New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bad news, I'm afraid. While I was sighting in my 30-30 today at the public range in the Neversink River Unique Area on County Road 101 (Cold Spring Road), an officer from the DEC came and closed it down! He explained that a lead study will be conducted due to concerns about the aquifer and nearby development. Also, the range has been a mess for years, with mounds of rubbish, appliances, shot gun shells, and trash left behind. People shoot in all different directions as there is no set area from which to shoot, no target area, and no rules of any kind posted. Quite frankly, every time I go there I half expect to see it shut down.

The DEC officer was polite and very accommodating, allowing me to take my time and finish up my shooting session. He was nailing up the "Shooting Range Closed" signs when I left. A sad day, indeed. I enjoyed shooting here for years, usually bringing a lunch and enjoying the tranquility of the area. Though there are some excellent indoor ranges in the area ($22.00 an hour), there is something about shooting outdoors that is almost Zen-like. I'll miss it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've gone up there a couple times when I've been in the area. I posted a picture of the DEC's threatening notice in another thread about it a few months ago. It was on the bulletin board by the parking lot a little ways down the road. It's a real shame this place was closed, but it shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody. The place looked more like a dump than a shooting range. I would drive up there with several other people to help clean it up if DEC would agree to reopen it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I shot there once and I am not from the area. The place looked more like a landfill than a gun range. Can't say I did not see it coming.
Too bad the laziness and irresponsibility of some people resulted in a great shooting place being closed perhaps forever.

We were thinking of starting a clean up effort, but I guess it's too late. Maybe if a lot of people volunteer to clean it up they will reopen it? Although we may need a bulldozer to do that job properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would do the same mantis, as a matter of fact me and my friends have cleaned it up a few times but we cant keep up with the people that litter the place with garbage. I personally loved going there and just found out a few hours ago that it was closed when i drove up and saw the sign.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
That is what happens when old gentleman died and the sense of duty and community along with them and left things behind for other generations that believe the gunclubs are a service they are entitled to do as they please with cleaning lady included.
These are hard to get privileges that need to be carefully maintained and people piss all over them.
very sad indeed. I am sorry for those in the area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I would like to continue to go to this range because its the only place i can go whenever i please at only the expense of gas. So i will be stopping by the main office in new paltz and try to work out a deal to get this place cleaned up and continue to allow shooting. I have a good amount of friends that would deff help clean up but the more people we get the easier it will be. So if anyone wants to help in this volunteer endeavor and i can get a deal going with the head office please LMK and we'll work out a date and knock it all out in a day or weekend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I would like to continue to go to this range because its the only place i can go whenever i please at only the expense of gas. So i will be stopping by the main office in new paltz and try to work out a deal to get this place cleaned up and continue to allow shooting. I have a good amount of friends that would deff help clean up but the more people we get the easier it will be. So if anyone wants to help in this volunteer endeavor and i can get a deal going with the head office please LMK and we'll work out a date and knock it all out in a day or weekend.
Awesome idea, this is exactly what we need to do. We need to petition to have it re-opened and organize a clean up effort.

Unfortunately, I live almost 2 hours way so there is little I can do in terms of actually talking to local officials. But if you get something going, I'm sure I could drive there with some people and clean up as much as we can.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
That is what happens when old gentleman died and the sense of duty and community along with them and left things behind for other generations that believe the gunclubs are a service they are entitled to do as they please with cleaning lady included.
These are hard to get privileges that need to be carefully maintained and people piss all over them.
very sad indeed. I am sorry for those in the area.
"Get off my lawn ya damn kids!"

:violin:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Count me in if you get something going.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Born and raised in Monticello i've been shooting at this "range" as long as I've been shooting. its about a 5 minute drive from my house, and extremely convenient when i don't want to do any serious shooting and just go and plink. As such my mood was yesterday, just needed to get out and blow off 1000 rnds or so. packed up my gear, headed down as I always do, was kind of surprised to see nobody there on a early Sunday Afternoon.

Did my business and cleaned up as best i could (hard to tell which .45 casings are yours, and which ones were there when you arrived) Walked back up to my car, put my things away, and only after turning around to go home did i notice the "NO TARGET SHOOTING IN THIS AREA" Signs. (Why they make such signs green and brown-ish in color and displayed in a heavily wooded area is a concern of mine)

I was quite saddened to see this, as theres not much other option around here, unless you have a friend with a sizable piece of property.. There is only one range that i'm aware, it is a 20 minute drive, not open in the winter months, and $150/yr..

I would be extremely happy to help head up a clean up effort of this property. Not quite sure where to start, but I'm certainly up to help in whatever way possible. I can donate time, phone calls, letters, etc. Whatever it takes. This is a valuable asset to shooters in our little town.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I understand you guys want to clean up the trash but what do you plan to do about remediation of the lead contamination?
You should F.O.I.L. the lead study, see if they have a clean up plan attached $$$$

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I will try and be in touch with the DEC this week and find out what the real story is. I don't see how the lead contamination can be any greater than that of your typical trap range. We need to get this site re-opened, for the greater good!!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Even sadder is that many clubs are being frequented with this (who cares) attitude.
That's definitely true. At my club, we just posted $100 reward for information leading to identity of the miscreants. We stronly suspect that they are non member who trash our outdoor rifle range using rubbish for targets. Latest incident was a printer and some vcr tape. What a mess!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi all. As some of you know we lost the Neversink gravel pit shooting range due to several reasons. Safety, Noise and the biggest was littering by shooters.
On June 13th Forestburgh Town Hall @ 6pm there will be a meeting regarding ALL the issues within the Neversink Unique Area.
I have spoke with Matthew Paul of the DEC Reg 3 and he said he has no plans to allow it's reopening but would entertain a proposal to use it for planned events. I suggested volunteers to act as "Range officers" to enforce cleaning up (He didn't bite).
So.... I am askng you to join me on the 13th and to help me put together a proposal for using the range area for once a month competitions. I'm not sure where to start. But I do know it would involve a joint effort from every self respecting, law abiding shooter in this area and beyond,

I would like to be able to present this to him with a plan to have a club sponsor it.

Here is the link and text from the DEC website regarding this.
Neversink River Unique Area - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Neversink River Unique Area

The Neversink River Unique Area Management Unit is in the incorporated Towns of Forestburgh and Thompson, Sullivan County, in southeast New York State. This management unit consists of the 4,881-acre Neversink River Unique Area, sometimes called the Neversink Gorge, and the 585-acre Wolf Brook Multiple Area. All these lands are owned by the People of the State of New York and administered by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation.
Current Plan - 1997

Neversink River Unique Area Unit Management Plan (PDF, 387 KB)
Public Comment

DEC is currently accepting public comment on a proposed amendment to the Neversink River Unique Area Unit Management Plan. This public comment period will close on July 13, 2012.
A public meeting will be held on Wednesday June 13, 2012 at 6:00PM, at:
Forestburgh Town Hall
332 King Road
Forestburgh, NY 12777
(845) 794-0611
If you have questions and/or comments about this UMP, please email us at:
[email protected].
Comments may also be submitted in writing to:
DEC Region 3
Lands and Forests - UMP
21 South Putt Corners Road
New Paltz, NY 12561-1620

Thoughts???

I can be contacted either here or via email [email protected]

Thank you for your impending support.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Born and raised in Monticello i've been shooting at this "range" as long as I've been shooting. its about a 5 minute drive from my house, and extremely convenient when i don't want to do any serious shooting and just go and plink. As such my mood was yesterday, just needed to get out and blow off 1000 rnds or so. packed up my gear, headed down as I always do, was kind of surprised to see nobody there on a early Sunday Afternoon.

Did my business and cleaned up as best i could (hard to tell which .45 casings are yours, and which ones were there when you arrived) Walked back up to my car, put my things away, and only after turning around to go home did i notice the "NO TARGET SHOOTING IN THIS AREA" Signs. (Why they make such signs green and brown-ish in color and displayed in a heavily wooded area is a concern of mine)

I was quite saddened to see this, as theres not much other option around here, unless you have a friend with a sizable piece of property.. There is only one range that i'm aware, it is a 20 minute drive, not open in the winter months, and $150/yr..

I would be extremely happy to help head up a clean up effort of this property. Not quite sure where to start, but I'm certainly up to help in whatever way possible. I can donate time, phone calls, letters, etc. Whatever it takes. This is a valuable asset to shooters in our little town.
Sent ya a PM

Pipe

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for keeping us informed, and for the DEC link. I read the proposal carefully, and it seems to me that all the complaints they listed---noise, unsafe practices, litter---can be solved at no cost to the state. Actually, the DEC itself is culpable for much of the problem. For example, there were never any signs posted or plan presented to designate a firing line or a target area. Think about a large parking lot without any lines or traffic lanes---chaos would ensue! And that is precisely what happened with this range. There were never any rules to begin with. I won't even shoot there in the presence of other shooters, as everybody has a different idea of the direction in which to shoot, what to use for targets, when to declared a cease fire, and what is appropriate to shoot. It was an accident waiting to happen.
I maintain that it would take only a few days with a backhoe/loader and dumptruck to cleanup and regrade the land---and don't forget it was a mess before shooters made it worse. Shooters didn't dig all those holes and dump piles of road sweepings, broken up blacktop, and gravel all over the place. It was a wasteland long before shooters got there. Once the land is cleaned up, a plan needs to be formulated that clearly states the hours of use and direction of shooting. Paper targets or steel plates that you take away after use. Emergency numbers posted. Shooting lanes designated.
It is my opinion that the vast majority of shooters will operate safely and contribute to the maintenance of the range, policing not only their own trash but the trash of the few who cannot take the time to clean up after themselves.
I believe I can make it on the 13th, and if so, that is the point I will try to make. Again, I thank you for your post.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Pipe i responded to you before i read this, so please disregard. I am a single dad to 2 young children (1 & 3 years old) but i will do my best to be there. It seems for whatever reason this guy really has a bug up his butt for this range.. The question i would like to ask is, WHERE are we supposed to shoot??? If you don't know someone who owns a ton of property, or can't afford to join one of the few shooting ranges around, what precisely are you to do?? People will hike back into the woods somewhere near their home and start blasting away. This itself presents a danger.

Furhtermore, what noise?? Its not like we're talking about a heavily, or even sparsely populated area!! I'm not sure of the exact distance, but i do know the nearest home is quite far away. Here is a satellite view. The "donut" looking spot in the middle is the range in question. The nearest home that I'm aware is at the end of the street, out of view of this image near stephen crane's pond. View attachment 9334

The safety and the littering can in fact be easily corrected. I would personally be able to commit some time, Every other saturday & sunday to "patrol" this range to make sure that everything is going as it should be and to pick up any trash that anybody has left behind.

I don't know how long this place has been used as a shooting range, but i do know that its at least been since i was very young. Why all of a sudden are they so concerned about safety that they'd just assume close it down? Why not correct the problem???? Something seems fishy...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts