remain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Relying upon Justice Scalia's unwise choice of words in District of Columbia v. Heller, the bill defines nearly every public area except for a road or sidewalk a "sensitive area" where a permit holder is forbidden to carry concealed. All schools, hospitals, parks, zoos, libraries, churches, shelters, subways, trains, buses, airports, aircraft, airports, terminals, stations, stadiums, places of entertainment, theaters, museums, concerts, banquet halls, "special events" (such as parades), federal, state, county, and municipal property and places (including restaurants) that serve alcohol are forbidden. Times Square is specifically named as a forbidden zone.
[/QUOTE

This is far worse than it even appears. The devil is in the details and in this case the fine print. To wit:
(n) any place, conveyance, or vehicle used for public transportation or public transit, subway cars, train cars, buses”
In addition to trains planes and cars, the definition of sensitive places includes any place… used for public transportation. That includes all roads and highways that said buses travel on. Which cuts out every single main thoroughfare in the state. And if you include taxis and Ubers, it includes every single road in the entire state. There is NO PLACE, outside your personal property that you can take your legally owned firearm. And if you live in an apartment building you basically can’t take it out of your apartment.
This is a total and complete abrogation of the entire 2nd amendment. I believe Hochul has overreached and will get slapped down. If not, I personally can take solace in the fact that I am moving to Florida.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Also - the storage law is a big one no one is talking about. All guns (even while hunting) have to be locked in a locking gun case in the car and NOT visible from the outside. That leaves a lot of room for interpretation by law enforcement. Also they can't even be in your car in areas that are restricted. What happens when stopping for gas / coffee to and from hunting or the range? Automatic felony for having a firearm in a restricted place?
The wording I saw said the new law applied to leaving a firearm in a vehicle, it said lockbox. Some of the lockboxes I’ve seen are a 3 minute obstacle. Not being in your car in a restricted zone applies to the concealed carry I thought. I can’t imagine that you couldn’t stop for gas with a secured rifle (lock box have it) and hit the head. For my money I’d cable the box to a seat frame or spare tire so it’s not a smash, grab and go.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
NYSRPA v Bruen is a huge win. Problem is that Hochul went too far with her kneejerk reaction to the ruling and created a set of new laws that will not withstand any Constitutional challenges while the ink on the NYSRPA decision was still wet.

Any court rulings to challenges to NY's gun laws must now be made through the lens of of the NYSRPA decision.

So far states like California and Maryland simply lifted their "proper cause" requirements for CCW permits because they know they'll lose any legal challenges if they enact laws like Hochul just did.

Reactions: Don_P

·
Registered
31 Posts
.......Any court rulings to challenges to NY's gun laws must now be made through the lens of of the NYSRPA decision..........
Very, very correct. The supreme court has provided constitutional guidance for the lower courts so they don't make the same decision mistakes again. Now, let's see how they do......

·
Registered
29 Posts
The wording I saw said the new law applied to leaving a firearm in a vehicle, it said lockbox. Some of the lockboxes I’ve seen are a 3 minute obstacle. Not being in your car in a restricted zone applies to the concealed carry I thought. I can’t imagine that you couldn’t stop for gas with a secured rifle (lock box have it) and hit the head. For my money I’d cable the box to a seat frame or spare tire so it’s not a smash, grab and go.
I really hope thats the case. Hopefully we can get some clear answers as to what the requirements will be. I really don't want to be driving somewhere not knowing if something I am doing is legal or illegal.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The Safe storage PL is found here: Legislation
As I’ve said in another post securing a pistol is not a difficult issue, however, long rifles may be in the neighborhood or up to 52”. There are no standards or specifics given to the impact, Fire or tamper resistance. It’s leaves me puzzled how to find such an item. Fortunately, I don’t leave rifles unattended out in a vehicle or out of my sight and this isn’t about transporting.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The decision is a theoretical 'victory' and a practical total defeat unless the new law is voided almost in toto. Carry is made useless and storage will be a horror show until defined. Is a locked glove compartment a lock box? Going to a range with a long arm - need a locked attached case in your vehicle. That's hard for many vehicles.

Unless this is undone, for many in New York State we would better off without it. So in the counties you will be able to apply for a useless permit. Given the slow nature of the courts - unless there is an emergency route to Scotus - it will take years to undo, if it can be done. I'm of the opinion that Scotus eventually would allow the killer opt in clause as they would be in for property rights to support the wedding cake nuts.

I fail to see for example how sensitive places are defined except to inhibit carry. Why is a library sensitive?

The NYSPRA can go back to publishing stupid Trump cartoons and next time think this out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is a locked glove compartment a lock box? Going to a range with a long arm - need a locked attached case in your vehicle. That's hard for many vehicles.
Per the statute, a locked glove compartment is not a lock box.

Going to the range will not be a problem unless you're going to stop off at the supermarket on the way home. The way I read it, it only refers to leaving it in the vehicle when you're not in there with it:

"No person shall store or otherwise leave a rifle, shotgun, or
firearm out of his or her immediate possession or control inside a
vehicle
without first removing the ammunition from and securely locking
such rifle, shotgun, or firearm in an appropriate safe storage
depository out of sight from outside of the vehicle."

I'm not defending this law in any way -- it's pretty bleak. I'm just trying to find a few rays of light.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I really don't want to be driving somewhere not knowing if something I am doing is legal or illegal.
[/QUOTE]
The word WHERE in your question requires a modifier and it creates an answer to the question.
Just add the two letters N and O to the word 'where' and you have the answer.
NOWHERE. Yes, nowhere unless there is some form of signage inviting you and your handgun onto the property.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wonder if the great strategic planners of the NYSPRA or NRA (who supposedly helped with the case) thought out what would happen if the case was won? In most war, legal, business, etc. situations you do this. I recall when reciprocity across states was a possibility, Cuomo said he would abolish carry permits totally in the state.

Now, some of the organizations claim this is a great victory because:
1. Things will be better in some other states, like Maryland or Mass. (like I care)
2. This sets the stage for more wonderful cases in the future on other gun issues, like the 4 returned cases (so we are sacrifices for this). Heller was supposed to do that and didn't for the most part on AWBs.
3. They admit that NYS is screwed for a long time. Scotus could not prevent the NYS law with more strictures on sensitive places and private property because that's not the way the court works (Bullcrap).

NYS says that Buren allows all kinds of other restrictions. Great job to get rid of the reasons clause for some counties. NO reasons, Yeah! No carry - oops!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts