New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was the one Mosin Nagant that I felt was worth buying at the Rochester, NY Gun show this weekend. I showed up early Saturday morning and found this gem at the very last table I reached. An older gentleman was selling off many of his old rifles and among them was this rifle. I could tell right away it was a probable SCW rifle, and it was the only non-refurb M91/30 at the entire show! He said he had bought it back in the 1950's when he owned a shop and they received a large amount of these Mosin Nagants. Sounded like a SCW rifle to me, so at $125 I felt it was completely worth it even if it wasn't SCW. Here are the facts:

-Non-Soviet refurb 1936 Izhevsk M91/30
-All parts on the rifle are Izhevsk and correct for the rifle, including the stock, except for a mismatch bolt and an un-numbered Izhevsk buttplate
-No cleaning rod
-No Spanish specific marks, but the serial number falls right into the huge block of reported SCW serial numbers
-There is a marking under the buttplate that says "MI8". I've seen this mark before but I don't know if it's Spanish or Russian
-Under the handguard there is some interesting writing as well, though I'm not sure if it was done buy a former user of this rifle or during manufacture

Overall it's a great rifle and I feel safe enough saying it's a Spanish rifle. It matches the look of the rest of my SCW collection and it doesn't have that Finnish look to me. The only odd part is the un-numbered buttplate. It almost seems like there never was a serial number placed on it. I see no scrub marks or anything to say it was ground off. It is Izhevsk and correct for the rifle. Very strange. I haven't come across Spanish re-numbered rifles so I can't explain it.

Enjoy the photos! My camera has been acting up lately for some reason so they are a bit fuzzy. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Ya, there really wasn't too much in terms of military surplus at the this show. I was kinda surprised. In the fall I saw all kinds of stuff, but I couldn't afford anything at the time, ha! Considering Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagants are my specialty, I consider myself luck to have found this, ha! Hopefully the spring show will have a bit more variety.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.