New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yea I know this has been hashed over and over again. But even with every thing I have read I cannot decide. I have a Ruger SR-556 and want a scope to hunt coyotes and woodchucks with. Also to punch holes in paper at decent yardage.

Was looking at the Nikon M-223 line but open to any and all suggestions please. Thoughts on magnifaction and mount advice too please.

Would like to keep it under $600 but don't want junk either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ken

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
You want something good but not too much as it is also not needed. If you want something light in line with the AR carbine portfolio look into the burris line. Nikon is very nice too in deed. The burris I like due to the small footprint and crisp picture. Ideal for a tactical or hunting carbine.
For little sneaky critters I personally like a rapid reticle with a comprehensive stadia if possible too but the BDC works just fine normally with little or no correction needed. It is not like you are going to shoot long range, I think.
In the affordable to mid range these are the brands I consider to have good value:
Burris Tactical - A timberline is only $200 to $250 but do the trick and they are small and compact. The Fulfield is replacing them (not sure why) but the reticle seems to be well though out for the average use and they are very crisp.
Nikon Monarch - (Midway has a nice little one with nice mildot, it is a mil-moa one but these are very good and priced well)
Weaver Tactical - I was impressed by some of the scopes from weaver including this one. Also Midway has special on this one.
Vortex Viper - This is nice jap. glass too.
Pride & flowler - not too popular out there but great glass, fast reticles and made in the USA.
Leopold some good ones too made in the USA

1 - 2 of 2 Posts