New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read they have long term reliability problems (they tend to burn themselves up). The flashlight snobs tend to look poorly on them, but like anything else, your requirements might be different than theirs.
I can't justify the cost of buying theseflashlights that are $50, $75, etc. WTFdo these flashlights do that is so amazing? They turn on and shine a light? Iam buying these to put in vehicles, bedroom, basement & kitchen. The odds of using them is rare. I don't EDC a flashlight (to be honest, I don'tunderstand who does if you aren't a LEO/EMT/FIRE). My old Maglites stay in vehicles throughevery summer & winter and still turn on. I just like the LED light because it is so much brighter & the sizeof them-they are much lighter & smaller.

Guns, Accessories, Ammo,Knives-I can justify. A flashlight-that'svery hard to justify spending $250+ on 5 flashlights when I can spend $100 on 5of them & get the same thing performance wise.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I can't justify the cost of buying theseflashlights that are $50, $75, etc. WTFdo these flashlights do that is so amazing? They turn on and shine a light? Iam buying these to put in vehicles, bedroom, basement & kitchen. The odds of using them is rare. I don't EDC a flashlight (to be honest, I don'tunderstand who does if you aren't a LEO/EMT/FIRE). My old Maglites stay in vehicles throughevery summer & winter and still turn on. I just like the LED light because it is so much brighter & the sizeof them-they are much lighter & smaller.

Guns, Accessories, Ammo,Knives-I can justify. A flashlight-that'svery hard to justify spending $250+ on 5 flashlights when I can spend $100 on 5of them & get the same thing performance wise.
You might have a few people that disagree with you on that one. Myself included. xD I always EDC a flashlight, and it is one of my most used EDC items. Dropped an item under your car (or it's seats) at night? Need to look down the bore of your rifle/pistol? Need to check under your car hood? Power outage? I am always using mine. As for the price, you get what you pay for. "It just shines light" is like saying "All guns just shoot, so here, take this Jimenez as your one gun for SHTF." I've had my Fenix LD20 Dropped countless times, it's been under feet of water, buried in the snow, used as an icepick to haul my ass up a slope, etc. and yet in it's lifetime it has only went through maybe 2 sets of batteries and can pump out 180 lumens. Cheaper lights may not do that, and they will use lower quality LEDs meaning less light and less battery life. For $50 I'd take the LD20 over most any other 2AA Led any day. :)

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone goes about their daily routine in a different way, but I rarely use a flashlight. I clean my guns in well lit areas, I drive new vehicles--the only time I open the hood is to add washer fluid, etc. I am only worried about power outages & if for some reason, I have a night time break down in the middle of nowhere with no cell service & I have to walk.

·
Super Moderator
3,254 Posts
If you aren't picky and are looking for inexpensive, check out DealExtreme . I've ordered dozens of LED flashlights from them for $15-$20 each. I use them myself and have given bunches of them away as doorprizes at our plate shoots. They are one of the first things to be chosen off the prize table. When they are gone, everyone says "When will you get some more?". You can also buy 18650 rechargeable batteries and chargers for these lights.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Everyone goes about their daily routine in a different way, but I rarely use a flashlight. I clean my guns in well lit areas, I drive new vehicles--the only time I open the hood is to add washer fluid, etc. I am only worried about power outages & if for some reason, I have a night time break down in the middle of nowhere with no cell service & I have to walk.
Then pick up a couple of harbor freight cheapies or some led mag-lites and call it good. Why spend $25 when you can spend $5? The problem with the lower quality lights that still try to push out the high lumens is they lack the power management and heat management and tend to burn out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.