New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend scored some cheap tickets for nascar at the glen this weekend so going to day commute. he's going sunday only and i am still deciding about going saturday for nationwide race. just stripped a deck and trying to get that recovered before the rain comes back. we got lucky last year and scored cheap tickets off craigslist for turn 11. this year is the seneca stand at the bottom of turn 1. miss the old days at the glen when you could just about get any where on a gen admission ticket, watkins has turned into a real money event. last years race was a good show with a hard shoot out at the end, hope for the same this year. only wish is that it was formula 1 cars on the track instead of nascar.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I second on the F1 request, NASCAR is fun on a road course but I've never really gotten into oval racing. It's not that there's anything wrong with ovals, it takes skill and courage to drive that fast and close to another car, I just have always preferred road course style racing.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I stopped going the year they made all the camping "reserved". In the decade prior to that we had built a large contingent of people from all over the North East that gathered in the same area every year, made a good bunch of friends that way. Everybody stopped going after the change. (Well that and the fact that NASCAR pretty much sucks these days with the cookie cutter cars and the cookie cutter drivers.)

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
The vintage grand prix weekend at the Glen is an outstanding weekend event. It's the best weekend of my year and has been for several years.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
your right, the vintage w/e is excellent........
I helped take photos at the vintage event one year. I was amazed at the variety of cars that show up. Some of the events look fun. I think I saw an event that involved catching tennis balls in your car while navigating a confined course?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I was at the Gran Prix the year that Jimmy Clark beat Phil Hill, i think it 69 or 70..NASCAR on a road track just does not cut it for me, the Vintage Days sounds fun though

My bad, it was 1966...I'm just getting old is all. I think I'm wrong on the Phil Hill part, too.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
When NASCAR decided to take over the building of the cars , it has ruined the auto builders input . IMHO . It used to fun watching the different manufacturers build something to compete . Now it's a Chevy body with whoevers engine in it . This isn't racing anymore , it's waste of innovation that came from people who could design things that worked . Now it's just a huge money throwaway going to these things .

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
When NASCAR decided to take over the building of the cars , it has ruined the auto builders input . IMHO . It used to fun watching the different manufacturers build something to compete . Now it's a Chevy body with whoevers engine in it . This isn't racing anymore , it's waste of innovation that came from people who could design things that worked . Now it's just a huge money throwaway going to these things .
Remember when you had to wait for somebody to die to get a ticket for Bristol? Now they don't even fill the stands. Sad....

(sorry about the OT jonboy)

·
Registered
89 Posts
My parents and younger siblings are there now. Unfortunately, my step-father had to leave early as his high school friend came out of remission and was told he had six months to live. Six months turned into a week and now he's gone. A shame; he was a great guy.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
a friend scored some cheap tickets for nascar at the glen this weekend so going to day commute. he's going sunday only and i am still deciding about going saturday for nationwide race. just stripped a deck and trying to get that recovered before the rain comes back. we got lucky last year and scored cheap tickets off craigslist for turn 11. this year is the seneca stand at the bottom of turn 1. miss the old days at the glen when you could just about get any where on a gen admission ticket, watkins has turned into a real money event. last years race was a good show with a hard shoot out at the end, hope for the same this year. only wish is that it was formula 1 cars on the track instead of nascar.

That's an interesting picture. RIGHT HAND TURNS!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts