New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods if this is in the wrong place, my apologies feel free to move it where appropriate, I didnt see a DIY section anywhere else and I want to give periodic updates on the project as it goes.

So today I laid down my meager savings to purchase hopefully my new home/ studio for the next year or two. It is a 1977 Chinook Class B+ Rv on a Dodge Maxivan Chassis with a 360 2 barrel carb engine. Its in rough shape but better than I would have expected for a 77. So on saturday I drive it back from Geneseo to Webster and start tearing it apart and making sure all the mechanicals are okay. Anyone with time and mechanical knowledge, plumbing knowledge, appliance repair knowledge, ...hell any knowledge, wants to give a hand with rehabbing it I sure wouldnt turn you away. Cant pay much but can offer beer and tattoo work if your interested. Ill be posting more pics once I get it home Saturday, and hopefully Ill have a good amount of the backend gutted by the end of the day with pics of it all. Wish me luck, I think Im gonna need it lol.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
The crystal starship

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
sucks your so far up in the north, i would have taken you up on trading some plumbing & hvac work for a good tatoo

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
how are the brake lines ..??
usually these sit & rot in a side yard
let me know if a ya need some local support, I'll be in Mt.Morris Sat

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how are the brake lines ..??
usually these sit & rot in a side yard
let me know if a ya need some local support, I'll be in Mt.Morris Sat
It seems good, I didnt see a whole lot of rot anywhere, Its been being used every summer up till this one. Most of the interior has got to go, fridge was working up till last year but now isnt ignigting off the propane ( any thoughts anyone?)

Guy I bought it off of bought it off his neighbor and used it for a year, swapped the 123000 motor for one with 50000ish miles, now his wife wants something bigger and newer now. I already know Ive got some projects with it ahead of me, Im a little mechanically inclined and Ive got some friends who are more so inclined than I to give a hand now and then, and a gf who is gonna learn really quick about getting greasy :D Thanks for the offer of support :) I figuire worst case scenario is the mechanicals have me fooled and are complete garbage, I tear the fiberglass shell off and sell it or mount it to a newer van.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
It seems good, I didnt see a whole lot of rot anywhere, Its been being used every summer up till this one. Most of the interior has got to go, fridge was working up till last year but now isnt ignigting off the propane ( any thoughts anyone?)
Check the orifice and lines for spider's, mud wasp nets, etc. Blow them out on both ends if you can and try again, was the propane tank off for a period of time?

And stand on that brake pedal with both feet just as freaking hard as you can, if you have a line ready to go you'll find it. Better to have one pop in the driveway then during a panic stop out on the road.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
good advice from benellinut, if it's not the propane lines or orifice, then check the ignitor it should be either a electric spark ignitor or a glow plug, if it's a glow plug be careful not to touch the actual element, the oils from fingerprints can cause them to fail and crack.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good, maybe theres some hope for keeping the fridge as opposed to replacing it, Its one of the first things i plan to try to yank out of it on Saturday. I think the stove thats in there is going to go as I dont see myself doing much cooking that I couldnt do on a 2 burner propane stove and it would take up so much less room

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like a sweet setup! I have no skills to contribute, but good luck with it!
Everyone has skills even if they dont know it, hell even if you want to just stop by and gawk at me tearing it apart your more than welcome, wrenching never seems as frustrating if theres other people there.
:)

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Paint it flat black and bar the windows?
Im thinking two tone paint, black to the top of the stripe, white on the top, put artwork on the rear sides and the hood. The bars on the windows...Ive actually considered that.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When did plating a vehicle become so expensive? $140 in tax and then $237 for registration and plates? God I want out of this state more and more every day. On the plus side its all set to make the jump home tomorrow :) Keep an eye out for my calls Norm :D

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So for anyone following it is in Webster, made the hour drive with relative ease, steering needs some work, possibly either hanging brakes on the passenger front or a bad wheel bearing, rear axle pumpkin looks to be leaking a little and probably needs replacing, but overall I think with a little money and some blood sweat and tears I can turn this into something really solid. Again, anyone who wants some fun times on an awesome project just let me know :D

Big thanks again to Norm for the offer of assistance though not needed was definitely mind easing on the way up 390.

·
Registered
677 Posts
did you register for commercial plates ? you don't need commercial plates unless your going to advertize on the side of it.
My pickup 4x4 has passenger plates on it , if i remember right was just under 100 for the 2 yr registration

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
did you register for commercial plates ? you don't need commercial plates unless your going to advertize on the side of it.
My pickup 4x4 has passenger plates on it , if i remember right was just under 100 for the 2 yr registration
the woman at the dmv was trying to tell me it needed commercial plates, thankfully her computer system agreed with me and it does have passenger plates on it.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lol, its gonna be king of sitting on the side of the folks garage until I can start getting cash for some parts :D Starting the interior tear out tomorrow though

1 - 20 of 54 Posts