New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see they are allowing kids between the age of 14-15 to take an either sex deer with a firearm in October.Now i think its great for the kids but really think this is a bad decision!People will be abusing this law to shoot the big buck before hunting season guaranteed.In PA they have a youth deer hunt but its doe only,which is the only way to do it to be fair IMO.Why allow this and not allow crossbows during archery season "GEEZE",whoever thinks of these laws are definitely stupid people!!!

Youth Hunters Will Get Their Own Firearms Season - WETM 18 Online

Elmira, N.Y. - Young Hunters in the Southern Tier will get their own firearms season this year.
This is part of the five-year deer management plan from the Department of Environmental Conservation.
the 3-day youth hunt will be held Columbus Day weekend in October.
Hunters ages 14 and 15 will be able to kill one deer of either sex.
Department of Environmental Conservation officials say they anticipate more then 16 thousand youth hunting that weekend.
The regular hunting season runs for 23 days beginning November 17th.

·
Registered
734 Posts
This is still up in the air. Theres another bill sitting on the governors desk that could overturn the one that went through. You can thank NYBowhunters Inc for it.

I would like to see the youth season go through, personally.

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
I'm more concerned with the original plan of allowing bows to be discharged within 150' of a house. But I don't see that ll on the legislature's desk.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Has anyone seen any updates on this yet. Wondering if Cuomo has signed this bill, A10583, vetoed it or it's still on his desk. I've been searching around but haven't found any info on it.

·
1,336 Posts
I'm more concerned with the original plan of allowing bows to be discharged within 150' of a house. But I don't see that ll on the legislature's desk.
I asked the DEC about this one and was told that the state hasn't acted on it. I called and emailed my assemblyman and senator to request they bring it to vote. Never heard back.

·
1,336 Posts
Has anyone seen any updates on this yet. Wondering if Cuomo has signed this bill, A10583, vetoed it or it's still on his desk. I've been searching around but haven't found any info on it.
Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but in regards to the DEC recommending the bow discharge limit being reduced from 500 feet to 150 feet, I got this response from my Senator:

Dear Michael:

Thank you for contacting me to share your support for the Department of
Environmental Conservation's Deer Management Plan and the suggestion to
reduce the setback zone for bow hunting from 500 to 150 feet. It was a
pleasure to hear from you and I appreciate the benefit of your input on
this issue.

As your State Senator, I wholeheartedly appreciate learning of your support
for this measure. Throughout my tenure in the State Legislature, I have
always been an aggressive supporter of sportsmen's rights. Please know that
I will take your request to introduce legislation reducing the setback zone
for bow hunting to 150 feet into serious consideration. In addition, please
know that I will share your support for the DEC's suggestion with my
colleagues in both houses of the Legislature.

Once again, thank you for contacting me. Your concerns and interests are of
the utmost importance to me and I hope that you do not hesitate to contact
me if I can be of further assistance.

With best wishes.

Sincerely,

Mike Nozzolio
Senator, 54th District

Seneca Falls: 119 Fall Street, Seneca Falls, NY 13148 (315) 568-9816
FAX: (315) 568-2090
Albany: Room 413, Legislative Office Building, Albany, NY 12247 (518)
455-2366 FAX: (518) 426-6953
Toll Free # 1-888-568-9816
Michael F. Nozzolio | New York State Senate [email protected]

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone seen any updates on this bill yet ?
I read in the news last week that this bill and a crossbow bill was still sitting on the Mayors (or whoever signs) table and not getting anywhere.So for now the kid hunt will not happen this year!Still really think if they do allow this hunt they take the antlered deer out of the equation...

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another thing that would make it fair for all would be that NY just change the legal age to hunt to 12 years old!Thats the legal age in PA to hunt deer with a rifle,and thats when I started down there.16 years old is plain and simply to late IMO....

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Another thing that would make it fair for all would be that NY just change the legal age to hunt to 12 years old!Thats the legal age in PA to hunt deer with a rifle,and thats when I started down there.16 years old is plain and simply to late IMO....
You only have to be 14 years old now in NY, not 16.... unless you were referring to when you started to hunt.

Anyways,I had to wait until I was 16 to hunt in NY, but I just went down to PA when I was 12 to avoid the stupid system.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Actually it's on the DEC books so if Coumo doesn't sign the bill then it should be in effect. He would have to sign it for the kids hunt not to happen. Or it would still happen if he vetoed it. Don't quote me on that though. I just think that's how it works but would have to research it some more.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually it's on the DEC books so if Coumo doesn't sign the bill then it should be in effect. He would have to sign it for the kids hunt not to happen. Or it would still happen if he vetoed it. Don't quote me on that though. I just think that's how it works but would have to research it some more.
You might be right,but seems like some opposition came up on it and its "at the least" delayed this year...Thank You opposition!

Outdoors: No youth deer hunt this year

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20120905/SPORTS/309050084/Outdoors-No-youth-deer-hunt-year?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s&nclick_check=1

The bottom line is that there is no youth deer hunt currently scheduled.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You might be right,but seems like some opposition came up on it and its "at the least" delayed this year...Thank You opposition!

http://www.pressconnects.com/articl...=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s&nclick_check=1

That looks like it explains it. More than I could find. Thanks. Looks like they will just have to wait for opening day with the rest of us. Well at least she got lucky and drew a permit.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

http://www.pressconnects.com/articl...=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s&nclick_check=1

it would be cool if the aloud first year hunters under 18 right to draw for chance to take deer that were supposed to be taken during all regular seasons

·
Registered
753 Posts
The state is probably looking for ways to develop new hunters, which I support. Sadly i bet it has more to do with revenue. The early youth seasons are good if it helps develop new hunters - even if they take a few trophies along the way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts