New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put together a 10/22 last year. Volquartsen THM barrel, Kidd receiver and trigger, tactical solution stock, with a Nikon P-22 scope. Gun shot great. 10 rounds in the same hole @ 25 yards. Put it into the safe for the winter. Took it out in the spring and the thing is shooting all over the place. Shooting 5" groups @ 25 yards. Took it all apart. cleaned , tightened it up, and it got a little better. Then all of a sudden, boom, 5 shots same hole. Figure whatever was off is back. Took it out tonight and back to 4" groups. Tried changing the scope - nothing. I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
387 Posts
How many shots before the groups tighten up? Seems like those guns like 10 rounds of warm up at each range session before they start to group.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If it shoots consistent after it warms up each time, that may just be it.

If you've eliminated the obvious points on the 10/22, and you do not feel it is user error, then it is likely the ammo. Try some Eley Match or Lapua Midas/X and see how that shoots cold.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Some old guys at the range told me never to clean a target rifle... it likes to get to where it needs to be and then just shoot the hell out of it until it shoots like crap. Then clean it and start over...

Not sure that's good advice, but they are old and own rifles with triggers that shoot off with a lighter touch than a teenager with a girl for the first time.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Some old guys at the range told me never to clean a target rifle... it likes to get to where it needs to be and then just shoot the hell out of it until it shoots like crap. Then clean it and start over...

Not sure that's good advice, but they are old and own rifles with triggers that shoot off with a lighter touch than a teenager with a girl for the first time.
My rifles are mainly hunting rifles but they are fine shooting. After my last practice session once and I am going into the season the barrel never gets touched. the rest of the gun gets cleaned but not the bore. My groups open right up on a clean bore and takes about 10 rounds to get it back.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
If you have a VQ barrel and Kidd receiver, no ammo that fires should be giving you 4" groups at 25. If it is not the scope, I would guess one of three things - the fit between the barrel tenon and locking block is poor which allows the barrel to move relative to the receiver, the locking block bolts were overtightened and you cracked your receiver or the bolt is not fully in battery when firing which would produce case ruptures (which I would imagine you would have noticed). A bad crown on the barrel would be consistenly bad I suspect. Suggest focusing on the receiver/barrel tenon/locking block connection. If the barrel sits too deep into the receiver the locking block may not hold it tight no matter how tight the retaining bolts are torqued.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If you have a VQ barrel and Kidd receiver, no ammo that fires should be giving you 4" groups at 25. If it is not the scope, I would guess one of three things - the fit between the barrel tenon and locking block is poor which allows the barrel to move relative to the receiver, the locking block bolts were overtightened and you cracked your receiver or the bolt is not fully in battery when firing which would produce case ruptures (which I would imagine you would have noticed). A bad crown on the barrel would be consistenly bad I suspect. Suggest focusing on the receiver/barrel tenon/locking block connection. If the barrel sits too deep into the receiver the locking block may not hold it tight no matter how tight the retaining bolts are torqued.
Wouldn't that cause it to poorly group all the time?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I'll look at that.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Wouldn't that cause it to poorly group all the time?
I am not certain really, I guess it depends on how the close the fit is. It seem that rifle tends to settle down into more accuracy after several rounds are fired. It seems possible that the fit b/w receiver, barrel and block are loose after the rifle gets handled, put in the car, cleaned, etc. Assuming that it is rested/benched for testing accuracy, it may be that after a few rounds the fit settles into some stable state where it stays so long as it is not disturbed by anything other than firing.

Testing the theory is simple enough - if it shoots poorly at first and then settles down at the bench, just pick it up off the bench and shake the rifle, rap the buttstock on the ground a bit, shake the muzzle with your hand, etc. If it shoots poorly again after handling I would look at loose fit, if it still shoots OK after a minute or so of handling, then maybe something with the barrel? I just do not see how a 22lr barrel can settle in from 4" at 25y though - they just do not get hot or fouled like centerfire barrels.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Is the barrel right on he receiver? Scope tight on receiver?

·
Registered
11 Posts
If it's not bedded the barrel and receiver may be rocking see saw style on the action screw. My laminate stock 10/22 was doing something similar until I pillar bedded the screw and locked in the rear of the receiver. It caused a lot of inconsistencies as the pressure on the barrel from the forearm changed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts