New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Thanks Clancy. Very good read.. Just proves if your not A Rich politico or x cop. your nothing but A shit surf.

Reactions: Chrispy and Clancy

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't get some of the new rules...

They say (paraphrased) "... when you can't carry your firearm after leaving your vehicle, it has to be unloaded and locked away in a case out of sight in your vehicle whenever you or an adult aren't in the vehicle"... but doesn't say what to do with those unloaded mags or rounds. ??? So what's supposed to be done with them? Where are they supposed to get put? I doubt those rounds or mags can be carried in a pocket into a sensitive or prohibited areas... sounds scary to me to be discovered carrying a bunch of ammo/mags/etc in one's pocket even without a firearm...So... ???

Is the ammo supposed to be locked in a separate case somewhere else in the vehicle? I don't see anything that says that...??? Or do they want the firearm to be unloaded and with its ammo locked away in the same box, which sounds completely and totally stupid to me.

Also, what is meant by this prohibition: "Public sidewalks and other public areas that are restricted from general public access for a limited time or special event" ???

Does this mean any sidewalk anywhere is prohibited all the time? Or only sidewalks which are restricted from general access for a limited time or special event while that event is going on? I think the latter but am not sure.

Most flagrantly flying in your face constitutionally violating set of laws out there... totally wrong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't get some of the new rules...

They say (paraphrased) "... when you can't carry your firearm after leaving your vehicle, it has to be unloaded and locked away in a case out of sight in your vehicle whenever you or an adult aren't in the vehicle"... but doesn't say what to do with those unloaded mags or rounds. ??? So what's supposed to be done with them? Where are they supposed to get put? I doubt those rounds or mags can be carried in a pocket into a sensitive or prohibited areas... sounds scary to me to be discovered carrying a bunch of ammo/mags/etc in one's pocket even without a firearm...So... ???

Is the ammo supposed to be locked in a separate case somewhere else in the vehicle? I don't see anything that says that...??? Or do they want the firearm to be unloaded and with its ammo locked away in the same box, which sounds completely and totally stupid to me.

Also, what is meant by this prohibition: "Public sidewalks and other public areas that are restricted from general public access for a limited time or special event" ???

Does this mean any sidewalk anywhere is prohibited all the time? Or only sidewalks which are restricted from general access for a limited time or special event while that event is going on? I think the latter but am not sure.

Most flagrantly flying in your face constitutionally violating set of laws out there... totally wrong.
Could not agree more!!!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Call 855-LAW-GUNS Monday. All your questions will be answered by the guy there. As for leaving your handgun locked in a box, hidden and unloaded, we have had 2 people in my area do just that when they went into a convenience store, and they came out to find their car broken into and their handguns stolen. That would not have happened if they had kept their pistol on them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for that phone #, I recall seeing it here before several times. Will call and see what they say.

As far as having one's vehicle broken into while parked and firearm/s stolen, that should be everybody's real concern, particularly since no matter how discreetly someone is attempting to store their firearm and hide it, some thief or other "illegal opportunist" might notice that happening and decide to pounce. In effect, the legal gun owner just set themself up for a burglary/robbery. Totally bad news all around. Deadly dangerous.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would love for the governor to produce a video showing exactly how they suggest we do that. You're carrying concealed, you park the car in public in an on-street parking spot. You then unholster your weapon, remove the ammo, and get out of the car holding your gun? Or, maybe you get out while still concealed, and go to the back of your car and pop the trunk. You then unholster your weapon for all to see and remove the ammo? They should show us step by step exactly what their method is so that when an officer, or citizen, or Karen sees you do this, they are all totally fine with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would love for the governor to produce a video showing exactly how they suggest we do that. You're carrying concealed, you park the car in public in an on-street parking spot. You then unholster your weapon, remove the ammo, and get out of the car holding your gun? Or, maybe you get out while still concealed, and go to the back of your car and pop the trunk. You then unholster your weapon for all to see and remove the ammo? They should show us step by step exactly what their method is so that when an officer, or citizen, or Karen sees you do this, they are all totally fine with it.
Good luck with that one Clancy !!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I called NYSP on the 855-LAW-GUNS line to ask about my 2 questions above... 1) what to do with ammo after unloading it from a firearm and locking away that firearm out of sight in a vehicle, since you can't bring that firearm into the list of sensitive and restricted areas. And the other question about 2) sidewalk restriction.

1) NYSP said the new laws are silent on what to do with the ammo unloaded from a firearm locked away before entering upon sensitive and restricted areas, and nothing at all in the new laws apply to ammo unloaded from those firearms. They said the new laws are intended only to address the firearms themselves... meaning pistols, rifles, and shotguns (their words, not mine) and not the unloaded ammo from them. NYSP said you can do whatever you want with the ammo that is unloaded from the firearm.

So I asked the guy if the unloaded ammo could remain on one's person like in a pocket or on a belt while walking onto a sensitive or restricted area, and he quickly replied "Yes". I also asked whether the ammo could be placed in the same locked box as the unloaded firearm in the vehicle and he also quickly replied "Yes". (His quick responses sounded like he had been asked those questions before.)

2) Next I asked whether the new laws regarding "sidewalks" meant all sidewalks anywhere and anytime. NYSP said sidewalks are restricted only where people are assembled for specific and legally sanctioned purposes like those requiring a permit to do so. "Like people protesting in a crowd with a permit", the guy said. "Unless the sidewalk or other area has been set aside for a specific assembly purpose requiring a permit, then carrying a concealed firearm on any sidewalk is fine" (Note: None of my questions involved any NYC area). His answer about sidewalks is probably what everybody here thought, but hey, ya never know with these whacko new laws.

Guy I spoke with was very polite, answered questions promptly, with no hesitation, double-talk or confusion, and seemed fine with my call, not bothered.

As usual, it's not the NYSP who write the laws, although they're the ones charged with enforcing them... laws that the NYS Governor's Office enacted. Let's be sure to remember that come election time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I called NYSP on the 855-LAW-GUNS line to ask about my 2 questions above... 1) what to do with ammo after unloading it from a firearm and locking away that firearm out of sight in a vehicle, since you can't bring that firearm into the list of sensitive and restricted areas. And the other question about 2) sidewalk restriction.

1) NYSP said the new laws are silent on what to do with the ammo unloaded from a firearm locked away before entering upon sensitive and restricted areas, and nothing at all in the new laws apply to ammo unloaded from those firearms. They said the new laws are intended only to address the firearms themselves... meaning pistols, rifles, and shotguns (their words, not mine) and not the unloaded ammo from them. NYSP said you can do whatever you want with the ammo that is unloaded from the firearm.

So I asked the guy if the unloaded ammo could remain on one's person like in a pocket or on a belt while walking onto a sensitive or restricted area, and he quickly replied "Yes". I also asked whether the ammo could be placed in the same locked box as the unloaded firearm in the vehicle and he also quickly replied "Yes". (His quick responses sounded like he had been asked those questions before.)

2) Next I asked whether the new laws regarding "sidewalks" meant all sidewalks anywhere and anytime. NYSP said sidewalks are restricted only where people are assembled for specific and legally sanctioned purposes like those requiring a permit to do so. "Like people protesting in a crowd with a permit", the guy said. "Unless the sidewalk or other area has been set aside for a specific assembly purpose requiring a permit, then carrying a concealed firearm on any sidewalk is fine" (Note: None of my questions involved any NYC area). His answer about sidewalks is probably what everybody here thought, but hey, ya never know with these whacko new laws.

Guy I spoke with was very polite, answered questions promptly, with no hesitation, double-talk or confusion, and seemed fine with my call, not bothered.

As usual, it's not the NYSP who write the laws, although they're the ones charged with enforcing them... laws that the NYS Governor's Office enacted. Let's be sure to remember that come election time.
Thanks for makeing that call !!!

·
Registered
332 Posts

The DEC ENCON during the Big Game Hunting season demand to see the magazine of the rifle when they conduct a compliance check. The magazines are checked. If they are loaded, expect a summons.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I read through the NY Attorney General's summary of the new rules: Understanding Recent Changes to New York’s Gun Laws , but I only see a statement that the gun must be in a locked container with the ammunition removed. I don't see anything that says magazines must be empty. Can someone provide a link that says you have to empty the ammo from the mags as well? I'm not sure that's correct.

·
Registered
368 Posts
People are charged under the Environmental Conservation Law ECL. For a loaded firearm while in a motor vehicle or ATV etc. Magazines must be empty. Only exemption is a pistol.
That would be something I've never seen before. I've only ever had them check the firearm, never the magazine. Or even ask about the mag. EDIT Detachable magazine. You can certainly have a loaded Detachable magazine. May not have been clear about this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts