New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
She came home from work and was telling me about a new proposed law in NYS to tie property taxes to income. I haven't done any research on it yet, but assume that if Prince Andy wants it, he will most likely get it.

Anyway, my former liberal lady says to me, "I always thought social welfare was a good thing and that more people should get it, but I'm sick of them taking my money!" She also mentioned that she see's a lot of abuse of the system (primarily my ex, as well as in line at the grocery store).

She recently got a much better job and bumped up a tax bracket or two, so she's finally starting to feel the pain. She has no kids, so her deductions are minimal and she now understands just where the money comes from to fund the welfare rolls.

I gave her a big hug, told her I loved her, and reiterated my desire to move out of this state.

Later that night, when we got to bed...

She kicked me out for snoring.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Sometimes the only way to make people listen is to hit them in their wallets.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Good stuff. Perspective definitely can change along with income. Transition points like this are good times to figure out just what one's economic views are.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I was probably one of the few people at my college who believed that you should work for your own $$$, rather than accept hand outs. They all thought welfare and all that other stuff was doing society a favor. I always thought to myself, wait until these people get a real job, then they'll be changing their minds when half their hard earned paycheck goes to paying taxes.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
"Personal Responsibility" has been relegated to the Social Constructs Destroyed by Progressives exhibit at the Museum of Shattered Dreams.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Personal Responsibility" has been relegated to the Social Constructs Destroyed by Progressives exhibit at the Museum of Shattered Dreams.
It's really interesting to me because she's always been really big on personal responsibility for herself and those close to her. It's almost a mantra for her. However the more she sees, the more she changes her perspective and starts to see the repugnant side of things. She thinks welfare should be run like WIC - very specific about what foods you can/can't buy. Lobster would be out in her book. There's still things she wants to see the government regulate, like prices around healthcare, but it's awesome to see her evolve her viewpoints.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
My paycheck went down $500 a month when I moved to this state... Income based property taxes just sounds like more income taxes to me.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's an article...

http://www.lohud.com/article/20131210/NEWS/312100032/N-Y-tax-panel-urges-homeowner-credit-cap-met

This concerns me...

"The commission also recommended tying property taxes to household income, called a circuit breaker. The proposal has been sought by unions and progressive groups for years, saying it would be a more equitable way for homeowners to pay for property taxes."

I live in the city for a very specific reason - the property taxes. Why would people want to live in the city if they can pay the same tax rate out in the burbs. Guessing I can move into a really nice place in East Amherst or Orchard Park if this goes through...

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
My paycheck went down $500 a month when I moved to this state... Income based property taxes just sounds like more income taxes to me.
When I first came to New York 18 years ago, my gross income went up by about 70%. But...after taxes and the increased cost of living, I barely noticed a difference in my savings from my prior salary. Poof...money's gone!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yea I wouldn't put it past these idiots in power. Rather than cut spending, raise taxes! 35-40% of my paycheck is gone to taxes already what's a bit more. Go to ur boss and tell him you can't afford your lifestyle anymore, so you are demanding more money or you will put him in jail! See what that gets you. I stood behind a guy in line at a gas station who used his ebt card for gas and had to explain to the cashier that there was cash on there for that. A 20 something yr old able bodied kid can't work... So not only do I pay for his food I pay for his gas too. Being on welfare should be embarrassing but these ****ers just love it. They laugh all the way to the bank... I'm about fed up with it.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I wouldn't put it past these idiots in power. Rather than cut spending, raise taxes! 35-40% of my paycheck is gone to taxes already what's a bit more. Go to ur boss and tell him you can't afford your lifestyle anymore, so you are demanding more money or you will put him in jail! See what that gets you. I stood behind a guy in line at a gas station who used his ebt card for gas and had to explain to the cashier that there was cash on there for that. A 20 something yr old able bodied kid can't work... So not only do I pay for his food I pay for his gas too. Being on welfare should be embarrassing but these ****ers just love it. They laugh all the way to the bank... I'm about fed up with it.
Yep, lost of thoughts lately about joining "Team Entitled", but just can't bring myself to do it.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Here's an article...

http://www.lohud.com/article/20131210/NEWS/312100032/N-Y-tax-panel-urges-homeowner-credit-cap-met

This concerns me...

"The commission also recommended tying property taxes to household income, called a circuit breaker. The proposal has been sought by unions and progressive groups for years, saying it would be a more equitable way for homeowners to pay for property taxes."

I live in the city for a very specific reason - the property taxes. Why would people want to live in the city if they can pay the same tax rate out in the burbs. Guessing I can move into a really nice place in East Amherst or Orchard Park if this goes through...
Or it'd be a sliding scale based on where you live. Lower rate in the city, higher rate in the burbs.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Why cut spending when you can squeeze blood from a rock?

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Social programs do not work. Taking from the haves to give to the have-nots do not work. Sure it will seem to work for a while, but this idea is destined to fail each and everytime it is tried. I love when the progressives and the libs try to show us all of the benifits of this. The more they speak, the worse they sound. There are worse ideas floating around; the OP is talking about property taxes being figured out by income, I have heard politicains speak not only of the minimum wage, but a maximum wage as well. Go ahead, laugh and say this will never happen, many in Washington love the idea. Some city mayors have spoken of this as well. I guess this would be similar to a salary cap in Pro sports. The time is coming, this will gain traction.

I am anti-food stamps. 100% against it. If we are stuck with the idea of forcing tax payers to buy other people's food, the government needs to regulate where the stamps can be used, what can be purchased and what can not be bought with them. No more "unhealthy" foods is a great start. No soda, no chips, ect. There needs to be preapproved food just like with WIC. This I know is a pipe dream, the libs would be outraged!

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am anti-food stamps. 100% against it. If we are stuck with the idea of forcing tax payers to buy other people's food, the government needs to regulate where the stamps can be used, what can be purchased and what can not be bought with them. No more "unhealthy" foods is a great start. No soda, no chips, ect. There needs to be preapproved food just like with WIC. This I know is a pipe dream, the libs would be outraged!
I'm against it as well. If the government stopped paying for people to eat, there would certainly be charities that would help feed people. If you are taxed less, you are likely to have more cash for charity.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Yep, lost of thoughts lately about joining "Team Entitled", but just can't bring myself to do it.
As I've told my kids, "If you didn't work for it, it isn't yours." My son didn't like the idea that when he found $20 I made him give $10 to charity. I told him that he was lucky I let him keep any of it since it was found money.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Sometimes the only way to make people listen is to hit them in their wallets.
There was a study completed earlier this month, and reported on this week. It was a ground breaking study, which is why it was plastered all over the mainstream media, so I beg your forgiveness for repeating this already over-saturated study once again.

You ever heard the saying that a conservative is a liberal who has been mugged?

A study on family members of "9/11" (Sept 11, 2001) victims was conducted. These folks
  • tend to take a more active role in local, state and national elections
  • the majority now vote Republican

I was not surprised to hear this on the radio earlier this week...now off to see if I can find a link to it.

Androokwomo, I am not surprised the scales are falling from her eyes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts