New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Man that's rough..... I'm no NASCAR fan so I don't know if hes a good guy or bad guy but tony Stewart has got to feel terrible over this.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Just watched this a bunch of times. TS is a dick, but I doubt he would intentionally hit the guy. The driver is wearing all black. It's totally plausible he didn't see Ward til the last second. Very unfortunate for all involved.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Yea racing at night and getting out of the car in those dusty dark conditions wearing dark colors with a dark car.... He probably didn't know he hit him until impact.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
What I would like to know is why is TS driving in this race? For fun? Nothing but bad can happen to a driver of his caliber racing against competition of this caliber.

This is is like Nolan Ryan pitching at the Little League World Series.
Jim

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Idk much about this but I think in the off season a lot of NASCAR and other racing league drivers race in other leagues like dirt and the league where they drive trucks.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Awful situation, but the driver had no business doing what he did, talk about inviting a tragedy.

Dark track, limited visibility, and he decides to go walking into traffic?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I will preface this by saying I am no NASCAR fan by any stretch of the imagination,with that said,with what I know of Stewart he does race allot outside of NASCAR and is very much a competitive racer in any seat and regardless of who is at fault this will have a lasting affect on him.
This accident is a real shame and could have been avoided had proper procedure been followed,IMHO Darwin hit that guy not Tony Stewart.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
There's no way the driver ever should have got out of his car and started walking around the track. That's a number one no-no in racing at any level.

It looks like the right rear wheel got him on the way by. That tire/wheel combo is usually a good bit wider than the left side.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I don't think he hit him intentionally but was he trying to scare the guy? It does sound like he gets on the gas right before the guy gets hit. The driver in black had no business getting out of the car, but Stewart might have seen him.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I don't think he hit him intentionally but was he trying to scare the guy? It does sound like he gets on the gas right before the guy gets hit. The driver in black had no business getting out of the car, but Stewart might have seen him.
It almost looks like the rear of his vehicle starts to slip out and then Tony hits the gas to affect a new trajectory?
Looks to me as if he was trying to gun it to avoid him.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
It almost looks like the rear of his vehicle starts to slip out and then Tony hits the gas to affect a new trajectory?
Looks to me as if he was trying to gun it to avoid him.
It's possible. I don't know anything about nascar. I do recall in my youth (driving like an idiot) when you get into a turn to fast it's sometimes best to get on the throttle to get through the turn. He vary well might have seen him at the last second and tried to get more down force to swerve.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
It's possible. I don't know anything about nascar. I do recall in my youth (driving like an idiot) when you get into a turn to fast it's sometimes best to get on the throttle to get through the turn. He vary well might have seen him at the last second and tried to get more down force to swerve.
Seems that way to me. What an unnecessary tragedy.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
seems to me the family is going to get a big payday out of this no matter the outcome of the criminal investigation.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
What I would like to know is why is TS driving in this race? For fun? Nothing but bad can happen to a driver of his caliber racing against competition of this caliber.

This is is like Nolan Ryan pitching at the Little League World Series.
Jim
TS owns about 10 different teams that compete in different motorsports in different states . He has traveled with his dirt track race car for quite awhile now , the last wreck he had screwed up his back was in the dirt track car . That was when they were racing in California . He has also raced that same car in AZ at the dirt track in Phoenix . I'm not a fan but I have seen him compete when NASCAR is in town for their series . Most of the drivers all have side cars that they drive at local tracks while they in town for the big races . It's pretty sad that this hapoened but it was dark , dusty and as we know tempers do flair and things happen ! He owns the track in Indiana that these dirt cars race on . I forget the name of the track right now . But it's pretty normal .FYI Jason Leffler was killed driving a dirt track car after he lost his NASCAR ride at the track TS owns .

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
seems to me the family is going to get a big payday out of this no matter the outcome of the criminal investigation.
Maybe in a civil suit but in order to race there you have to sign a waiver against the track to absolve the track of any injuries . I imagine that would cover any injuries by other cars too ! FYI the crash that killed Jason Leffler , his family got nothing except his life insurance as he signed the track waiver to compete . We will have to watch but I'm pretty sure that nothing will come of this .

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
WTF was this guy thining getting out of his car? Not saying he deserved to die, or even get hurt, but, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I am no fan of Tony Stewart, never liked him or his driving style.
I don't wish what happened on anyone involved in this sport.
In defense of Stewart I will offer the following. Night Time, Limited visibility due to a number of factors: Helmet, Dust and Dirt, physical obstructions of the race car. Without a yellow flag, no warning was given to the drivers to slow down. There should have been a red flag when the crashed driver got out of his car and started walking on the track. Where was the crash crew? At least a lap went by, there should have been some sign of them.
There has to be some assessment of blame put on the driver who was walking on the track. You just don't walk around on a live track. He should have stayed in his car.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I'm not saying it was intentional. BUT.

The car in front of him gave the guy room, they were under yellow, there was a good space between Tony and the car in front of him, right before Tony accelerated and went sideways (to the left, swinging the rear away from the deceased).

Tony was high on the track where there was a car into the wall. The track is lighted, it's not like they race and can't see a thing. The other driver avoided the walker (out of the car, he's walking, not driving)

Tony Stewart has a documented history of hot headedness in racing.

Tony had the line, but the guy did have that space...

It would not shock me if he intentionally came close to this guy, and misjudged the results.

He did in fact accelerate enough to kick the car sideways right before impact, and it looks like he got caught up in the tire for about 10-20 feet with Tony still on the throttle.

Stewart has been a douche on track, and I can remember when it was questionable as to why NASCAR was still allowing him to race. That was years ago... maybe he has or hasn't changed, IDK.

That said, drivers are to stay out of the racing lanes, BUT, they do get out and confront the guy that wrecked them quite often.

There are plenty of bad things that happen when the big boys race in the lower leagues, and they aren't regulars.

Kenny Schrader being the exception, he'd race every night if he could.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Day444, the caution was out seconds after his spin. You can hear the cars throttle down. Under caution, the cars continue to circuit the track. They're still going 30-40 mph under caution. I guarantee that every track has rules about drivers leaving their cars unless fire is present or safety crews instruct them. The lighting at these tracks, plus dust in air and collecting on drivers' visors certainly would make it difficult to see a driver in an all black race suit and helmet. Keep in mind TS was only a couple car lengths behind another car. I would bet that TS saw the kid a split second before and tried to throttle his way past him. I dislike TS, but there shouldn't be any liability against him or the track for the family to pursue. Leaving the car like he did was like walking down range to change target while others are still shooting. A fatal error in judgement unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts