New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my youngest daughter (11) really wants to learn how to use a bow. This is something I know nothing about. Went to gander, to find some info and got the cold shoulder. Could someone recommend something for her? I don't want to spend over $500 for something she may lose interest in and don't want to buy something she wouldn't be able to handle. Do you pick them out based on what she could pull?'or her height? Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ask the gym teacher at school.
I learned in scouts, shot in gym at school.
You could find a archery club near you.
Womens and Kids intros are available.
Have Fun! You Both Together.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
So my youngest daughter (11) really wants to learn how to use a bow. This is something I know nothing about. Went to gander, to find some info and got the cold shoulder. Could someone recommend something for her? I don't want to spend over $500 for something she may lose interest in and don't want to buy something she wouldn't be able to handle. Do you pick them out based on what she could pull?'or her height? Any help would be great. Thanks.
Here is some info that may help you...:) Read this one over first,you can get a really decent youth bow for around $250.00.....
Best Youth Bows | Outdoor Life

Then here are some good info articles.....

Comprehensive Youth Compound Bow Selection Guide From Top Experts
Youth Roll » The 8 Best Youth Bows For Your Little Ones!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Matthews,Hoyt or PSE....

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ask the gym teacher at school.
I learned in scouts, shot in gym at school.
You could find a archery club near you.
Womens and Kids intros are available.
Have Fun! You Both Together.
Was going to do that, but there gym teacher sent them home for wearing Allstar Tactical shirts. Pulled them out, now in private school.
Here is some info that may help you...:) Read this one over first,you can get a really decent youth bow for around $250.00.....
Best Youth Bows | Outdoor Life

Then here are some good info articles.....

Comprehensive Youth Compound Bow Selection Guide From Top Experts
Youth Roll » The 8 Best Youth Bows For Your Little Ones!
Great read, thanks. Helps out a ton.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
If you are looking to spend around $500.00 it would be well worth it to take her to a bow shop,not a box store...They will fit her with a good bow,proper arrows and other ness equipment and with a dedicated bow shop you will get the right information,not a guess and if she likes it many times a bow shop will take trade-ins as she grows,and even buy-backs if she doesn't like it afterall....

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Anytime buddy......Glad I was able to help ya out a bit...!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can't go wrong with a Matthews,Hoyt or PSE....
Just wanted something that best fits her without over powering or stressing her to the point where she quits cause iits too hard. I'm liking the PSE, going to do the research on the ones you posted a little more.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Just wanted something that best fits her without over powering or stressing her to the point where she quits cause iits too hard. I'm liking the PSE, going to do the research on the ones you posted a little more.
Geez maybe just start her out with a inexpensive fiberglass bow then that way she can dabble with the sport without the wallet pop ?? One thing though,MAKE SURE you get her a forearm guard because a lot of archery shooters have a tendancy to bow their wrist out forcing their forearm in and when that string slaps you it hurts and leaves a welt and that can turn off a new shooter real quick...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought one of those cheapy plastic bows from the dollar tree a few weeks ago. So the other day I heard my power tools being used. By the time I went down stairs to see what was going on, she was outside with the bow shooting a cardboard box. She took the arrows and sharpened them with my grinder. I asked her WTH was going on, she looks at me and says these are "weak sauce, and I improved them a bit" So I'm hoping this is something she's really interested in and not just because of the Hunting Games movies.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Well,skip the fiberglass then since she put it that way....LOL.....Sounds like she is ready for a nice little compound then...:)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Genesis youth bow- draw adjusts to the kid and you can adjust the draw weight. They make them for older and younger kids.

·
Registered
151 Posts
^^^ You can't go wrong with a Mathews Genesis. They're designed to grow with the child.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I'm a HUGE PSE fan and would tell you to buy the Chaos BUT you must look at the Mission Menace. I can't stand Mathews/Mission bows, but I have to give them credit for this one. I got my 11yo step daughter one. Very nice bow for $319 NEW/Loaded!! You can't go wrong. Just look at the adjustments!!! 16-52# draw weight and 17"-30" Draw length. Without any special mods or the need for a press. She picked out Pink Tiger for a color. Looks pretty cool. :)

Menace | Mission Archery

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check out huntersfriend.com. they have a goood selection and the prices for packages are in your ballpark. Pse rallye is preety cool a lot of adjustability

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Perfect Arrow Archery Supplies, Equipment, and Accessories- Product Listing - Bows-Youth

The youth recurve is from 10-25 pound pull. My daughter was interested in Archery when she was the age that yours is now. I got her a nice fiberglass long bow then she advanced into a compound bow about a year later after she had showed dedication to the sport. Couple the youth recurve with some nice arrows ( Carbon fiber at almost 80 bucks for a dozen) and she will be off and running. I have a feeling this uprise in girls archery lately is because of the movie Hunger Games, with an investment of around 150 bucks you can see if she will stick with archery long enough to spend 600 bucks on a nice bow. My daughter is 21 and doesnt shoot arrows much any more dispite having a nice bow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Post in the want ads, If I had one I would GIVE it to you just to get another kid interested. I have given bows to several kids over the years. There should be a pay it forward thread for similar things.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Post in the want ads, If I had one I would GIVE it to you just to get another kid interested. I have given bows to several kids over the years. There should be a pay it forward thread for similar things.
I hear that, I just gave the last youth bow in the house away in May.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts