New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With heavy heart, the time is drawing near for our old family member, Puppa. Can't get up by herself. When we lift her up and steady her for a bit, she can walk for short distances, but then will collapse and lay there for a while. She is not crying, but clearly having difficulties. She will drink water ok and eat some, but not a lot of food.

Need some advice on how to proceed with making the decision to put her to sleep. Let me know your recent experiences and suggested options, especially if you have experience in Chenango or Broome County.

Thanks.
Jeff C.

Edit: Puppa is 14.7 years old (Jan 2000)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Jeff, that's a real hard one. I hope you can fine some assistance close to you and whatever decisions you make I'm sure it will be the best for you and your family. I wish I could give you some advice on this but just know that you have our family's thoughts and hopes that you guys can resolve this as painless as possible.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Had our Shepard for 15.5 yrs. She had the typical Shepard malady, hip displacia. Definitely a family member. When she couldn't walk on her own we knew it was time. Brought her to the Vet and went in with her to be put down. She was with family when the end came.

It was the best thing to do as HER quality of life had degraded drastically. It was hard to do but to see her unable to be mobile was not good either.

A tough decision but it was best for her.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
DO NOT DROP HER OFF!
Take her in and stay with her the whole time, and hold onto her!

Its the LEAST you can do!

I Hate when i hear people say that they couldnt take seeing their dog being put to sleep.
they need to put away their selfishness and be there to Comfort and Calm the pet!

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
It's important to keep the quality of life of your pet in mind, and at some point it may be necessary to make that decision. It's not one that anyone can make for you, and anyone that would try is heartless.

My father in law had to put down his best friend last year, and it was the hardest thing he's ever done. But she had reached a point where she could barely walk, couldn't bark, was barely eating (she was a lab...not eating is a completely foreign concept to them), and in general her quality of life was just not there anymore. It's what was best for her at that point.

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. You're not alone in having to make a decision like this.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Yeah it's surely one of the most difficult things I've done, putting our Shepherd down, but like others have said stay with her.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Sorry to hear about your old friend Jeff (family member) I had two old friends that had to be put down, Putty my German Shepard, would wag his tail whenever I came near him but he couldn't get up anymore, not even to eat or drink. And Doozer (yep Fraggle Rock) my kids Cocker spaniel. South Side pet hospital were really good about it. My difficulty came when the kids started crying. Pretty dang hard composing myself when that happened. They made sure (by appointment) nobody else was there when we arrived. They give you an option to stay and watch the procedure, like I did the first time with Putty, or to leave (having prior experience that it is painless) and tend to the kids. It's a hard moment but their suffering is over.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
BTDT a year ago with my buddy. Afterwards I was racked with guilt....not guilt for having put him down but guilt for having been so selfish that I let him suffer much longer than he had to just so I could get more time with him.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Happened to wife's dog a couple of years ago. Arthritis eventually affects nerves and dog just can't walk anymore. Didn't have pain but not relieving themselves can be painful. Sorry to hear. Staying with dog although very hard is in order.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
If you are asking this question, I think sadly you have already arrived at that point. We have to do what is best for them, not us. Suffering is relative. Although there is no vocal pain, only you know your dog and where she is at at this point. It never gets easy no matter how many pets you lose. Whatever you decide, think of everything she has given you and do what you feel is best for HER. If you decide it is enough, as mentioned above, stay with her. I made sure the last thing my dog heard and felt was my voice and the touch of my hand. So sorry for your decision.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
This is truly one of the hardest things life throws at you but you have to fair to your dog and not prolong the inevitable. I know this is all easier said than done but you have to do it before things become to bad for your dog. I would call the vet and make an appointment and spend as much time as possible with her between now and then. I'm truly sorry you have to go through this stay strong and be there for your friend in her final minutes it's important.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Think as if it was yourself. What you don't want for yourself do not extend for another sentient being.
If you feel you can endure suffering a bit longer then this might be the answer but if you feel
you would not want to endure that most likely others do not want the same deal and act out of compassion.
When I put my dog out she was in my arms and it was quick. Hard and sweet as they go into a deep sleep very quickly.
Had all the family said their good byes and then chocked up. If it was me I would want the same kind of treatment.
A very very had decision but the right one. The dog was not going to last two more days and at this point
she had a hard night but still not the worse that was to come so we ended that brutal state of misery.

We often forget about this or simply do not want to remember it and put it aside but sickness and death is part of life itself.

If there is a God I will never be judged for ending a life under those conditions. Otherwise God wouldn't be too compassionate I think.

You will be very sad but the compassion you give also leads to the bitter-sweet happiness it provides.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Damn folks this thread brings tears to my eyes. It's been a while since I had to put a pet down but the memory is as fresh as anything. I dont care how many times you have to do this it is going to leave a scar on you every time. And it should, I guess.

I recommend, as others have said, that you do your best to be there with your loved one when they put her to sleep. It's a hard thing to do but it is the right thing to do, in my mind. No knocking anyone who chooses not to, I just think that it is the best way - they know your voice and it brings them comfort to carry them on.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I know what your going though, I lost my Aussie Maggie 10yrs ago last May to kidney failure from Lymes Disease at 12 1/2yrs old not old for a Aussie! As said above the Vet asked if I wanted to let them take her in the back, I said no, I needed to be their for her at the end! Now I think I'll go out and spend a few minutes at her grave out back and think about some of the things she did and Smile with watery eyes and know just how lucky I was too have had her!!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Sir
We took our 13 year old Shepard mix to lollipop farm to be put to sleep and it was hard for all of us , lots of tears and heavy hearts but it had to be done. The people at lollipop were great ,very respectful and understanding.
Our cats were always put down by me but I couldn't do that with "Bandit"
jim

·
Registered
452 Posts
Funny how we treat dogs with more dignity than our elders, this should be a universal right of any self-aware person, baring that their immediate family.

You may balk but I've put pets to sleep myself and buried them properly. DIY is more meaningful and respectful in my thinking. Check the laws and avoid busybodies.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
We've all been there it seems. Nothing anyone says really makes you feel better, just time. The only thing I always think when this happens, and I've been through it numerous times, is that this is a new beginning. Take in how great your friend has been for 15 years, reminisce for a while, and then see who will be with you for the next 15.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
BTDT a year ago with my buddy. Afterwards I was racked with guilt....not guilt for having put him down but guilt for having been so selfish that I let him suffer much longer than he had to just so I could get more time with him.
I waited way to long with my friend a Pomeranian ..
the choice was not made easy because he looked good, had no other problems, could see and walk great
but his kidneys were failing
he died in pain due to the Vet's mis diagnosis, and my own reticence
I have fired 8 vet's at this point, I really don't know what I am getting for care, other than a bill for services ... absolutely no competent helth care that I can see, outside of going to Cornell

1 - 20 of 100 Posts