New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need ammo advice and choke advice for a mossberg 28 inch accu choked barrel (which choke to use)

need info on best round for snow geese, since they are always staying farther away than i can get Canadians to come to me

im using a 3 inch barrel

ive nade up 20 or so cheap plastic bottle decoys with pvc heads and some paint (including a few floating ones) and want to see if i can get my bag limit on my day off before this season i only found out about thanks to nyf ends!

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
BB's with a full choke

·
Registered
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
12 GA 1 3/8 REMINGTON NITRO STEEL #4 3". #4 has a very nice pattern. I've never gone lower than a #2, #4 is a great all around waterfowl round from sea ducks, to goose.

Too bad the days of 3" 1 7/8oz Copper Coated Lead are over for goose. Those sure would drop at a distance :).

I would shoot Improved Cylinder if your getting them to decoy if your pass shooting 30-40 YD, use a full choke. That's what I would always use, but I never did pass shooting. Just decoy them in and drop em.

Have you been seeing snows over by you?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
snow geese were flying all over the area at oriskany last few weekends

i went this week and forgot my decoys so i was screwed
spent the day getting used to my pattern on old sheets of 24x36 blue prints

they passed by more than a few times but the canadians were only ones to land (which they never do when in season

they fly to high to get while flying by

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have never hunted Snows before, only get Canada's down here on Eastern Long Island. I use #2 with modified choke in my SX3, I would think the Snows are a little more difficult to get to decoy this time of year so the full choke BBs sounds about right.
If I wasnt boycotting hunting until the Un Safe Act gets tossed I would take a trip for sure. Post some pics!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.