New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some range time today, some friends and myself went to Dicks to check out the new Troy AR. Priced at $1049 it would be tough to build something and beat the value out of the box.

It has a mid length gas 16" barrel with the new 13" Troy alpha rail with integrated front sight.
Battle axe stock and a1 style grip. Standard troy flip up rear sight.

If I didnt have ARs already this would be the one I would buy. I was at the Henrietta store, worth checking out, very nice gun with good parts and value.

http://troyind.com/

George

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
This gun has some serious promise. One can not build a gun with these parts for less than $13-1400. If it preforms as good as it should, the market is in for a bit of a shift.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
they can afford to, as it uses all of their own products which they price well above what they would cost if you break the cost of the rifle down.
Its one way to encourage selling complete rifles, when you can literally rip it apart and come out ahead.

Its like a Corvette. Worth more in pieces than as a complete car in many cases...

Troy BUIS are nice, the handguards are nice... the pistol grip and buttstocks im not a fan of really.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I stopped in to my local Dicks Sporting Goods store the other day - also to look at the ARs they had in stock. I was impressed that they had a selection, probably about 6 or so. A couple nice ones - like the Troy you mentioned. In addition, I thought the STAG 310 they had for 850 seemed like a pretty sweet starter AR. Might actually be the one that I pick up for my first AR...

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Saw the ARs today in the Middletown store. Glad to see Dick's is expanding their stock (no pun intended). In addition, they had centerfire ammo out from behind the counter instead of just the shotgun ammo like they did. I have purchased a decent amount of firearms over the years through them & will continue to support stores that still give a good deal and increase their stock as well. Especially in this state. Plus, you cant beat their rewards program. I get cash back checks in the mail regularly using purchases and bonus points they mail me (= free ammo, free hunting blinds etc...)

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Wasn't aware Troy was making complete guns, pretty sweet except for the fugly buttstock

·
Registered
13 Posts
dicks in queensbury has two on the wall. both in black. i went down and looked at them tonight. SEEM to be a real decent rifle for the price. free float hand guard, spring loaded front flip up sight, ect ect. the only concerns i have is about the barrel. Melonite i have heard grumbling about. ive shot MP15's with the melonite barrel and it seemed to be ok. any thoughts on this? other than that its a real cool rig:)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I dont like that stock... at all.. but definately a good deal

Maybe ill stop in before work one day since its right up the street and check them out..

·
Registered
104 Posts
dicks in queensbury has two on the wall. both in black. i went down and looked at them tonight. SEEM to be a real decent rifle for the price. free float hand guard, spring loaded front flip up sight, ect ect. the only concerns i have is about the barrel. Melonite i have heard grumbling about. ive shot MP15's with the melonite barrel and it seemed to be ok. any thoughts on this? other than that its a real cool rig:)
I've read a number of discussions about this. The upshot seems to be:

1) Metallurgists think that Melonite (and the related, non-trademarked process done by everybody else that uses it) is fine. Great, perhaps.
2) There's no consensus on whether it's better than chrome lining, but there's a pretty strong consensus that it's not worse.
3) It ain't mil-spec.

So, if you want mil-spec, don't get Melonite. If you don't care particularly about mil-spec and want a gun that'll run just fine, Melonite should work great for you. There's a reason that S&W has shifted Melonited barrels into its higher-end M&Ps, and also a reason why Troy is using it. That reason? It's cheap and it works well.

That's just my take on the debate. I am not a metallurgist (IANAM). :)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Even if the barrel has a short life, if you add the cos of a be barrel to the 1099 you are still cheaper that what you can build that gun for.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Even if the barrel has a short life, if you add the cos of a be barrel to the 1099 you are still cheaper that what you can build that gun for.
It's a helluva deal, but Dick's is selling it, which means a no-go for me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's a helluva deal, but Dick's is selling it, which means a no-go for me.
I rarely go into Dick's for shooting equipment / supplies, but that's more because I'd rather support my FLGS (and Dick's prices aren't that great). Is there a bigger problem with Dick's, though?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
They don't respect your 2nd Amendment rights, and don't deserve your business.

Try and buy a pistol in Dick's these days, it's not going to happen, but they'll gladly sell you ammo.

If you knew how Dick's got started, you'd understand my outrage.

Dick Stack started his business here in Binghamton in the 50's, he was THE place for guns and fishing gear.

Not only did Dick's have a good selection, but their prices were excellent.

Since his kids took the company public as a sporting goods store, they've turned their backs on what made the old man rich.

The pricing is now standard retail, the days of good values are largely done.

·
Registered
926 Posts
my local dick's also has a display of troy accesories, granted when I saw it most of the hooks where empty, just had the tag hanging on it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
They don't respect your 2nd Amendment rights, and don't deserve your business.

Try and buy a pistol in Dick's these days, it's not going to happen, but they'll gladly sell you ammo.

If you knew how Dick's got started, you'd understand my outrage.

Dick Stack started his business here in Binghamton in the 50's, he was THE place for guns and fishing gear.

Not only did Dick's have a good selection, but their prices were excellent.

Since his kids took the company public as a sporting goods store, they've turned their backs on what made the old man rich.

The pricing is now standard retail, the days of good values are largely done.
Woo. Just read up online about Dick's state law sales policies. Sounds like it's Dick's playing the "CYA at customers' expense" game. That's pretty awful.

I did *not* know that's how Dick's got started. That does explain a lot. And yeah, their prices are bad. Not as bad as Gander (I've seen some serious mark-up there) but bad enough that I don't go in there to buy guns. A discounted firearm with Troy furniture (or from Troy themselves) I *might* go in there for. No budget for it at the moment, though, and I really do hate that stock. :)

my local dick's also has a display of troy accesories, granted when I saw it most of the hooks where empty, just had the tag hanging on it.
Yes, I saw that display at my local Dick's too. Also empty, except for slings and a few other miscellaneous items. I asked about it and it sounded like they hadn't gotten much stock yet.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Buying an AR at Dick's is like buying a John Deere rider at Home Depot.......... not the same quality.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts