New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Debating a move, and doing my homework on gun laws prior to moving. Love this part of the faq, and looking fwd to possibly living in a free state that actually gets it:

Gun Ownership FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions About Gun Ownership in North Carolina Note: This information is provided as a courtesy to the general public. It represents data available to us, and is to the best of our knowledge correct. This is NOT legal advice, and we expressly disclaim any liability for the accuracy of this information. Use at your own risk. NCRPA recommends that you consult a qualified NC attorney if you have questions or concerns.

For Questions about Concealed Carry in North Carolina, see our Concealed Carry FAQ page.
Q: I have just moved to NC from another State. Do I have to register my guns with the Sheriff or the NC State Government?
A: There is no NC state law that requires you to register your firearms, or notify any public official. One county in NC requires its residents to register handguns - Durham County. This power was granted to Durham County by the State Legislature. No other counties or localities are permitted to require registration.

With the sole exception of Durham County, if you are a law-abiding citizen who lives in North Carolina you are entitled to possess the firearms you currently own without any hassle or red tape. Some county sheriffs, inundated with inquiries from people who move to NC from more restrictive areas where registration or ownership permits are required by law, have instituted voluntary notification procedures. In other words, if you have a burning desire to tell a public official about your private possessions, in some counties they will take your information and store it in a computer database. NCRPA recommends that you refrain from doing this - it's none of their business.

Q: I have just moved to NC from another State, and I brought my gun(s) with me. Do I need to get an ownership permit?
A: No permit or other legal document is necessary to legally possess a rifle, shotgun or handgun in North Carolina as long as the firearm is not capable of fully automatic fire. In other words, as long as the firearm is not capable of machine-gun-type fire (multiple bullets fired each time you pull the trigger = machine gun, vs. one bullet fired each time you pull the trigger = non-machine gun), it is legal in NC if you are not a convicted felon. If you ARE a convicted felon, per Federal law you may not possess a firearm of any kind. If any of the firearms are capable of fully automatic fire, it is illegal to own and penalties are severe.

Q: Is it legal for a private citizen to own a machine gun in North Carolina?
A: Per the North Carolina Attorney General's interpretation of relevant State law, the answer is clearly and unequivocally NO.

Q: What are the relevant laws regarding Assault Rifles in North Carolina?
A: Assault rifles (the real ones) are select-fire battle rifles available only to military and law enforcement. "Select-fire" means that they can be switched between semi-automatic mode (one shot per trigger pull) and full-automatic (machine gun) or "burst" mode (multiple shots per trigger pull). They are considered to be machine guns by law and are thus illegal for private citizens to own in NC. Is that the type of rifle to which you are referring? Or do you mean the non-select-fire cosmetic look-alikes, the so-called "assault weapons?" If so, we were fortunate enough to be able to make the NC legislature understand that so-called "assault weapons" are no different from any other non-select-fire gun, except in appearance. Because of their understanding, there are no state-specific laws governing "assault weapons." There are Federal laws, of course, and there are some local ordinances in Durham and Chapel Hill. The local ordinances were invalidated by a state-wide preemption law, but Durham and Chapel Hill still keep their ordinances on the books to "make a statement."

Q: Isn't a semi-automatic gun a machine gun? I heard someone on TV call a semi-automatic gun a "spray-fire" gun. That sounds like a machine gun.

A: "Semi-automatic" means the gun uses the energy of a fired cartridge to load the next cartridge. A better term for semi-automatic is "autoloader" or self-loader." An autoloader will fire only one bullet each time the trigger is pulled. When the bullet is fired the mechanism will then automatically load the next cartridge, but will not fire it until the trigger is pulled again. A machine gun (full-automatic) also automatically loads the next cartridge when one is fired; the difference is that a machine gun will continue to automatically fire bullets as long as the trigger is held in a pulled position.

"Spray-fire" is not a technical term. It is a made-up phrase created by anti-gun organizations to frighten people who are ignorant of how guns work. The anti-gun organizations use this made up term to refer to semi-automatic firearms. It conjures up the image of a machine gun, which makes it easier for the anti-gun organizations to gain support for bans and restrictions on semi-automatic firearms.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Lived in Charlotte for 10 years, school and property taxes on a new 130k house ran me 1400 a year after being annexed into Mecklenburg county, before that they were 1000 a year, cost of everything was cheaper down there, one can live way better. 3 indoor ranges and 1 outdoor w/n 20 minutes. CCW permit took less than 90 days and covers any pistol you own, no registering each...And if u want cheaper, Charlotte is pretty much on the border to SC, easy commute.Only moved back here for family, plan on moving back somewhere around there later this year.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Working with a few recruiters. I think we're gonna end up jumping ship w/in the year. Even with income tax around the same, lower property taxes, more opportunity and a free state. Sucks leaving friends and family, but everyone i talk to says to go, and the 2 recruiters i spoke with are transplants from up here. It's like a state made of NY'ers that got fed up with the bs. I should fit right in.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's like a state made of NY'ers that got fed up with the bs. I should fit right in.
While I was there, I only met a handful of people actually born in NC....most I knew were from Buffalo,Roch,Binghamton, ect that had relocated down there...even met people down there who went to the same high school as me up here. I simply cant stress it enough how much better one can live in some of these other states, gun laws aside, people are just much happier when so much of their pay isnt goin to bs taxes,gas ect. Dont get me wrong, there are negatives to moving to a new place, but not as many as staying here........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.