New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

I have had a traditions .50 cal percussion with a 1:88 twist for a few years. Dont get too shoot it much but am trying to make some time.

in the past i have found this gun too be not very accurate. i had been using remington or hornady round balls with 60 gr of FF. I don't recall where i got that powder charge from but I am thinking that is the culprit. If I can hit a pcs of paper at 25 yds i am happy but i can't accept that as the best the gun can shoot. I am a decent shot and am not ready too blame myself just yet.

I am not looking too shoot 1" moa at 100 yds. I would be happy with a 2"-3" group at 50yds.

Can anyone make a suggestion that may help to improve the accuracy.

thank you

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response.
I purchased the Hornady Pennsylvania conicals. they were reccommended since the gun has such a slow rate of twist. I did not think i could use a bullet like the Powerbelt or similar.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi,
Just my $.02.
Here's a link to the percussion/flintlock owners manual at Traditions Firearms website:
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/cmsAdmin/uploads/PercussionFlintlock_manual.pdf
Also, here is a link to suggested blackpowder loads for round ball from the GOEX powder website:
http://goexpowder.com/images/LoadCharts/RB-Rifle-Musket.pdf
I think, if I were you, I would be patient and keep trying to work up a round ball load based on their recommendations before I went to PA conicals or Powerbelts.
Pay close attention to the type of patch and lube you're using too.
That 1 in 66 barrel you've got is, from anything I've read, is meant for shooting round balls.
I wish we lived closer. I just acquired a couple of .50 cal sidelocks that I have to get ready for the m/l season in Oct.
It would be fun to compare notes.
Good Luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Best thing to do is watch a few videos to get a general idea of the powders to use. America's Number 1 Muzzleloader Connecticut Valley Arms - Manufacturers of the Accura, Electra, Kodiak Pro, Optima Elite, Optima Elite Combos, Elkhorn Pro, Buckhorn, Wolf has some really good walk threw videos and so does youtube. Of course NEVER USE SMOKELESS but the few places I have read about roundballs is they use 80 grains. Try a box of 50 grain and 30 grain 50 cal pyrodex pellets and use one of each per shot. If your looking for accuracy then be sure to swab the barrel after every shot. Best of luck on the range buddy. The powerbelt rounds are for the newer rifles with like a 1:33 twist.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
AS DM said, the Powerbelts are mainly used in the newer guns BUT I have seen guys use them in the percussion rifles with good results. They couple them with pellets, of which manufacture I don't know. Personally, I would do as suggested and keep trying different combos of powders and bullets. Good luck and please let us know what the results are.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[QUOTE If your looking for accuracy then be sure to swab the barrel after every shot. .[/QUOTE]

What should i use too swab the barrell after each shot?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
what i used to swab out my thompson center hawken with the same twist as yours was just a cleaning jag and a alcohol pad used for prepping skin ivs or injections. the pads are the same size and thickness as a normal cleaning patch and the alcohol as oppossed to water not only breaks down the residue but dries immediately after use so it doesnt foul your powder for your next shot. happy shooting and sorry for any misspellings

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I shelved this damn thing. took it too the range back in september (sorry forgot the update) once more and did some futzing around with charges. I ran out of patients with it. Gun is a lemon. It will make a great club if i ever run out of ammo for my other guns. Maybe I will hang it in the hunting camp where it can collect dust and at least look pretty.

I have since crossed over to the dark side and brought an Inline.......;)

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Steve
You should tie in with someone next spring-summer and try it again. We take BP guns with us when we go shooting for the day, once you get the hang of it it's fun. We take my Traditions cap-lock rifle, It has two barrels that change out with the slide wedge, a 36cal. and a 50cal. The 50 cal.uses 90 grains of 3fff blackpowder, It will shoot 3" groups at ahundred yards with a rest.
My shooting friend just bought a 50cal. cap-lock kit gun out of Cabelas a few months ago that he used for BP Elk Hunting ast month, 90 grains with the conical bullet, 5" groups at a hundred yardswith a rest.
He hasa old type single-shot 50 caliber kit gun from Cabelas and a 45cal. Old Navy revolver from Cabelas made in Italy thats fun to shoot as well.
I want to buy a Stainless-steel Old Army or an Old Navy revolver Either a 44cal. or a 45cal revolver. Either a Ruger or a Remington. I'veseen the Remington stainless-steel at the gunshow last month for $650, if I had the extra cash I would of bought it.

For sighting your gun in I'd buy a cheap gun rest so it takes the woble out of the equasion and start at 60 grains of 3fff Pyrodex or 3fff of Blackpowder and increase it 5 grains untill you kit the mark, then back off 5 grains. Then swith the ammo and do it all over again until you get the powder & bullet to zero in and keep notes. Then you will have the different loads for the different types of bullet you want to use.
My son used the 36cal for squirrel hunting and would take their heads off.
I you hang it on the wall for a dust collector your going to miss out on some fun shooting.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Patch thickness! I shot my cva with a .020 patch for too long. Test different thicknesses and ended up at .015 with better accuracy and it loaded Easyer.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Patch thickness! I shot my cva with a .020 patch for too long. Test different thicknesses and ended up at .015 with better accuracy and it loaded Easyer.
:bang: i never thought of changing the patch thickness. honestly would not have thought it would actually make a difference.

I think the gun is a lemon but i guess i could try that in the spring. I only tried FF but i worked from 60gr up too 100gr also using 5 gr increments. I should of taken photos of the targets and posted them cause some of you here may have been able to decipher the groups. the gun was always shot of a rest when i was trying to dial it in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts