New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything special I need to know regarding a cleaning kit? I have a Ruger SR22 Pistol. Can I just purchase a basic cleaning kit at Dick's? Thanks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Buy an Otis kit. They are made in NYS by a woman owned business.

Now regarding Dick's, you will find many here that will tell you not to buy anything from them, due to their spinelessness after Newtown.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
All you really need is a cleaning rod, 22 caliber bore brush and some patches. Nylon toothbrush and some rags are always good too. Silicone based rag is nice to have but not absolutely necessary. Basic kit will give you all of this. Make sure you get a 22 caliber rod or it won't fit your bore. You can upgrade to brass and/or fiberglass rods, which are supposed to reduce wear and accidental damage but they cost more than what you get in a basic kit.

Need to decide if you're going to go traditional petroleum based route or biodegradable using some of the newer technologies. Hoppes solvent and some good gun oil (some use Mobile One) works fine.

Heard great things about Frog Lube but haven't used it yet. It's an all in one, cleaner, protector and lubricant. I bought a $2500 22LR 1911 style pistol and they recommended only using Gibbs, which is similar to Frog Lube. I've used it and it does a good job. Here's a link Gibbs Brand Lubricant at GIBBSBRANDLUBRICANT.COM.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have the following kit from Otis and find it is plenty for all of my pistols and rifles.
Amazon.com : Otis Tactical Cleaning System with 6 Brushes : Otis Gun Cleaning Kit : Sports & Outdoors

It's portable and I find the nylon covered cables are a great option to a cleaning rod. Get yor choice of cleaner (Hoppes, frog lube, etc) and add some patches and some wooden swabs and you have everything you need.
Amazon.com : Otis All Caliber Cleaning Patches (100) : Gunsmithing Tools And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com: SE - Swab - Cotton, Birch Wood, 6in., 100 Pc/bag: Industrial & Scientific

Not required but you may want to get a mat to clean your pistol on to protect your kitchen counter/workbench.
Amazon.com : TekMat Handgun Cleaning Mat with Ruger SR Series Imprint, Black, 11 x 17-Inch : Hunting Cleaning And Maintenance Products : Sports & Outdoors

I picked up a cheap yoga mat at the dollar store and use it for pistols and rifles as it is long enough. Can cut down for your needs.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
That remington kit is pretty nice. Its essentially an otis type cleaning system with squeegees instead of the patches.. Those can get pricey!. If you get that, it will probably be the only kit you would ever need. Otis is a bit more but they're a smaller company. I got the otis 3 gun kit because it came with everything I needed except a .22lr brush. I will probably pick one up and maybe a bore snake.

Looking at this squeegee system I am really thinking that it is a very cool idea...

·
Registered
352 Posts
I like the Otis kit, but have used a simple Hopps rifle kit(oil, solvent, 3 rods & handle and some patches) with .22 cal brush using just one of the rods, and a nylon brush.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Is there anything special I need to know regarding a cleaning kit? I have a Ruger SR22 Pistol. Can I just purchase a basic cleaning kit at Dick's? Thanks.
In addition to all the great suggestions, I recommend you watch a few YouTube videos on cleaning the SR22. See what tools are needed and what solvents, lubes are being used. I watch Hickok45 videos on various pistols, techniques, holsters etc. He uses Ballistoil and I have been using it lately also.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I agree with the Otis kit. I bought the large kit they sell. It wasn't cheap.....(I think around $100). But it covers any caliber gun you will ever purchase and even includes scope cleaning tools. Well worth it.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
For my pistols I am happy with the cheap Hoppes kit and rod. I would consider investing in some proper caliber brass brushes and jags. For my rifles I like the Otis cable pulling kit. Also, do some research into cleaning chemicals, and stick with it for a while. Its easy to buy way too many oils and CLPs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts