New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the Brownells stuff, worked great on my Nagant and a few other firearms but certain ones, such as my Mossberg 500 bolt, and my Yugo SKS bolt, don't seem to want to take the bluing.

I prep my metal by giving it a rub down with scotch bright and a VERY light amount of gun oil, I then make sure to wipe the gun oil completely off and clean the surface with rubbing alcohol, I run the metal until a 100% pure cotton ball with alcohol on it comes off clean. I then apply the bluing solution to the cotton ball and wipe it one, it seems to take to most of the bluing right away but I get these like color swirls in it and light spots, like when there's oil on freshly rained on pavement, any idea what causes this? If I'm going to blue my stuff I want it to look good, my Mossberg 500 honestly looks a hell of a lot worse then if I just left it silver, I striped in down and tried it like 3 times, same problem all around the same spot, am I missing something?

· Super Moderator
3,277 Posts
My guess is it isn't clean enough. Any oil at all will upset the process. IIRC the guy at the Syracuse show that sells Vans doesn't recommend cotton balls because they are subjected to some sort of oil when they are made. I think he recommends a clean cotton cloth. Maybe someone else will pop in here with more insight.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess is it isn't clean enough. Any oil at all will upset the process. IIRC the guy at the Syracuse show that sells Vans doesn't recommend cotton balls because they are subjected to some sort of oil when they are made. I think he recommends a clean cotton cloth. Maybe someone else will pop in here with more insight.
Hmmm I didn't know this, all the guys on youtube were cotton balling it, I'm going to sand it back down, try to get it cleaner with some kind of solvent spray (like orange clean or some ****) and try a different application material and see what happens. Thanks for the insight.

· Registered
165 Posts
Using the oil is the problem, you will have to re sand the barrel.dont go up and down the barrel go side to side with some emery cloth if you have it or just strip sand paper and use a shoe shine action. best way to do is put action in a vise(protect metal with towel or plastic block tool) thiss will give you a nice look and be much easier than holding gun with your legs or sitting on it....know from experience lol....when done sanding you will need to clean and prep metal rubbing alcohol will work just when you think you are done do it one more time....also you should wear rubber gloves just to keep from skin oil from contaminating. If you have a blow dryer heat up a section nice and warn,when barrel is still warn apply bluing with cotton ball or cotton pad which ever you prefer the more you coat it the deeper it should get. when you get desired color polish off residue with dry clean cloth then drink two beers and call me in the morning .I hope that will help good luck

· Registered
5,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Using the oil is the problem, you will have to re sand the barrel.dont go up and down the barrel go side to side with some emery cloth if you have it or just strip sand paper and use a shoe shine action. best way to do is put action in a vise(protect metal with towel or plastic block tool) thiss will give you a nice look and be much easier than holding gun with your legs or sitting on it....know from experience lol....when done sanding you will need to clean and prep metal rubbing alcohol will work just when you think you are done do it one more time....also you should wear rubber gloves just to keep from skin oil from contaminating. If you have a blow dryer heat up a section nice and warn,when barrel is still warn apply bluing with cotton ball or cotton pad which ever you prefer the more you coat it the deeper it should get. when you get desired color polish off residue with dry clean cloth then drink two beers and call me in the morning .I hope that will help good luck
I will try that, the barrel is already blued I'm just trying to get the bolt done. I just redid it and it looks alot better but extra coats didn't seem to get it any darker it's still very blue and not so much black like I want, I really need to get a blow dryer to heat up the parts and some rubber gloves and a vice, they would come in handy for more then just bluing gun parts.

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
I bought a bottle of his stuff but I have not used it yet. I stood there and talked to him for over 40 minutes. The guy seems to be very knowledgeable even if he is BS'ing me. He told me to use simple green or non chlorinated brake cleaner to remove the grease. Also he said is to take a hair dryer to the barrel to release the oil in the metal and then use the simple green.

James

· Super Moderator
3,277 Posts
I haven't used Brownell's stuff but Van's has been very good to me for a number of years. Clean is the key with Van's, I imagine that is the case with Brownell's too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.