New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an even trade lined up for a Remington 1903 WWI serial number range. I would like to know anyone has knowledge of this type of firearm and to determine if this looks like a refurb and estimated value. The condition is immaculate for almost 100 yrs old, dated 1918, and this is why I am a little skepticle. The serial range is perfect tail end of WWI and not in the lower 800000 with heat treatment issues. This was set up for match shooting, the original rear sight is no longer there. Let me know what you think value and does this seem to be original except the rear site.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More photos.

·
Registered
181 Posts
A better place to looks is an auction site like gunbroker to see what they are actually selling for. Being its been buggered with already with the rear sight that really bangs the value down. I wouldn't give more than 400 for it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
that is absolutely a rebuild. the stock is a ww2 stock. it should have a straight grip with a single recoil bolt. i also have a 1918 vintage 03' that i bought years ago. i have the Brophy 1903 book if you want to check numbers and ect. if the barrel is good it would make a great match rifle. depending on condition and the year on the barrel(near the muzzle) i would give at least $500 but no more than about $800. bring it out this weekend with that tiger and we can do some shooting.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
While I am by no means an expert on the subject I have handled and owned a few Springfield rifles. What caught my eye on this one is the location of the markings on the receiver. I have never observed one with the markings so far forward. The markings are usually pretty well centered in the area they are marked. I also did not see a small punch mark on the ledge just below the serial # which is a "proof mark". The proof mark practice may not have been adopted when your receiver was made. Further investigation is suggested. In any case it is a good looking rifle.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the input. I have some more information on this rifle. The Springfield is a "semi" custom rifle built for match shooting and is very similar to a National Match 03. It is all original parts except for the lyman 48 receiver sight and a custom trigger. Action is a 1918 dated high number with a 2-44 S.C. barrel, C type stock and milled parts. It is also glass bedded. He is looking for $700 trade value, which I have but not sure I want to pull the trigger with this not being 100% original. It just kills the collector value in my eyes, and I dislike "custom" rifles. However, I have always wanted an affordable and shootable 1903, and this seems it could be one hell of a hunting rifle. Any additional thoughts with the new information?

·
Registered
986 Posts
$700 is a good price as a shooter. If you want a collector/original i have a few, from an all original not rebuilt 1912 dated to a refurbished 03A4 sniper with original M84 scope. I also have a Miltech 1903 with the pine shipping box in rebuilt 100% condition. What does he want to trade for?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff thanks for the reply. I would be trading straight up with a remington model 14 in .35 rem with some ammo, its a pump action rifle. I have a rem model 8 and Marlin 336A in .35 rem so its expendable. Send me a PM what you are looking for monetary wise for your all original 1903 or A3s or other guns you may have, however I would need to trade as I am cash strapped for awhile due to unforseen circumstances and next round of bills in June. Lemme know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts