New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered 1000 rounds from another post. Spoke with seller today who advised that when they came in, he thought they were reloads. He called manufacturer who advised its all new brass, up to LC spec but manufactuer isn't equiped to polish casings before assembly. Has anybody heard/seen this before? Any problems with using unpolished casings in gun e.g. Feed problems, etc? This is probably a dumb question, but can you run live rounds through a tumbler to polish casings after they are already assembled? My gut reaction is this is probably not a good idea but figured I'd throw it out there. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
So I ordered 1000 rounds from another post. Spoke with seller today who advised that when they came in, he thought they were reloads. He called manufacturer who advised its all new brass, up to LC spec but manufactuer isn't equiped to polish casings before assembly. Has anybody heard/seen this before? Any problems with using unpolished casings in gun e.g. Feed problems, etc? This is probably a dumb question, but can you run live rounds through a tumbler to polish casings after they are already assembled? My gut reaction is this is probably not a good idea but figured I'd throw it out there. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
I doubt you will have any feed issues unless it filthy. That is kind of BS selling "new" ammo in dirty cases. I would not tumble it!

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, kinda my reaction too. I'm OK with it as long as it works but would not have ordered if I had known it wasn't polished brass. Still, this is not a knock on the seller because he was upfront about it as soon as he found out. I'm sure they will be fine for plinking.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I've shot some ammo that was pretty dull looking and had no issues.

I wouldn't tumble live rounds. Who knows what it would do to the powder and would it affect the burn rate.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'm really interested if anyone has heard of a manufacturer selling "new" rounds unpolished. Personally, I've never seen this before.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Chris I left you a message with info. So I looked at the brass tonight. The color is brighter, not as dull or dark. I think it was the was the manufacturer packaged it. It is bulk in a heavy plastic bag then in a cardboard case.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris I left you a message with info. So I looked at the brass tonight. The color is brighter, not as dull or dark. I think it was the was the manufacturer packaged it. It is bulk in a heavy plastic bag then in a cardboard case.
It's all good, Bob. It just had me thinking if anybody else ran into this before with new ammo. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
It is better to get it shiny but if it is a bit dark but shoots ok might be ok. They probably saved 25 cents in not throwing some polishing compound in the mix and made customers worry. The only worry is with the manufacturer is the company insured? if the QC failing on the 'looks' only or you have other concerns?. Send a couple of pics if you want.
Tumbling live is better for old surplus to get the powder loose and maybe some tarnishing off but will not do much good for you I think. Do not tumble life rounds at home. go to the country house and in the open in a safe area tumble slowly all you want and stay away from the machine. through little cuts of cardboard. Never tumble huge quantities at the time unless you have industrial tumblers with variable speed. Also if they are reloads they might not be using military 'hard cup' primers so I would not do it.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, bro. Obviously safety above all else. I don't care if its just cosmetic. If its OK, I'll send you a handful and you can let me know what you think. I think I still have your address from the gas blocks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I posted pics earlier in the day of the first case I opened when it came in. It is in my weekend special post.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I looked at the ammo earlier, we used stuff like that from time to time in the Army and it works just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts