New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get my first firearm and I'm thinking I really want an assault rifle of some kind, semi-automatic :) I've been reading some of the information on this site about what's legal and illegal in NYS so I have a very basic idea of what I can and cannot get...

I would really appreciate some advice on how to find something that is good quality and somewhat simple to use safely as I have used a semi-auto rifle before but I am still new to this :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Just some backgroung may help. What is your shooting experience and what type of guns have you shot in the past and what calibers? if this is your first shooting expereince or one of your first i would probably not recomment a semi auto assault rifle for a first purchase.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
First, the term "assault rifle" is frowned upon. It's just a rifle. That term is something the anti-gun people use to demonize guns.

What are you going to do with it? Learn to shoot at long distances? Hunt? Target shoot at close to medium ranges?

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
A Saiga .223 is a good start in my opinion. Cost effective,reliable, simple and will eat any kind of ammo without a problem. Start shooting with the iron sights. Follow the firearm safety rules and just about any modern firearm can be used safely.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
A Ruger 10/22 is, in my opinion, the best option. Or even a S&W MP15-22. Keep ammo costs and maintenance low on your first gun, then get more complex as you go. .22 ammo can be had at Wal-Mart for stupidly cheap ($15-20 for 500rds).

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Gottcha. I am sure I will catch flack but every time I go to the range the statement I am about to make is backed up by personal observation.

A very high percentage of people I see shooting the EBR's have no freaking shooting skills at all. They can throw lead and weigh the backstops down in case of a tornado but they can't hit the broad side of a barn if they were standing inside of it. This is my opinion ---I do not think a new or inexperienced shooter should learn on an ERB or any semi auto for that matter. There is no need. it should be about handling the weapon at first...then shooting form and all of that is best handled on a different platform.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I agree with a .22 many options and cheap to shoot to get used to everything in my opinion i would go with the sig sauer 522 because its not plastic if you want a feel of a real rifle thats the way to go if not the ruger 10/22 is the ar15 of .22's m&p 15/22 remington 597 all are good and cheap and are great to learn and have fun with

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
AI do not think a new or inexperienced shooter should learn on an ERB or any semi auto for that matter. There is no need. it should be about handling the weapon at first...then shooting form and all of that is best handled on a different platform.
A different platform isn't going to alter the level of suckatude or lack of real useful focus in an individuals skillset.
Its just as easy to look stupid with a bolt gun, muzzle loader or BB gun.
Only difference is with the EBR they get to look stupid multiple times a minute.

They've all got used~the~same sighting systems (front dot or post aligned with apeture or V~notch, or some kind of optic), they've all got simular controls (safety, trigger, some form of bolt manipulation device), they all are handled about the same way (prone, standing, bench, etc.)

A dumb**** is going to act like a dumb**** even if he's just throwing rocks.

Really, saying someone needs a different platform because they act too stupid with the one they have is like saying someone who drives a hot hatch like an idiot is suddenly going to become Miss Daisy's uber sedate chaffeur <sp> if you put them in a Yugo instead.

·
Registered
687 Posts
A different platform isn't going to alter the level of suckatude or lack of real useful focus in an individuals skillset.
Its just as easy to look stupid with a bolt gun, muzzle loader or BB gun.
Only difference is with the EBR they get to look stupid multiple times a minute.

They've all got used~the~same sighting systems (front dot or post aligned with apeture or V~notch, or some kind of optic), they've all got simular controls (safety, trigger, some form of bolt manipulation device), they all are handled about the same way (prone, standing, bench, etc.)

A dumb**** is going to act like a dumb**** even if he's just throwing rocks.

Really, saying someone needs a different platform because they act too stupid with the one they have is like saying someone who drives a hot hatch like an idiot is suddenly going to become Miss Daisy's uber sedate chaffeur <sp> if you put them in a Yugo instead.
I have to respectfully disagree. Maybe it is from my hunting background. where making the first shot count was the focus and what was beat into my head. I don't believe a begininner is doing the right thing starting on a semi....any semi. A more appropriate analogy would be a driving permit holder being handed the key to a Ferarri. what is that potential for trouble?

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
i. A more appropriate analogy would be a driving permit holder being handed the key to a Ferarri. what is that potential for trouble?
The AR is more of a Chevy than Ferrari. I know a lot of people that own AR's. I don't know anyone with a Ferrari.

I don't see the problem with learning on the gun you want to use.

·
Registered
687 Posts
You don't ...I do. I guess it is a matter of preference. If I am teaching a new shooter I am not putting a semi in their hands.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
what is that potential for trouble?
Roughly the same as if they were given the keys to a Chevette
If they don't know how to drive, its not going to make a difference in what vehicle they wreck.

With proper focus and instruction, you can have a 12 year old kid driving a Ferrari (if they can reach the pedals anyway), a race car (dirt or asphalt) or shifter kart (screaming 120mph+ road course rod), yet they are unable to even get thier permit.

This does not mean that they will be completely inept rolling road hazards. Just that they began learning in (on?) some other piece of equiptment than the driver's ed Plymouth. (and likely have a higher level of respect for what 'performace' actually is like, because they've been there, done that)

Everyone I know who hunts uses a semi auto, and they manage to get it done in one shot also :shrug:

Anyway, instruction and responsibility would be the pre~requisites IMO, as opposed to the type of tool utilized.
Not mockery for choice of tool and personal foolishness.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If I am teaching a new shooter I am not putting a semi in their hands.
Because somehow they are going to immediately drop 80 IQ points, go all bloodlust mag dump spray and pray if you do?

Not if you're instructing well.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Sure is a lot of advice given without anyone knowing what kind of shooting the OP wants to learn or use it for.

·
Registered
687 Posts
With proper focus and instruction, you can have a 12 year old kid driving a Ferrari (if they can reach the pedals anyway), a race car (dirt or asphalt) or shifter kart (screaming 120mph+ road course rod), yet they are unable to even get thier permit.

Everyone I know who hunts uses a semi auto, and they manage to get it done in one shot also :shrug:

I agree that they can be instructed to do so....BUT do you start them out on one. DO you take that 12 yo kid and thrown them behind the wheel of any one of the vehicles you listed?

As far as the hunters you know....did everyone start out on a semi? I am not talking about use as a person progresses. The OP was an initial purchase for a new shooter. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I guess we were just raised differently.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts