New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to take apart this old bolt so I can clean it. Does anyone know the process? I'll try to provide as much information and pictures as I can. I hope somebody can help. Thanks.

The bolt in question is from a Stevens 258B 20 gauge.

·
Registered
405 Posts
rotate, lock and twist. this is one of those once you do it, it will make sense. but I can not describe it. that is not my specialty any more

easier to let my 16 year old do it. it can be a pain, especially in that condition. I would soak it overnight in kerosene before even attempting to get it apart.....

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I'll check that out once I get home tomorrow. This thing is part of a family heirloom and I'd like to bring it back to better condition.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm...those things didn't really help. They don't match up exactly so I'm not sure where to put the coin and metal piece. Also, the disassembly diagram shows the bolt already taken apart so I'm not sure how to get to that point. Maybe I'll make a video that will clear it up a bit more later.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would soak it overnight in kerosene before even attempting to get it apart.....
Or a good penetrating oil might be better. PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench etc or a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone would work.

·
Registered
405 Posts
main ingredient in hoppes #9 is kerosene derivitive

and I use kerosene to clean up my bolt on my dragunov......

kerosene is pretty good at breaking stuff up. and leaving it not so slippery you cant work with it.

YMMV though

·
Registered
651 Posts
Temporaryscars

My Mossberg 20 ga bolt used to unscrew from the end piece and then it would fall apart. Is the end of the bolt have a hole? (the round end). Bit of tension on that sucker too until I twisted the bolt so pin is not compressed before removing piece.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I don't know either. I guess I'll just have to make peace with the fact that I probably won't be able to take it apart and just clean it the best I can.

If I ever bump into RJ, I'll just let him do it. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts