New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Uberbi.. nah, I can't do it.
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up yesterday. Yes, it's a DA/SA, which I wasn't sure about, but this was the only gun in stock that I was interested in, and I was too impatient to wait any longer for my first handgun. Now I'm laughing, because when I was asking for recommendations, ScotchMan had hinted about having more than one, and I already want a second.

I was only able to get one box of ammo - stuff the store keeps in the back for people who're buying guns, so I'm a bit bummed about that. Anyway, love the ergonomics of the gun, and even though the first pull is long, it's not really heavy (if that's the right word). I'll have to look and see how many pounds it is. I really like the magazine release button on this. Not so easy that I'd worry about releasing it accidentally, but it's much easier to do than the other guns I'd tried a while back.

I have a question about one thing. The manual says, when checking to make sure the gun isn't loaded, to release the magazine, then pull back the slide. Fine. But then it says that when you release the slide, the hammer will remain in the fully cocked position, and you need to hit the safety to decock. That doesn't happen. Moving the slide forward again moves the hammer forward, too. I don't see a problem, but was curious because the manual differed from what actually happens. Any thoughts?

And now, pictures!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a PX4 Storm .40 Full Size as well.. and actually at first I was not a fan of it, but after a few repeat trips to the range I have really started to enjoy shooting it.. almost like it more than my S&W Shield 9mm.

As for your post, I'll check and see if mine does the same and report back via a PM..

CM88

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! Unfortunately I can't give you advice about the hammer because I don't use DA/SA guns... I've heard some good things about the PX4 storm though. :) Hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Very nice gun, and beautiful pictures. What caliber did you get?

I owned a full-size in .45 for a few months. I regret letting it go. It had one of the nicest triggers, and racking the slide was one of the smoothest I've felt. Definitely a very high quality machine. I didn't like the safety/decocker location or that safe is down and fire is up. If I had another one, I would convert it to decocker-only which would make it much easier to live with.

As for your question, if you pull the slide back partially, it may not be enough to cause the hammer to stay back. If you pull the slide back ALL the way (as if you were chambering a round), the hammer should stay back. If it doesn't, something may be wrong. But a partial press check may not move the hammer back far enough.

It is the same idea as pulling the trigger in double action, but not pulling it back all the way, and letting it go. The hammer will start to move back, but when you release the trigger, the hammer will return to rest.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Oh! And if you do any of this with the safety on, the hammer should ALWAYS fall. This is because the safety doubles as a decocker. So even fully racking the slide will cause the hammer to return to rest. Taking the safety off will allow the hammer to stay back.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Oh! And if you do any of this with the safety on, the hammer should ALWAYS fall. This is because the safety doubles as a decocker. So even fully racking the slide will cause the hammer to return to rest. Taking the safety off will allow the hammer to stay back.
Scotchman, you are 100% accurate. I have a PX4 .45 cal and as long as the safety is off, the hammer remains cocked after racking the slide. The PX4 is my favorite handgun. I seem to be the only one around who loves having a SA/DA for a carry weapon. Don't really care if it has the safety or not, but the smaller "G" model levers are a must. I will hopefully change them out soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
that is a sweet pistol. was my first choice but I cant seem to find one around. what cal. you get? I cant decide between the 9 or the .40, probably whichever one I find first. have a .40 cal glock now so would like to get the 9mm

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
My first Beretta was the Cougar. Then several FS92's then the PX 4 in 45.
You should learn to love the DASA aspect.
All of the above mentioned were designed for Govt Competitions. Govt wanted DA/SA and Safety. They all deliver in,

·
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
D'oh. That would do it. This one is the 9mm. I found out something else, too. Even though it's capable of holding 17 rounds, I can only load 12. After that, it's too hard for me to compress any further. Had a blast this afternoon, though, and loading 10 at a time gave me some more practice on the DA to SA transition. Oh, one other thing I figured out. Shooting in the woods is really fun, but I could only find 6 pieces of brass. D'oh again.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
that is a sweet pistol. was my first choice but I cant seem to find one around. what cal. you get? I cant decide between the 9 or the .40, probably whichever one I find first. have a .40 cal glock now so would like to get the 9mm
Go to Beikirch's in East Rochester. The last few times I've been in there, their handgun wall was literally nothing but PX4s. It seems like that is the only gun they can get in, or they just had a ton of them in the back. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they had every caliber/size combination covered.

This thread is really making me miss mine...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
D'oh. That would do it. This one is the 9mm. I found out something else, too. Even though it's capable of holding 17 rounds, I can only load 12. After that, it's too hard for me to compress any further. Had a blast this afternoon, though, and loading 10 at a time gave me some more practice on the DA to SA transition. Oh, one other thing I figured out. Shooting in the woods is really fun, but I could only find 6 pieces of brass. D'oh again.
Yeah those mags were extremely hard to load. On my .45, the 9th and 10th round required all my strength and I could only do it a couple times. They will break in with time.

I would highly recommend one of the Uplula mag loaders. I didn't have one at the time, but I do now, and I suspect you could load all 17 easily with it.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Scotchman, you are 100% accurate. I have a PX4 .45 cal and as long as the safety is off, the hammer remains cocked after racking the slide. The PX4 is my favorite handgun. I seem to be the only one around who loves having a SA/DA for a carry weapon. Don't really care if it has the safety or not, but the smaller "G" model levers are a must. I will hopefully change them out soon.
If you're talking about this, what an awesome idea. If I had known about this I may have been convinced to keep mine.

·
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup, that's it. By replacing the Safety catch to low profile ones, you can also change to safety to "decocker" only, just like an actual "G" version. Check out this post on another forum - PX4 G Model Conversion Completed - Beretta Forum. Beretta also includes a low profile slide catch too. Gets rid of all those sharp edges.
The safety wasn't bothering me until I saw that picture above - lol - but I definitely want to replace the slide catch if there's a low profile one available. Don't know that I'd be comfortable doing it myself at this point, but I did strip and clean the gun yesterday night, and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I was really nervous, but it went well.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
As ScotchMan said get mag loader by butler creek, it's a life saver.

Amazon.com: Butler Creek 9mm-.45 Caliber LULA Universal Pistol Loader and Unloader: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase. I have two Storms. One in 9mm and the other in .45 ACP. Love them both. Great pistols.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.