New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this odd offer to barter tattoo work for a boat, I dont really need a boat, dont really want a boat, dont have a vehicle to tow a boat, and dont have a good choice of places to store a boat. But the better half has fond memories of boat fishing with her family and was very excited so long story short Im going to check it out tonight at 7p if the rain holds off, if not then in the next few days.

Its a 1959 thunderbird with evinrude motor, gentleman says its water worthy just needs cleaning and paint. These are the pics he sent me.

Boat Vehicle Watercraft Naval architecture Sky Wheel Boat trailer Tire Vehicle Sky Plant Automotive tire Tree Automotive lighting Asphalt Window Plant Building Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

All in all how big of a headache am I getting myself into? What would the value on something like this be worth if it is in the shape he claims? How much does registering a boat run? Do I want to be a boat person? lol Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
That boat is old as dirt and will be a money pit. It will be cheaper to do the tattoo work for free. Spend your money on your camper instead.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
As a boat mechanic for over 20 years I can offer this: You don't want to own a boat. You want to have a good friend that owns a boat to take you boating but you definitively don't want to own a boat.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
"Just needs cleaning and paint"....Yeahhhh...Pretty sure that boat needs just a bit more than that. Run like hell from that deal.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Storage, towing, registration, insurance, boating classes. That is one old boat and will sink you.
You cant sink what seems to live on the bottom of the metaphorical ocean lol. Storage would be at my girls parents house, I have a vehicle I can borrow to tow it with when need be, registration/insurance would be waiting till after the camper is done, and ....boating classes? They require you to take boating classes?

You all basically said everything I was thinking about the situation, why couldnt it be a couple kayaks or a canoe that he wanted to trade lol. Still cant say for sure Im going to turn it down, if nothing else it can give dad a new toy to tinker with when I dump it on him at christmas :D

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
OK, I'll be the odd man out again, sorta... I've owned a boat for the past 16 or 17 years and despite all the cliches owning a boat is one of the best things I've ever done with my life. But IT is a WAY of life make no mistake about it. I have met countless people and have made a lifetime of good memories through boat ownership. I wouldn't give it up. F'd up a couple weeks ago and caused a lot of serious damage to the boat and I can't wait to get back in the water again.

Now, admittedly, it's not for everyone and per your own post, you're not a boat person, you don't have a place to store it, a vehicle to tow it, yada, yada, yada... I certainly wouldn't be looking to get into a boat of that age if you were not at least on board with a few of the others. It takes a certain commitment and enthusiasm from the outset. If I were you I'd pass on that boat and give some serious thought to a more modern boat before jumping in...

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
As a boat mechanic for over 20 years I can offer this: You don't want to own a boat. You want to have a good friend that owns a boat to take you boating but you definitively don't want to own a boat.
Brutally honest, you nailed it.

Shogun, that boat is nothing but problems.

If you buy a problem, you own it.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
A friend had a boat very similar to that, was from the 60's supposedly ran. When I went to look at it it was full of water from improper storage, I'm guessing the floors amongst other things were shot, he wanted $200 for it. A different friend bought it and, the floors were rotted, not only that, the control cables needed to be replaced, they cost 3x more than the boat was worth. Beware.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You cant sink what seems to live on the bottom of the metaphorical ocean lol. Storage would be at my girls parents house, I have a vehicle I can borrow to tow it with when need be, registration/insurance would be waiting till after the camper is done, and ....boating classes? They require you to take boating classes?

You all basically said everything I was thinking about the situation, why couldnt it be a couple kayaks or a canoe that he wanted to trade lol. Still cant say for sure Im going to turn it down, if nothing else it can give dad a new toy to tinker with when I dump it on him at christmas :D
Put an ad in craigslist to see who will trade you a canoe for this boat.... all good options end up with someone other than you owning this boat.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts

No, it's not required, so long as you were born before 1996.

Boating classes ARE available, AND recommended, and they're also free or extremely inexpensive (less than $20).

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
A friend had a boat very similar to that, was from the 60's supposedly ran. When I went to look at it it was full of water from improper storage, I'm guessing the floors amongst other things were shot, he wanted $200 for it. A different friend bought it and, the floors were rotted, not only that, the control cables needed to be replaced, they cost 3x more than the boat was worth. Beware.
If it came with the trailer, he essentially got a good deal on a trailer, with a junk boat on top.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I grew up boating and still wakeboard whenever I can. I love my boat and boating in general, but it's a lot of work. I've also built boats from bare mold to water testing. I do all my own maintenance on my boat and would love to find a deal on a newer wakeboard boat that needs some work. The boat in those pictures is something I wouldn't touch if it was the last boat on the planet. Not worth the time or energy. By the time you get done making it worth anything you will have spent more than enough to buy a boat you could actually enjoy.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
So I have this odd offer to barter tattoo work for a boat, I dont really need a boat, dont really want a boat, dont have a vehicle to tow a boat, and dont have a good choice of places to store a boat. But the better half has fond memories of boat fishing with her family and was very excited so long story short Im going to check it out tonight at 7p if the rain holds off, if not then in the next few days.

Its a 1959 thunderbird with evinrude motor, gentleman says its water worthy just needs cleaning and paint. These are the pics he sent me.

View attachment 34746 View attachment 34747 View attachment 34748 View attachment 34749

All in all how big of a headache am I getting myself into? What would the value on something like this be worth if it is in the shape he claims? How much does registering a boat run? Do I want to be a boat person? lol Thanks for any input.
Trade for work on camper bro

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Trade for work on camper bro
Did anyone catch the show Down East Dickering, I think it was on Discovery not sure, channels have no meaning anymore to I, but thats what I feel my life has become lately.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts