New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother-in-law is filling out the application to have her pistol permit upgraded to unrestricted. Item #10 on the Erie Co. application reads "....that the following reasons are given to establish proper cause for issuing an unrestricted pistol license. You should note that a mere desire to have unrestricted or a generalized concern may not be "proper cause" under the law. Cite specific factors, concerns, events, or reasons for upgrade."

She plans to answer as follows:

"I have been shooting both competitively and for sport with my husband for over 30 years. He has been licensed to carry unrestricted for more than 40 years. I am preparing to retire and we plan to increase our travel and leisure time together. We want to be able to share the responsibility to legally have possession of his firearms while traveling as a matter of convenience and personal safety. We are both 65 years old now and have always fully understood the significance of this responsibility."

Has anyone on this forum gone through this upgrade process in Erie Co.? If so, what reasons did you give? Were you succesful? Do you think my MIL's reasons will be sufficient?

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Usually when shooting in a league you will get a certificate or something from the league.
Have your mom make copies of any that she has and attach them to the app.
If she has attended the DEC Hunter Safety Course attach that also.
She may have attended one 30 years ago as many of us have, Nothing wrong with attending one again.
Technology has changed over 30 years and the presentations now have power points- video clips- interactive laser shooting etc.
IMHO as long a the judge can see that you have had training and experience you are good to go.
Example: a 21 year old who has been shooting pistol for 2 or 3 years in a league is more likely to get an unrestricted than the 21 year old who applies and has never had any shooting experience.
Don't be afraid to attach copies of certifications and such.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts