New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I guess I'm what you'd call a new member and long time reader. I've found myself at this site a good bit when looking for information so I figured why not join up.

The problem I'm running into is finding a range for pistol shooting in my area, Dutchess County, to narrow it down, Wappingers Falls. Now I'm not afraid to drive a little ways if need be for a solid range, but I just got my permit and have only lived in the area for about a year, so I'm not super familiar with all the nooks and crannies. All I can seem to find are gun clubs with dues, I'm looking for more of a pay to shoot, maybe by the day or hour. Any info would be great, thanks in advance for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hello fellow Wappingers Falls Resident ;) I've been trying to answer this question as well. Unless you know someone with some private land you can go to the following public ranges:

Master Class shooting supply in Monroe has a Indoor pistol range. ~20/hr - I go there, it is pretty decent
David Shooting Sports off rt17 has a indoor rifle/pistol range. Not sure of price haven't been there
Blue Mountain in Northern Westchester offers both rifle and pistol ranges, not sure of price but it is low but they are very restrictive on the rifle range

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Trek, I'll definitely check out Master Class and Davis Shooting Sports. Blue Mountain is cheap but I work Wednesday through Friday and those are the only days they're really open, bummer. But from what I could see online the other two look pretty solid though and are only about 30ish minutes away, not bad at all.

Yah mfaith they look like they have some real nice ranges, but just to join is $350, plus dues and whatnot, something I'm not really digging. I'd kick myself if I paid that and had a few busy months and didn't shot, it'd be like burning money lol.

Again thanks for the reply guys. If, more likely when, I check out Davis Shooting Sport I'll be sure to post how the range pans out.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,228 Posts
NSSF has a find a range page on their site. I plugged in 12590 for Wappingers Falls and 30 mile radius. Here is the page link with ranges it lists for pistol.
Where To Shoot | Find a Range

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had to register just to answer this. If you are in Wappingers Falls try the Whortlekill Rod & Gun club in Hopewell Junction... they have set times during the week and weekend that they are open to the public. Nice people and nice facility

·
Registered
599 Posts
Had to register just to answer this. If you are in Wappingers Falls try the Whortlekill Rod & Gun club in Hopewell Junction... they have set times during the week and weekend that they are open to the public. Nice people and nice facility
Not to bash your parade but... Ive gone to this club two time and talked to two different "owners" and they both look at me like im nuts because im so young. Also the start up fee is like $1500!!!!!! They do however have a indoor pistol range, a 250yd outdoor range and a big lake on site. They are also not completely open to the public last i checked which was last month. They are open i think one day a week for trap to the public.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not to bash your parade but... Ive gone to this club two time and talked to two different "owners" and they both look at me like im nuts because im so young. Also the start up fee is like $1500!!!!!! They do however have a indoor pistol range, a 250yd outdoor range and a big lake on site. They are also not completely open to the public last i checked which was last month. They are open i think one day a week for trap to the public.
I've heard the same thing about the 1 day a week for trap, which isn't really what I'm looking in to, so I wrote them off my list straight away. As for the fee, if I wanted to join a club there's ones much cheaper, but I'm not in the market for that kinda thing right now.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
+1 for Master Class in Monroe. it really isn't far if you take 84 west to 87 south, then shoot up 17 west. about half an hour for an excellent indoor facility with a laid back staff and reasonable rates. trek and i go from time to time, pm me your info if you'd like to get some range time in with some forum folk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its a one time fee of $1500 which gives you access to more than just that one sight which has indoor and outdoor archery range,indoor and outdoor pistol ranges and the rifle range 100 & 250 yards and the stocked pond and camp site.. Public time for the range they are open Tues & Wed night and Saturday morning and Trap (6 trap houses) is Wed 5:30 -9 or 9:30 for the public. And also know that with membership you have access to 3 or 4 different hunting preserves that they own. And talking to the members I know they want to get new/young members and I've never had any issues with the people I've met there.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1 for Master Class in Monroe. it really isn't far if you take 84 west to 87 south, then shoot up 17 west. about half an hour for an excellent indoor facility with a laid back staff and reasonable rates. trek and i go from time to time, pm me your info if you'd like to get some range time in with some forum folk.
Sounds good, I'll definitely take you up on that. Sadly, seeing how I just moved to NY not too long ago I'm waiting for my NYS permit to go through, probably not till the end of the year. Was just trying to get a feel for the area. Might end up getting a new rifle and heading there as well. Either way, once I have gun in hand I'll shoot ya a PM.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its a one time fee of $1500 which gives you access to more than just that one sight which has indoor and outdoor archery range,indoor and outdoor pistol ranges and the rifle range 100 & 250 yards and the stocked pond and camp site.. Public time for the range they are open Tues & Wed night and Saturday morning and Trap (6 trap houses) is Wed 5:30 -9 or 9:30 for the public. And also know that with membership you have access to 3 or 4 different hunting preserves that they own. And talking to the members I know they want to get new/young members and I've never had any issues with the people I've met there.
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most clubs have dues and hours you have to put in as well?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Lightor, you are correct. Whortlekill Rod & Gun club, I hear, has a high yearly dues and requires a lot of work hours. If your interested, I belong to the Putnam Co Fish and Game assoc. in Carmel. You could come as my guest.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hopewell gun range open to public indoor pistol range

I just went to the whortekill Hopewell jct club here in dutchess county, they are open to public every
sat 9-12, tue and wen 7-10pm its $15 per half hr or 25 per hour. They are very friendly always get to shoot longer than the hr I pay for. Its a indoor pistol/ small rifle range. Yes its $1500 per yr membership an has waiting list and you must volunteer 20 hrs in the club per year. !NO WAY im paying that.

Ill have to check out blue mountain, need to call them an see if they consider .22s a small caliber rifles so I dont have to do the 1 bullet in the gun rule for large cal rifle range there, hopefully i can use the lower range an avoid this stupid rule.

I am farliy new (past 3 yrs ) moved to ny (live in beacon) finally found a good site for local info thanks guys.

·
Registered
91 Posts
if you shooting .22 you can load up to 5 rounds at a time, if your shooting a semi-auto rifle its also 5 rounds at the big bore range

·
Registered
599 Posts
I just went to the whortekill Hopewell jct club here in dutchess county, they are open to public every
sat 9-12, tue and wen 7-10pm its $15 per half hr or 25 per hour. They are very friendly always get to shoot longer than the hr I pay for. Its a indoor pistol/ small rifle range. Yes its $1500 per yr membership an has waiting list and you must volunteer 20 hrs in the club per year. !NO WAY im paying that.

Ill have to check out blue mountain, need to call them an see if they consider .22s a small caliber rifles so I dont have to do the 1 bullet in the gun rule for large cal rifle range there, hopefully i can use the lower range an avoid this stupid rule.

I am farliy new (past 3 yrs ) moved to ny (live in beacon) finally found a good site for local info thanks guys.
You were the one who emailed me. Yes blue mountain is a good range at $10 a hour. The rule is one round at a time on big bore, but noones listens and they never care as long as your not rapid firing.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
I've heard the Davis range is nice, but EXPENSIVE, and they hold you to the exact amount of time you buy. Blue Mountain will generally let you shoot past your time if no one is waiting to shoot.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts