New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my pistol permit the other day. I’ve noticed other people stating how their permit either says “UNRESTRICTED” or that it’s for target shooting, hunting, or something like that. Mine does not say unrestricted but it also doesn’t state that I’m limited to any certain activities. It only says “LICENSE TO CARRY PISTOL IS HEREBY GRANTED”. Am I allowed to carry a concealed pistol if my permit doesn’t say unrestricted (of course I’m referring to lawfully carrying in places allowed)?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I would guess that unless it specifically lists restrictions, then what you have is an unrestricted permit.

The only safe answer though is to contact your issuing office and ask.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
If you were not told of any restrictions then your fine. My permit says what your says. I have unrestricted and it does not say unrestricted on the permit.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
With Wayne county there is a spot on the card that says restrictions and if there are any they will be printed under it

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Not really sure why you would think you had a restricted permit if there is no way of knowing what the restrictions are.

Congrats and welcome, where are you from?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Apparently somebody should write to Albany and have your county become the standard throughout NYS. Sounds to me like you're good to go. Congrats and stay safe. Oh, and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i had this problem after adding a gun. went from saying unrestricted to nothing. I went back in and mentioned it and it was just that the lady covering for the other lady didnt know what she was doing. doesnt hurt to ask.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Maybe it's confusing since there is no such thing as an unrestricted permit. You either have a license to carry or you have a license to carry with restrictions placed on it by the issuing judge.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
My permit has the words "Unrestricted" placed on it by the issuing judge so I suppose there is such a thing afterall. The confusion stems from the fact that each county does there own thing.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Though the best thing to do is ask your permit office, Concealed Carry permits, by default, are not restricted unless stated otherwise on the permit itself, or in a letter issued by the Judge or issuing authority that approved your CC permit. Restrictions are administrative only and not backed by NYS law. If you're found violating an administrative restriction, you may be blown into the Judge who has the power to revoke your permit. Some NYS counties issue "Sportsman" permits, which are technically restricted to hunting/target. Cattaraugus County is predominantly rural and very 2A-friendly. Most Southern Tier counties of WNY might as well be lumped into PA because they are more or less shall-issue Counties, no restrictions. Chautauqua and Allegany Counties fall into this same category as they are very pro-2A.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
My permit has the words "Unrestricted" placed on it by the issuing judge so I suppose there is such a thing afterall. The confusion stems from the fact that each county does there own thing.
Perhaps to avoid confusion between the licenses he restricts vs the ones he doesn't. A clerical clarification does not create a new class of license. Seems redundant doesn't it?

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
^ Agree. "Unrestricted" on a CCW permit is a redundancy. NYS CC permit restrictions are really an exception rather than the rule, though there are a number of Counties that issue permits with the catch-22 administrative restrictions. Frankly, if I lived in one of these Counties, I'd move out.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Technically there only two categories of permits carry and premises so its all symantics isn't it. A permit with restrictions placed on it is still a carry permit under NY law. Still, a great source of confusion nevertheless.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I had a restriction on my permit, "limiter to hunting & target shooting only" after several letter to the Judge I got it removed due to the business I have. It is now unrestricted but does not state that.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
You have a full carry/unrestricted/concealed carry permit. You're good to go.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
369 Posts
How bout the way my county does it when they remove restrictions! They just paste over the restrictions with "restrictions removed" instead of just printing "unrestricted."

1 - 20 of 30 Posts