New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(moved from News and Politics)

Hi all. As some of you know we lost the Neversink gravel pit shooting range due to several reasons. Safety, Noise and the biggest was littering by shooters.
On June 13th Forestburgh Town Hall @ 6pm there will be a meeting regarding ALL the issues within the Neversink Unique Area.
I have spoke with Matthew Paul of the DEC Reg 3 and he said he has no plans to allow it's reopening but would entertain a proposal to use it for planned events. I suggested volunteers to act as "Range officers" to enforce cleaning up (He didn't bite).
So.... I am askng you to join me on the 13th and to help me put together a proposal for using the range area for once a month competitions. I'm not sure where to start. But I do know it would involve a joint effort from every self respecting, law abiding shooter in this area and beyond,

I would like to be able to present this to him with a plan to have a club sponsor it.

Here is the link and text from the DEC website regarding this.
Neversink River Unique Area - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Neversink River Unique Area

The Neversink River Unique Area Management Unit is in the incorporated Towns of Forestburgh and Thompson, Sullivan County, in southeast New York State. This management unit consists of the 4,881-acre Neversink River Unique Area, sometimes called the Neversink Gorge, and the 585-acre Wolf Brook Multiple Area. All these lands are owned by the People of the State of New York and administered by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation.
Current Plan - 1997

Neversink River Unique Area Unit Management Plan (PDF, 387 KB)
Public Comment

DEC is currently accepting public comment on a proposed amendment to the Neversink River Unique Area Unit Management Plan. This public comment period will close on July 13, 2012.
A public meeting will be held on Wednesday June 13, 2012 at 6:00PM, at:
Forestburgh Town Hall
332 King Road
Forestburgh, NY 12777
(845) 794-0611
If you have questions and/or comments about this UMP, please email us at:
[email protected].
Comments may also be submitted in writing to:
DEC Region 3
Lands and Forests - UMP
21 South Putt Corners Road
New Paltz, NY 12561-1620

Thoughts???

I can be contacted either here or via email [email protected]

Thank you for your impending support.​

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
You other thread got shut down because there is already another thread discussing this. I suggest you repost this in the other thread that is linked in your old one because this one will get locked as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah this is the thread Jeff was refering to..

·
6,795 Posts
oh ok lol my bad.

Ummmmm I am confused. It seems to me the pit is still open to target shooting. They are proposing to shut it down. So that doesnt go into effect until they pass it. So how can they have it closed before they pass the new management plan?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mathew Paul closed it BC of the mess and said to me he has no plans to allow it to reopen. Suck but it's what we are dealing with. Here is the section from the amendment they are pushing through that would make it permanent.

Cold Spring Road Gravel Pit​
The Department allows limited target shooting on many of its state landsprovided that such activity is done in a safe manner, does not interfere with theenjoyment of the property by other users and does not impact the resources ofthe land. Regulations [NYCRR Part 190.8 (bb)] address many of the issuesassociated with shooting on State Land. The Department maintains the right to​
close areas to target shooting if the activity is violating EnvironmentalConservation Law, State Land Regulations, or is inconsistent with ourmanagement efforts on the property.The Gravel Pit on Cold Spring Road has been used by target shooters for manyyears. Recently, it has been brought to our attention that the level of use isexcessive and affecting the quality of life of our neighbors. Some members ofthe public have also observed unsafe practices by some of the users. Afterinvestigating the complaints, the Department found that the area was littered withrubbish associated with target shooting and showed evidence that the level ofuse was inconsistent with our management goals and objectives for State Lands.The Department plans to clean the rubbish at the site and close it to targetshooting.

This is what we need to fight....​

·
6,795 Posts
This is the law they reference in your post above.

ab) No person shall possess breakable targets, including but not limited to clay pigeons, on State lands and no person shall target shoot at breakable targets, including but not limited to clay pigeons and glass containers, on State lands. Unless legally engaged in the act of hunting, no person shall discharge firearms on State lands posted or designated as closed to target shooting.

Still need to find the law or even rule that allows them to close areas to target shooting.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I went to this spot twice when I was in the area. This sign was posted at the parking lot down the road. It was obvious that every rule listed on was routinely broken. Shattered glass bottles, broken clay pigeons everywhere, even stolen road signs shot full of holes, vast quantities of empty shotgun shells. There was also evidence of unsafe shooting in the form of the shot up stop sign on the gate at the entrance to the old gravel pit. Two friendly locals showed up to shoot up a box of clays. When I politely informed them that DEC had a sign threatening to close the area if it remained a mess, they didn't seem concerned at all. I hope the place is opened to target shooting again, but I don't see how anybody couldn't have seen this coming, especially in NY. Even shooting spots in much more gun friendly western states get closed because of litter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I just got off the horn with my mentor Ted Nugent and HE IS BACKING US!!!!! and along with..... (drumroll...)
THE NRA!!!! who Ted has said he will unleash on them...

I will be reposting this comment on all the threads!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts