New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I will start off by saying yes I have been a huge picky bitch when it's come down to picking out a 1911 to buy. I have been to every LGS within a 20 minute drive and finger ****ed so many different 1911's it could make you head spin. I have seemed to like the feel of the Kimber's, Sig Sauer, Smith & Wesson and Springfield's. I have had some preferences which have made finding the one a little more difficult but when spending $1000 or so dollars on the firearm I want it my way. I've be drawn to Stainless models, 5" Barrel, underside rail with front and rear serrations. Right now the leaders of the pack in order of or preference (most to least) the Kimber Stainless TLE/RL, Sig Sauer Revolution SS Rail, Smith & Wesson SW1911TA, Sig Sauer Tracops and Springfield Operator

Does anyone here have any hands on experience with one of these or a preferably a couple of the models and could lend some feedback on plus or minuses of one over the other

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Not that I can weigh in on what you are after, but just a lil "IMO" - I really like the SA TRP, mainly because of how they look.

Here's a random image I found of a couple from some site:

According to the poster: STI 2011, STI Trojan, SA TRP, Kimber Supermatch I

·
Registered
280 Posts
My avatar is a Springfield TRP half-rail Operator. Now, I really like it but if I had it to do over again I'd have to look at something in stainless and with a conventional barrel / bushing setup (this has a bushingless bull barrel.) I'd keep the lowered ejection port, extended beavertail safety, and extended thumb safety. I'd go with fixed sights and a single side on the thumb safety. Front serrations don't do a thing for me either. And since it's a range gun I could do without the night sights and rail. Actually a Springer Range Officer would work if I replaced the rear sight with a Harrison and had some trigger work done.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So... I will start off by saying yes I have been a huge picky bitch when it's come down to picking out a 1911 to buy. I have been to every LGS within a 20 minute drive and finger ****ed so many different 1911's it could make you head spin. I have seemed to like the feel of the Kimber's, Sig Sauer, Smith & Wesson and Springfield's. I have had some preferences which have made finding the one a little more difficult but when spending $1000 or so dollars on the firearm I want it my way. I've be drawn to Stainless models, 5" Barrel, underside rail with front and rear serrations. Right now the leaders of the pack in order of or preference (most to least) the Kimber Stainless TLE/RL, Sig Sauer Revolution SS Rail, Smith & Wesson SW1911TA, Sig Sauer Tracops and Springfield Operator

Does anyone here have any hands on experience with one of these or a preferably a couple of the models and could lend some feedback on plus or minuses of one over the other
I can't go into too many details as to why and what it was used for, but I carried the Sig Sauer Rev for quite some time that was issued to me and never once did it fail me nor was it's performance substandard IMHO. Even in some of the worst conditions during training ops, it performed extremely well and actually surprised a few of us who were not already familiar with it. From a reliability point of view, I'd give it a 10/10.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I run a kimber TLE RL II (not Stainless). It is my EDC. My work gun. My training/ recreational gun.

It is a thing of beauty.

There a a number of folks on this board who have seen me run this gun and or trained with me enough that could probably verify that it is a work horse.

I have had and still have several other 1911' from the basic Springfield 1911A1 on up and this Kimber is my Go To every time.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I run a Springfield MC Operator half rail, I'm old school so I like them with internal extractors. The external extractor is like armpit hair on a super model still good looking but WTF is that?

As far as running, my Operator has been great out of the box, the other week I ran 600 rounds in one afternoon out west at Gunsite not one problem and accurite as hell. I like it because it has the old one piece rod system simple and the way it was designed.

I carry in a Gary Brommeland (Max Con V) IWB holster very comfortable to say the least.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
[FONT=arial said:
The external extractor is like armpit hair on a super model still good looking but WTF is that? [/FONT]
Made me laugh out loud! Now I'll see it like this all the time!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have a KImber Stainless Team Match in .45 acp. My other is a Sig Sauer P220 Super Match from their custom shop. Both are extremely nice and very accurate. I have carried them both with a IWB holster and they carry very well. For range use either would be hard to beat.

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
Springfield TRP stainless.
Has been 100% with ACT 8rd mags.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I have the Kimber SS Custom Target II and love it. It is rock solid, shoots straight, and goes bang everytime I pull the trigger.
Like they say... just one man's $.02!!

·
Registered
810 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Picked up a 5" Sig Sauer Revolution. Stainless, No rail, Target sights. Im going to special order the particular Kimber I want in a couple months and wait it out.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Oh and when I was shopping for mine... The MC Operator was the only other 1911 I was about to buy after lots of research as well. The tipping point for me was price.

I happen to have found the Kimber for a price that was VERY hard to pass so I went that way.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I love my 1911, and I have had no regrets about buying a Taurus 1911 either, so much so in fact I am debating buying another 1911 Taurus, this time in a matte black finish, my duo tone makes me look a little hollywoodish at the range

1 - 20 of 20 Posts