New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im looking to do a new AR build i have a few ars that i bought complete and this will be my 1st solo build. this gun will be spicifically for personal defense. my first qusetion is will a .22lr be sutalbe for those purposes and if i do go 22 will i be able to buy diffrent caliber uppers such as .223? my second question is since this is my first build i have some good leads on lowers and parts but how dificult will putting it together be if i have no experiance such as trigger springs and what not? as for the uppers im pretty good to go on that, i was in the military for 6 years and like i said i have a few AR's of my own. but ive never done a lower from scratch. if any one has any info or advise im all ears. thanks guys. cheers.

also wondering who in the WNY area is cool with FFL. i know gander will but johnsons was kind of a dick about it whan i asked. i dont want any problems and i would perfer to stay local incase i need help with gunsmithing down the line.

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Lowers are super easy.

I found a two part vid on youtube and watched it step by step. I have done a few now and really there isn't much too them, takes less than an hour taking your time.

You can slap any upper you want onto a complete lower.

· Registered
104 Posts
I use Johnson's. They're not great over the phone - I called them initially about shipping a complete lower and they jerked me around about illegal stocks and whatnot (yes, I know the laws, guys!). Made like they were going to blow me in if I had them shipped something with a collapsible stock. Very intimidating - and unnecessarily so.

*However*, email their customer service and you'll get Charlotte, who is extremely helpful. Just let her know you want to use them as an FFL. They charge around $30 for transfers. She'll help you if you have any questions. I suspect the guys at the gun counter don't deal with the FFL intake and they'd just rather you talk to the ladies until the guns are actually in the shop.

I've never done a lower from scratch myself, but I've been looking at prices tonight and saving $100-150 on a self-built lower (from good parts!) over a complete lower is a very nice deal.

· Registered
1,668 Posts
The only reference I've used (built 2 lowers, assisted in the build of 2 others) is the step-by-step with pictures on AR15.Com. Just be very careful with the trigger guard and bolt-catch roll pins.

To answer your other question, I wouldn't want a self-defense rifle to be a. 22lr, no. I'd probably stick with a 5.56 upper or maybe a slightly bigger round like 300aac Blackout. Also, try and keep it light - my favorite M4 is my Stag, at 6.7lbs with Eotech and empty mag.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PSA has blemashed lowers for $60.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah for that price i might get 2 lol

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just bought one and had it shipped to Johnson's, in fact. :) Thanks for the heads up in the other thread, Dieter.
yeah i know they do it for $30 but the guy was a complete dooosh when i asked !!!!

· Registered
104 Posts
Like I said above, deal with them via email for FFLs - it goes a lot more smoothly. The firearms counter guys don't like dealing with FFL transfers until they're in the shop, I think. The dealings via email / pickup went just fine for me, though.

· Registered
1,384 Posts
TheStig- as far as assembling an Ar lower, they are almost idiot proof. I just finished putting together and function testing my first lower, after watching a youtube video once. I was nervous about doing it because my tool experience was hitting things with hammers, and mostly things that shouldn't have been hit... The only thing I had to redo was the safety detent. I put the wrong detent in there, so my safetly was really easy to take on and off and then I had a detent that wouldn't fit for the rear take down pin. One screw, two minutes and fixed.

· Registered
1,038 Posts
I found two stripped lowers locally and paid I think $105 for them. I didn't feel like paying shipping and an FFL fee, so it was faster.

I think when the gun show rolls around again in the spring I will pick up an extra one just to have on hand for the future, it is nice to get that part out of the way and just mail order everything else.

· Registered
13,297 Posts
I did two ARs so far from the ground up and it is really easy as others have said. You do want to have a few basic tools around (sm hammer, needle nose pliers, correct size punches for the roll pins, masking tape, etc). You'll also need an AR wrench for the castle nut and depending if you have a collapsable stock, the right tools to make it compliant (I pinned and epoxied mine, although some might argue that the epoxy is overkill). If you need any tools, let me know and I'll let you borrow mine as long as you promise to send them back :). Good luck.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
AIM surplus has the $59 NON BLEMISHED SAA lowers again. In stock as of last night.

Someone said the ARFCOM guide <----This, three roll pin punches (not flat drifts, real roll pin punches), a medium sized hammer, a 5/32 allen wrench, and a thin phonebook are all you really need. Easy as pie. I can do a virgin lower to complete in about 16 minutes now.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nice !!! great info fellas thanks. im actually going to a gun show this weekend so i will keep my eye out for lowers. cheers guys

· Premium Member
4,405 Posts
AIM surplus has the $59 NON BLEMISHED SAA lowers again. In stock as of last night.

Someone said the ARFCOM guide <----This, three roll pin punches (not flat drifts, real roll pin punches), a medium sized hammer, a 5/32 allen wrench, and a thin phonebook are all you really need. Easy as pie. I can do a virgin lower to complete in about 16 minutes now.
i broke down last night and ordered 4 PSA lowers ("blem" ones) for myself... from what ive seen, you cant even tell they are blem lowers.

PSA stuff is great...cant wait to get them in now!

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Yeah, I got a few of the PSA lowers and blem lowers back when they were still $49. I don't think we'll see that sale again anytime soon.

Great lower... They were using AP for the picto lowers and someone else for the Safe/Fire lowers then. IDK who their supplier is now. It used to have APXXXXXX in the serial. Not sure what the new batch is.

Only bitch with PSA, I got one of the Gadsden lowers and the marking rubbed mostly off first cleaning. Almost got one of the NObama ones but remembered that and figured I'd save my money.

· Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Yeah, I got a few of the PSA lowers and blem lowers back when they were still $49. I don't think we'll see that sale again anytime soon.

Great lower... They were using AP for the picto lowers and someone else for the Safe/Fire lowers then. IDK who their supplier is now. It used to have APXXXXXX in the serial. Not sure what the new batch is.

Only bitch with PSA, I got one of the Gadsden lowers and the marking rubbed mostly off first cleaning. Almost got one of the NObama ones but remembered that and figured I'd save my money.
really dissapointing about the markings coming off like that. That sucks.

The NObama ones didnt tickle my fancy, but the Gadsden ones were cool i thought.

$49 yea, those days are over unless Obama loses then MAYBE 6-8 months after Romney wins would a special of that kind be available again.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.