New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought a new house its sets on 3.5 acres the lot is 830 feet deep no neighbor to the right and the 2 closes neighbors are gun friendly and will sign off\

1-is there an official document that i can get for them to sign?

once they do sign if a LEO comes on my property i should have no issues?

2- to keep some of the noise down would it be wise to use a shed as a shooters spot since i have 2 extra movable sheds on the property?

I will be building a berm to shoot at .

with out measuring because i haven't moved yet i am pretty sure i will be out of the 500 foot range but just to be safe and not have any issues with the local leos that's why i want the forms.

Thanks for any words of wisdom you all have you guys are great!

· Super Moderator
3,277 Posts
We use Google Earth to do measurements. There is a function on it that you can measure between two points in feet to check how far from a dwelling you will be shooting. Really handy.
Don't know of any official document, a signed statement from the neighbors should be sufficient. Can't see a problem there. Noise issue will probably be dependent on local ordinances.

· Head Fapper
1,219 Posts
I'd say if they sign a waiver that gives you the OK to shoot within 500ft of their home but not on their property, you should be good.

· Registered
567 Posts
There needs to be a complainant for LEO response to this type of violation, unless there is a local law/code prohiting firearm discharge within it's jurisdiction. So if your neighbors are good with it even if outside the 500' restriction, go for it, just be mindful of your new neighbors quality of life. IOW the neighbors may actually love all things that go bang, but when the FNG moves in and shoots all day long, after sundown, likes mag dumps, etc....welcome can be worn out fast. I personally would never sign, nor request anyone sign any kind of "waiver" (doesn't exist anyway). YMMV

· Registered
1,201 Posts
There needs to be a complainant for LEO response to this type of violation, unless there is a local law/code prohiting firearm discharge within it's jurisdiction. So if your neighbors are good with it even if outside the 500' restriction, go for it, just be mindful of your new neighbors quality of life. IOW the neighbors may actually love all things that go bang, but when the FNG moves in and shoots all day long, after sundown, likes mag dumps, etc....welcome can be worn out fast. I personally would never sign, nor request anyone sign any kind of "waiver" (doesn't exist anyway). YMMV
True, there is no "waiver" but you can shoot within 500ft of someone's dwelling if you have their permission.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
If you're certain the dwelling is unoccupied while you're shooting, the 500 ft rule does not apply. You still need to be mindful of other dwellings within a 500ft radius and be sure you have a berm or backstop behind your targets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.