·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I love the old blued S&W's

Congrats on the purchase and have fun with it... it sure is one great looking revolver!

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Nice gun James. Your gun was produced between 1981 and 1985 (or early '86) . The 'M' you refer to is not part of the original model designation. It indicates that the gun was returned to S&W for modification to address issues that prompted the 1987 recall of the 586 and 586-1. Collectors might place more monetary value on a non modified gun , but if you intend to shoot it then it's a good thing.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice gun James. Your gun was produced between 1981 and 1985 (or early '86) . The 'M' you refer to is not part of the original model designation. It indicates that the gun was returned to S&W for modification to address issues that prompted the 1987 recall of the 586 and 586-1. Collectors might place more monetary value on a non modified gun , but if you intend to shoot it then it's a good thing.
I can always "polish" the "M" off! LOL! j/k I wonder how many of these 8 3/8" barrels were made? I know you can find them on Gunbroker and Guns America, but they are not as popular as the 4" or the 6". Something about the long barrel made me buy it. Kind of looks like the Dirty Harry gun but I know it is not. I'm starting to like revolvers more than pistols. Is that a bad thing?

James

1 - 4 of 4 Posts