New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been toying around with ideas on what i want to do regarding my first AR. I have looked at buying a complete, brand new gun, buying something used or buying a custom gun privately, and while there are lots of good options out there, i think I would much rather build one and end up with exactly what I want right out of the gate. The plan is to build a 556 piston drive gun using as many parts from local suppliers as possible. I am going to start with an All Star forged lower and go from there.

What I am looking for advice on is the piston drive system mainly. What do I need to look for or look out for when choosing my setup? Should I just buy a complete upper? I would really like to put as much of the gun as possible together myself.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
If you buy a pof upper is a great system but it is slave to their setup and rails. Personally Iike the adams piston that is simple and it has been flawless works with many rails now and it offers several advantages.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill look into the Adams system. From what I am reading, putting an upper together doesnt seem like that tough of a project.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so i think i have my shopping list for the lower together. Heres the plan:

All Star forged lower
Daniel Defense LPK with Magpul MOE trigger guard
Magpul MIAD grip
BCM milspec stock parts kit
ARFX skeleton stock

Am I missing anything here? Also, anyone use the Magpul MAD lever? What do you think of them? Worth the extra expense or is it something I should not bother with?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Brands do not mean much as soon as they are up to spec, decent quality and fit well and they are right for you.
So you are going to build the piston? what about the barrel and tube?
Regarding the stock make sure you choose the options/ sights and/or mount and then choose a stock that gives an adjustment
option like cheek raiser and LOP so you do not have to deal with problems later.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am still researching the piston system, but am leaning toward the Adams carbine length kit. Thats as far as Ive gotten on the upper.

I chose the lower parts based on reviews, except the All Star lower housing. Im going with that to support a local business. The LPK i chose due to reviews and i want the Magpul guard anyhow. This rifle is going to be flat top with open sights, no optics on this one so the skeleton should be fine.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Good choices.
Consider a nice hard steel barrel to match the potential of the system. I think a Heavy barrel also helps with accuracy to minimize flex, even one with deep flutes. Also have a section of rail biding the receiver and tube. This also helps. Even better than integral units as most of the torque goes into the aluminum threads of the receiver so no matter what design, how much you spend, those cannot be beefed up. Most time I use a 1'oclock section that can be used for other things or simply left empty.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What manufacturers do you suggest for barrels? Do i need anything special for the piston system?

I like the looks of the Spikes SAR, but havent looked around much yet. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Well there are so many good ones but I was saying because the piston is something that will do very well in a sustain fire type of situation so you might want a better barrel that is not going to burn quickly. Also the deep flutes help in two ways. A) the wider section minimize flex when the piston strikes. B) in a sustain role the deeper the flutes, the better the cooling. Actually POF one of the things they do with their barrel nuts is that they act as both nuts to torque the barrel and also deep cooling fins help dissipate the heat. Another alternative is one of the cooling sinks like the one from JP.
Anyway I would look into a harder type 4150 (more vanadium) vs 4140 steel or even harder. Lothar Walter has LW50 steel that is even harder.
they are more expensive but folks claim twice the life with extreme accuracy. I use them and at the moment I can attest for their accuracy. I am not sure about lilja hardness but the Navy seals have been ordering like popcorn at the movies.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Check out a Wilson Combat barrel !

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, looking at the original plan I had in mind, this build has gone almost a completely different route. Heres where its at right now...

Picked up a DTI carbine length upper...

Then picked up my All Star lower and new dust cover...

Popped the dust cover on...

Then I got a great deal on a Midwest Industries 2 piece drop in quadrail in OD Green...

Just got a good deal on a buffer, tube and Tapco stock in OD Green, which is on the way and should be here this week. Next up will be an All Star LPK, Magpul MOE trigger guard, some type of folding rear sight and some mags. It should be up and running soon!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts